FOODS TO NEVER EAT!

Options

Replies

• princesstoadstool82
    princesstoadstool82 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    not good or bad foods, and everything in moderation, i totally agree and add that its portion sizes for me that i now know i was over doing all the time!!! its great now setting my self a portion and knowing its the right size.. also dont just eat foods for their calories, eat them for their nutritional value as well.. :) i love food theres no way i'm giving up anything i want, i'll just have a little bit.. instead :)
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    "My bf told me to have a cheat day. Not to say I can go crazy though! I don't eat chocolate as it gives me spots, so i will have a wrap with chicken, dressing and salad.(from the shop cause they taste better!) Or cake or a big cookie :) I eat 5-6 times a day so I don't crave "

I find that following the above theme of moderation and not depriving myself of any particular foods or groups, I don't ever need a "cheat" day. I avoid pizza mostly because I love pizza....however, once every 6 months or so, after a day of lots of exercise (for extra calories), I go ahead and have a couple pieces of pizza. So, anyway, if you don't deprive but eat in moderation, you never really have to cheat because you can always stay within your calories. It's all good!
  • dj_stevie_c
    Options
    I'd say, cut out as much processed garbage as possible, that's ready made meals, stuff from 'fast food' places. if you make everything yourself (that includes sauces etc) then you are more likely to have a better diet than if you fall back and use stuff that's 'easy'

Eating shouldn't be easy, it should be a little bit of work and a whole lot of pleasure.

Oh the reason why your home made burgers, home made pizza/chicken/whatever might not taste quite as good as the stuff from a fast food outlet? You are not making stuff to make your brain addicted to it. Fast food is full of rubbish, home cooked is not.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    There are certain things that I have chosen to pretty much avoid as I now prefer the healthier alternatives. For example I have not had garlic bread this year and I used to have it 3-4 times per week!

But I haven't cut out whole food groups - carbs are not the enemy if you eat them in moderation!
  • gemmie_c
    gemmie_c Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't think foods should ever be banned-it makes it become something you crave and want even more.

For me, I just try to balance things out.

I used to follow Slimming World (where Iost most of my weight) where you can eat as much rice and pasta as you like-provided that you eat 1/3 of your diet with fruit and veg.

Its all about being sensible and not scoffing out.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I don't ever eat processed white carbs if a wholegrain equivalent exists. Aside from that my only off-limit foods are meat, seafood, cow's milk and some other dairy (for religious and allergy reasons!).

There are definitely some things I just happen to have not eaten since dieting because I couldn't reasonably fit them into my calorie allowance without losing out big time, or because I have no idea how many calories they have (when eating out). But they were not a conscious decision to avoid, just that every time they were an option I made a better choice. In this category is stuff like milkshake (-> iced latte for 106 calories), Chinese takeaway (-> Indian takeaway), cookies (-> home made muffins for under 100 calories), my fave noodle restaurant (I expect one portion has over 2000 calories) and generally eating out.
  • ljbhill
    ljbhill Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I've cut mostly 'white' pasta, bread and rice from my eating. I've cut it for so long that I never crave it. On the rare occassions that I have to eat it, I feel sick!!
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    If you take the thread in the exact way the title says, then unless you have allergies to certain things, e.g. nuts, there is no food that one should never eat in general.

Obviously, some people find that they cant just have a small bit, it always leads to more. That's not the foods fault, it's the persons lack of willpower.

Dont forget this is a lifestyle change. The bigger the changes you make, the more likely you are to fall off. Smaller changes, i.e. moderation, portion control, of the things you liked, are more likely to stay in control.

As for never eating empty calories, sure, they may be empty in terms of nutritional value, but what about that unusual value....called Taste? Sometimes, who cares if its empty, it just tastes good! Just remember that eating too much of that lovely tasty stuff is what got you into this mess in the first place. Moderation!
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    You can eat everything in moderation. That's the best thing about a lifestyle change. :)

totaly agree
  • dgirllamius
    dgirllamius Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I still eat what I used to eat before starting MFP, but I don't eat half as much as what I used to. There are things which I have stopped eating altogether, simply because the amount of calories in it has put me off for good. I try and find healthier alternatives, or make my own (frikadellen for example).

I used to consume 2500~ calories a day, now I only take in 1200-1500 a day, still eating the same stuff that I enjoy and I'm losing weight. I could do with doing more exercise but I'm useless when it comes to that.

I love pasta and I eat it quite often. I keep an eye on my portions and try to stick with my limits. It's very rarely I will go over any of my limits. I believe you can eat what you like in moderation. If I stopped eating the foods I love, I wouldn't get anywhere. I just eat less than what I did before.

I'm trying to cut out the diet fizzy drinks and stuff, and slowly weening myself off, but it takes time. I'll get there eventually and no longer crave it.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options
    well i lost the majority of my weight staying under my calorie intake but still eating around 300 calories of icecream every night.. then for the last month or so i cut icecream and replaced it with yogurt cottage cheese etc if i reintroduce the icecream without going over will i gain because its not health/empty calories?????
  • bobbybdoe
    bobbybdoe Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    well i lost the majority of my weight staying under my calorie intake but still eating around 300 calories of icecream every night.. then for the last month or so i cut icecream and replaced it with yogurt cottage cheese etc if i reintroduce the icecream without going over will i gain because its not health/empty calories?????

You will definitely start gaining. Best solution : Keep it out of your house for good to get rid of the temptation.
  • elly0001
    elly0001 Posts: 191
    Options

You will definitely start gaining. Best solution : Keep it out of your house for good to get rid of the temptation.

I am wanting to maintain my weight now tho? Still stick to not having it or will it be ok if I stay within my recommended calorie intake??
  • Naomi_84
    Naomi_84 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Like someone else said, everything in moderation> I dont think cutting things out completely is a healthy long term approach to weight loss. Refined carbohydrates like white bread and white rice will cause blood sugar to peak and then fall quickly thus resulting in an energy slump and wholemeal varieties are better as they give a slower release of energy but saying that; eating white bread every now and then or whenever you have to shouldnt be seen as a negative thing.

As long as your diet is balanced and contains the right amounts of all the main food groups you will be fine, don't worry about it too much x
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Um....not sure about this whole "everything in moderation" thing. Seriously. I guess I disagree with a lot of you

For me, while I was actively trying to lose weight, there were definitely foods that were forbidden. I don't know about everyone else, but I have certain "trigger" foods that I just would not eat, no how, no way. I didn't have the self-control to have just a little bit, so if I ate any at all, I would binge. So I just avoided them all together, no exceptions. I also found it easier to lose weight if I got rid of white carbs: white rice, white bread, white potatoes, etc. I wouldn't say they were forbidden, but I probably ate maybe only one of those once every two months.

Now that I'm maintaining, I'm less stringent. I've learned how to control myself. I like myself at my new weight and don't want to sabotage myself. But I still won't touch my trigger food in any way, shape or form, but I'm okay with that. Other foods that were forbidden while I was losing weight are now okay, but in DEFINITE moderation. They're treats, but not a regular part of my diet. But again, that's just me, and that's what I have to do in order to stay where I am. I don't want you to think that just because most people are saying "everything in moderation," you're alone if you find you can't eat certain things without binging.

And of course, there are certain things I will never eat again, ever. I will never knowingly drink a regular soda, ever. No point. No value whatsoever. If I want a soda, it'll be diet, and even then it would be a rare treat. And there are so many processed foods that I used to eat, and while they may not have had many calories, they are so processed and full of chemicals and preservatives that I will never put that in my body again.

Now obviously it's not going to kill me if I have some processed food or a soda in moderation, every once in a while, like some people do. But it's just not for me. I won't do that to my body every again. And that's what works for me. And anyone who says, "Well, eventually you'll get frustrated and give in and end up eating all that crap anyway," I would say to them, "That's about as likely to happen as you going overboard when eating those foods and not being able to eat them in moderation." So, to each his own.
    Just like alcohol in moderation is just fine (and actually healthy) for a normal person, but not for an alcoholic, the same can be said for a food addict.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    You can eat whatever you want! I have lost almost 45 lbs, and I ate pizza, cake, ice cream, brownies, alfredo sauce, butter, bacon...mmmm I am getting hungry!

Try to eat and order things in single serving sizes. Whenever I order pizza, I get a slice or two and that's it! If I order a whole pizza, I know I will be picking on it from the fridge later on...
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Mmmm...bacon.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    rice, bread, pasta. I'm glad it's forever out of my diet.

NotSureifserious.jpg

BWWAHAHAHAHAHA!
  • Shrinking_Xtina
    Shrinking_Xtina Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Um....not sure about this whole "everything in moderation" thing. Seriously. I guess I disagree with a lot of you

For me, while I was actively trying to lose weight, there were definitely foods that were forbidden. I don't know about everyone else, but I have certain "trigger" foods that I just would not eat, no how, no way. I didn't have the self-control to have just a little bit, so if I ate any at all, I would binge. So I just avoided them all together, no exceptions. I also found it easier to lose weight if I got rid of white carbs: white rice, white bread, white potatoes, etc. I wouldn't say they were forbidden, but I probably ate maybe only one of those once every two months.

Now that I'm maintaining, I'm less stringent. I've learned how to control myself. I like myself at my new weight and don't want to sabotage myself. But I still won't touch my trigger food in any way, shape or form, but I'm okay with that. Other foods that were forbidden while I was losing weight are now okay, but in DEFINITE moderation. They're treats, but not a regular part of my diet. But again, that's just me, and that's what I have to do in order to stay where I am. I don't want you to think that just because most people are saying "everything in moderation," you're alone if you find you can't eat certain things without binging.

And of course, there are certain things I will never eat again, ever. I will never knowingly drink a regular soda, ever. No point. No value whatsoever. If I want a soda, it'll be diet, and even then it would be a rare treat. And there are so many processed foods that I used to eat, and while they may not have had many calories, they are so processed and full of chemicals and preservatives that I will never put that in my body again.

Now obviously it's not going to kill me if I have some processed food or a soda in moderation, every once in a while, like some people do. But it's just not for me. I won't do that to my body every again. And that's what works for me. And anyone who says, "Well, eventually you'll get frustrated and give in and end up eating all that crap anyway," I would say to them, "That's about as likely to happen as you going overboard when eating those foods and not being able to eat them in moderation." So, to each his own.

AMEN!!! :flowerforyou:
  • ashesoh1234
    ashesoh1234 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I want. I have a lot of weight to lose, but I've lost about 27 pounds in the last eight weeks, and that's with eating everything -- I've had ice cream, steak, burgers, bagels, bread, tons of delicious summer fruits and veggies - but in moderation. I know that I need to eat in a way that's realistic for the rest of my life. Am I never going to eat ice cream again? Or bread? Or a burger? I have to learn how to fit everything into what I eat. I don't do well with cutting things out entirely.