FOODS TO NEVER EAT!

Options
what are the foods u should never eat for health, weightloss/maintence and a healthy metabolism?? Like white rice causing insulin spikes/fat storage etc? What other foods have this effect??

Replies

• springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    what are the foods u should never eat for health, weightloss/maintence and a healthy metabolism?? Like white rice causing insulin spikes/fat storage etc? What other foods have this effect??

rice, bread, pasta. I'm glad it's forever out of my diet. although, I did cave in and have a pb sandwich last night but the bread was low carb and full of grains, the scale was still up this morning. It's been months since I had one, so it was okay, I guess. I do avoid them on a daily basis though for the most part.
  • skinnyminimoni
    Options
    You can eat everything in moderation. That's the best thing about a lifestyle change. :)
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I am in the camp of all things in moderation. After all you only get one life and it is for living not worrying about having a cookie or rice or potatoes for that matter. Just do not eat them all the time or more than one portion.
  • Robscofle
    Robscofle Posts: 40
    Options
    We don't eat white rice on its own (or at least I don't). If you add in some meat or fish with vegetables, these lower the GI of white rice so there is less of an insulin spike after eating it. I eat basmati rice - it has a lower GI and tastes better than the "nutty" brown rice.

Don't thnk of foods as good or bad- there is only good or bad "diets"
  • babyblake11
    babyblake11 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options

rice, bread, pasta. I'm glad it's forever out of my diet. although, I did cave in and have a pb sandwich last night but the bread was low carb and full of grains, the scale was still up this morning. It's been months since I had one, so it was okay, I guess. I do avoid them on a daily basis though for the most part.

RICE BREAD AND PASTA ARE NOT BAD FOR YOU I EAT BREAD EVERY DAY AND RICE OFTEN. I dont eat pasta much because its so high cal. just eat the wholemeal varieties
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup and all hydrogenated oils, are very bad, and just about every thing 'low fat' because sugar is added.
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Rice can't be so bad, look at all the asian people, how skinny they are.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Rice can't be so bad, look at all the asian people, how skinny they are.

lol....
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You should never ban foods.. all that it is going to do is make you crave those foods more.

All foods have a purpose in our diet.. but some like fast food, candy etc, need to be consumed less then others. As long as you eat everything in moderation, you'll be alright.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    All things in moderation--including moderation.
    That being said, if there are foods where you find you lose your self-control once you start, and you simply CANNOT limit yourself to reasonable portions of those foods--trigger foods, if you will--I recommend putting those on the "NO" list. Not because the foods themselves are bad, but because you deserve to be the one in control of how much you eat, and not the food.
    Just a suggestion. Take it or leave it.
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I have to have pasta. I bought a food scale and weigh the pasta i am going to eat. I do this about two to three times a week. I have cut bread out of my life unless it is a subway sub on occasion when i am traveling. I tried the atkins, south beach, yadda yadda yadda..lol. This is the most weight I have lost and i contribute not depriving myself of the pasta that i need.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    You should never ban foods.. all that it is going to do is make you crave those foods more.

All foods have a purpose in our diet.. but some like fast food, candy etc, need to be consumed less then others. As long as you eat everything in moderation, you'll be alright.

This. Soooo much this.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    What kind of rice is best? I thought all wholegrain tended to be better for u.

I don't want to eliminate these foods from my diet-just know what ones should be eating occasionally/in smaller amounts :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    <--- Enjoys pasta, rice and/or bread virtually every day.

Granted, if I had medical issues that were affected by certain foods, I would avoid them, but nothing at all is off limits for me.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    <--- Enjoys pasta, rice and/or bread virtually every day.

Granted, if I had medical issues that were affected by certain foods, I would avoid them, but nothing at all is off limits for me.

You practically took the words out of my mouth, Lorina! I swear I am genetically predisposed to eat pasta! Sophia Loren is famous for saying that she attributes her figure to eating pasta every day!

They key is to just not trough out, surely?
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You can eat everything in moderation. That's the best thing about a lifestyle change. :)
    This^

I don't do this 'can't have that and can't have this'. It's a horrible mentality to live by.
  • mspalinger
    mspalinger Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can see why u would want to cut the processed carbs especailly when you are relearning to eat for your health, and getting your body to the point where it doesnt crave those things but things that are healthier, but yes all things in moderation. I find if I tell myself I cannot have a food immediately I crave it so I dont do that anymore. I can eat anything I want, I just want what is better for me now most of the time. The last thing I want to do especially on days I have a great workout is to negate it with unhealthy food options so I chose the better thing. Youll get the hang of it, even if you decide it is easier for you to say no to certain things for now, know that its not forever, youll learn moderation when your ready for it.
  • PhiMuHoney
    PhiMuHoney Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I would just like to point out, yet again, why I love MFP so much. For the longest time, all anybody heard about losing weight or watching your weight was "Don't eat this" or "Don't eat that"... almost everyone has emphasized moderation. I love it! :)
  • duckychic
    duckychic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Let me start by saying, I've lost 112 pounds (some before MFP). I have NEVER cut anything out of my diet. I am a sweet-a-holic, but I eat my normal, healthy food and fit a small treat in when the calories allow.

When I was 335 pounds I would go to Dairy Queen and get a large blizzard with double candy in it, scarf it down, have a belly ache. The other day, I wanted ice cream, so I got a mini blizzard and was way more than satisfied! This journey is about making lifestyle changes, making healthier choices and staying within your calorie limit.

Just my two cents!
  • onaspindle
    Options
    Let me start by saying, I've lost 112 pounds (some before MFP). I have NEVER cut anything out of my diet. I am a sweet-a-holic, but I eat my normal, healthy food and fit a small treat in when the calories allow.

When I was 335 pounds I would go to Dairy Queen and get a large blizzard with double candy in it, scarf it down, have a belly ache. The other day, I wanted ice cream, so I got a mini blizzard and was way more than satisfied! This journey is about making lifestyle changes, making healthier choices and staying within your calorie limit.

Just my two cents!

That's amazing! Well done!

I aggree with what everyone has said. I don't deny myself anything, I just make sure that I don't eat too much of the naughty treats!!

It's not only about what you're eating, it's about what you're doing with the energy you're getting from your foods. If you do a lot of exercise, you require a lot of energy...foods like rice/pasta (all the yummy stuff!!) are needed every day!