WEAPONS

Options

Replies

• gettinghealthy777
    Options
    I take my Border Collie, he's a landshark...Nice set of jaws...lol.. I think somewhere along the line, he has a crocodile as a distant relative.
  • gettinghealthy777
    Options
    Check this out...need to learn his moves...lol

http://youtu.be/cpIj6zyehOU
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Wow, it never even entered my mind that I'd need any kind of protection whilst out running.

But then I live in a country where carrying weapons is pretty unusual, and certainly illegal.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    I do a few things - I stay in lit areas, i am mindful of my escape routes, and I plan my attacks. That means if someone tries to grab me I will be screaming as loud as I can immediately while punching them in the face, if they dodge that my knee or elbow (depending on how they dodge) is going in. when they are either surprised, hurting, or they've backed off a little because some crazy is screaming for help and throwing punches, I will be booking it for whichever house or general direction is likely to have people in it and banging on teh door.

The problem with a weapon is ou have to be prepared to use it or you will just freeze up, or fumble it, or wave it at them. And most attackers will be fought off just by you screaming and fighting back. I mean yeah you could get grabbed by someone who is a runner and an MMA practitioner but then you are probably screwed even if you bring a gun or mace or knife or whatever.

so, long story short, preparedness is the best weapon you have
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have been seriously considering this as we've ha two murders locally this month. I do have mace and I was raised to carry a firearm. Firearm's ruled out, chance of accidental discharge is too likely. According to my 16 year old sister, Japanese steel from Hattori Hanzo himself is the only way to go...
  • Ajontheguitar
    Options
    Wow, it never even entered my mind that I'd need any kind of protection whilst out running.

But then I live in a country where carrying weapons is pretty unusual, and certainly illegal.

Here in AMerica we love our country so much that we hate each other!
  • kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    I feel more at easy walking after dark here in the boonies then in Chicago or Detroit. I've watched and heard the coyotes, wolves and bear all in a stones throw distance. I'm not bothered by them. Can't imagine having to worry about another human being the predator. I know it happens...I'm spoiled in my little hicksville area I guess.. I'm sorry so many of you have to worry about that. My biggest problem on my late walks is the mosquitoes that are the size of big bird.
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    Options
    My brain.
    -wtk
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Ummm... none!!!

Where on earth do you live?
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    As dogs seem to be the biggest threat in our area... dog mace.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

Here in AMerica we love our country so much that we hate each other!

Unlike other countries where there is no crime, you mean???? I'm confused by this statement. Where ever there are desperate people there will be crime, and desperate people are in every corner of the globe.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Make sure they are legal in your area. Some politicians prefer us dead over prepared.

Sad but true.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    crossbow
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    As far as my wife, we always make sure if we are not together she walks in our neighborhood when it is still light out. As for me, some punk stole my wallet the one time I left it in my vehicle, so I walk around my neighborhood hoping I run into someone so I can give them the People's Elbow.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have been seriously considering this as we've ha two murders locally this month. I do have mace and I was raised to carry a firearm. Firearm's ruled out, chance of accidental discharge is too likely. According to my 16 year old sister, Japanese steel from Hattori Hanzo himself is the only way to go...

Curious as to why you say that a chance of accidental discharge is too likely?
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I never run in sketchy areas or at abstract times. Plus, basic self defense, well a bit more than basic would be my defense mechanism
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    If I run alone, I run with 1 - 2 dogs. I run in areas that I have already driven, biked or walked. I stick to main roads for my early morning runs and I carry my cell phone with me, making sure that my hubby knows what route I'm taking. I also make sure that I make eye contact and smile and or wave at anyone near me. Makes them know that I'm aware of their presence and that I'm paying attention.

I have encountered a dog charge and that was scary but I don't want to carry dog mace and accidentally mace myself and my own dogs!
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I run late at night and currently, carry nothing. I've been looking into mace or some other attachable implement, however. The area is reasonably safe'ish, and I don't go too far from home. I always let my family know my route and expected return.

I figure, I'm already running, they gonna have to be in A form to catch and subdue me. :devil: Just...why not be more prepared and have some defense handy?
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I am prepared to void my bowels on command and throw monkey style crap at assailants.

I was totally not expecting this one, LMAO!!!

I used to carry mace but am considering taking my trainer's self defense class.
  • karrenbennett
    Options
    I live in a rural area and run alone on deserted roads. There hasn't been a shootin' or stabbin' (that's Texas speak) here in a while and I don't want to make the news as being the next victim. I usually carry mace with me in my hand and ready to spray if necessary. If I carry it in my pocket, I will not have time to reach in, get it out, unlock the top and turn it towards my attacker and spray.

The other thing is if I'm at the end of my run and someone comes towards me, I'm not going to have the energy to run or fight back so spray is all I have. I live in Texas so I guess I could carry a gun but I'm afraid I'd shoot myself in the foot and I don't want to run with a loaded weapon.

In addition to keeping an eye out for psycho killers, I also have to watch out for wild hogs, wild dogs and the occasional territorial mockingbird. (AND I'm always on the lookout for zombies. You never know WHEN they will strike)

I try not to run at night... although since the temps have been in the 102-105 range, the night runs sound really nice.

I carry my cell phone with me but then again, if someone is chasing me I'll have a difficult time digging it out of my zipped pocket and dialing 911 while running.

So my best option is spray, locked-and-loaded, while running.