Team FOODIES: because you wanna loose a few pounds but love

Options

Replies

• la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks fantomette! I am not too big on rubs, will have to give them another shot. I do like to marinade and am trying to do that more often.

Also, thanks for you for getting us together! :drinker:
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks fantomette! I am not too big on rubs, will have to give them another shot. I do like to marinade and am trying to do that more often.

Also, thanks for you for getting us together! :drinker:
    I love marinade!
    which one is your favorite?
    I like everything with Lime or Apple juice...
  • KimmieSue2011
    KimmieSue2011 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Great! Tonight I made a salad with arugula, fresh corn, fuji apples, and shrimp. Used this orange muscat champagne vinegar which is delicious. I know... its a salad. But it was good. Also ate a piece of whole wheat bread with goat cheese and am waiting for sweet potato fries to finish cooking.

I am 42
    SW 160
    GW 150

I have a thyroid disease and the medicine has made me gain 10 lbs. Before, I did not realize it, but I had a high metabolism, which allowed me to eat more than normal people of my height and weight. Which was great, as I love to cook and bake.
  • fantomette
    Options
    Great! Tonight I made a salad with arugula, fresh corn, fuji apples, and shrimp. Used this orange muscat champagne vinegar which is delicious. I know... its a salad. But it was good. Also ate a piece of whole wheat bread with goat cheese and am waiting for sweet potato fries to finish cooking.

I am 42
    SW 160
    GW 150

I have a thyroid disease and the medicine has made me gain 10 lbs. Before, I did not realize it, but I had a high metabolism, which allowed me to eat more than normal people of my height and weight. Which was great, as I love to cook and bake.
    that salad sounds delicious!!! And I love goat cheese.
    Welcome here!
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    salad is not a dirty word, especially at this time of the year when i can scavenge most of the ingredients from the garden! KimmieSue's dinner sounds like my kind of salad:) i have the most amazing beefsteak tomatoes ripening at the moment and it is very tempting to have a large pile with every meal. i'm trying to limit myself though, tomatoes aren't the most calorie free veg, plus i don't want to exhaust my crop before i know it.

i've also started to bake a lot of lean chicken and pork in roasting bags. it's a technique i've never used before but it seems to be working really well, even the leanest cuts with no added oil stay really moist and tender and pick up the flavour of any rub/spice coating really well. i do miss the crunchy finish that frying or grilling gives though.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, I'd love to join my fellow foodies.

I'm Ruby, 44 yrs, from Australia (we're enjoying winter apples and mandarins at the moment) and I love to cook and eat good food.
    I'm 5'4"
    MFP start weight : 92 kg
    Current weight: 73.5 kg
    Goal for Sept 1: 72 kg (less would be nice, but I'm being realistic here!)
    Ultimate goal weight : 70 kg

I'm finding it hard to stay motivated now I'm close to my goal - the weight isn't dropping off like it did at first and I'm really craving sweet (rubbishy) junk foods. It's also got a little more challenging lately because my husband has a really painful knee which looks like gout so we're trying to avoid food that aren't good for gout. Sadly this includes mushrooms, spinach, cauliflower, red meat and beer!
    So, I'm trying to get creative about cooking the kind of food we like without these favourites.

Tonight's dinner is going to be panfried ocean perch with a cheeky little corn and cherry tomato salsa with some rocket dressed with balsamic vinegar, a very small baked potato and half a (small) avocado on the side.

The salsa will be something like this (I'm not the measuring kind of gal!):

Small can of corn. drained. Chargrilled fresh corn would be even better, but it's not the season for fresh corn here.
    1/2 cup or so of cherry tomatoes, quartered
    1/4 red onion diced fine
    Handful of coriander (cilantro), chopped
    Zest and juice of one lime
    Little splash of EVOO
  • fantomette
    Options
    Thanks for this recipe Ruby! And here we're right into corn season so tha makes me very happy:wink:
  • KimmieSue2011
    Options
    OMG look at this recipie for cheesecake made with 2% greek yogurt. Can't wait to try it

http://www.eatliverun.com/greek-yogurt-cheesecake-with-peaches-and-honey/#more-26525
  • fantomette
    Options
    OH WOW that recipe sounds very good.
    I didn't know you could make something that look like cheesecake with greek yogurt.
    I think I'll do it with fresh strawberries.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the cheesecake recipe, that sounds fabulous.
    My fish and salsa last night was very delicious, I'll be making that one again :)
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,727 Member
    Options
    printed off that greek yogurt cheesecake recipe - mmmm.... I am thinking about trying it without the crust for fewer cals, using just the filling as a sort of pudding dessert. Luv dessert!
  • fantomette
    Options
    How's everybody doing? It's the WEEKEND!!! It's hard resisting all the junkfood friends are offering us when we go out but try making good choices!
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    so I made the filling for that greek yogurt cheesecake - pretty good! I need to input it and see what is cal wise. I am planning on making more gazpacho for the week, have a chicken dish in the slow cooker for future meals, and the ingrediets for a shrimp and corn salad. It all makes me sound so 'righteous'. Until I admit that while at the farmer's market yesterday I bought a plate of cinnamon rolls and ate all four myself. Sigh.... but OH MY they were the freakin' best rolls I have ever had in my life. And that's sayin' something. Wooo! It's still Sunday.
  • fantomette
    Options
    Well if those cinnamon rolls were that good, then they are worth running a few extra miles.:happy:

okay calling all FOODIES! Today is sunday so time to post your loss or gain:wink: don't get too sad if you haven't lost an ounce, it's normal for our body to resist to changes, especially since we're foodies & we're not starving ourselves here and we're just learning to make better choices. It would be fun to share your favorite healthy recipe in your post, if you have a few minutes.

I'll be posting the recap MONDAY NIGHT (as I'm at the beach today and tomorrow to celebrate my kid's bd)
  • Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    CW:184.4

A loss of 1.6 pounds! I have been very strict this past week. I really, really, really want to have a 1000 calorie dinner.
  • mizpaden74
    Options
    no loss - onward HO!
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    CW : 148.6lb (down 3.4 from previous, hurrah for post-ToM bounce, it makes me feel better about the miserly 0.2lb the previous week :tongue:)

i've spent the week munching on frozen red grapes which are my new favourite thing. they are doing a great job at substituting for my craving to start snacking on sweets(candies).
    it's also been a good exercise week which means **more food**, including the afore mentioned grapes. hurrah!!
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    How did my foodies do this week? I did well had my up and my down days!! I guess food and I were not friends this week... Good luck to all next week!! :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • fantomette
    Options
    WEEK ONE :

fantomette
    Stephanie (Canada)
    35 yrs old
    SW (august)146
    CW (week1): 146
    GW (sept1st):139
    Ultimate GW: 135
    **********************************************************************************
    mizpaden74
    Marla
    37-years-old
    SW (august)171
    CW (week1) :171
    GW:167 (9/1/11)
    Ultimate GW: below 150
    ***********************************************************************************
    lookheresea
    Jillian (Seattle)
    31/f
    5'6"
    SW (august): 186
    CW (week 1)184.4
    GW: 150 by 12.31.2011
    **********************************************************************************

seph_house
    Suzy, another Londoner (UK)
    SW 161
    SW (august) 152
    CW (week 1) :148.6
    GW 140 for the moment
    *************************************************************************************
    la_nanita
    Adriana - Orlando FL
    SW (august 1st) - 161.2
    CW (august 5th) – 157.4
    GW - 136 by January 18
    Ultimate GW - 120
    *************************************************************************************

...If you still haven't sent your week 1 results you can still do it, never too late!
    Everybody is doing great and guess what, we're doing great AND STILL EAT DELICIOUS FOOOOOOOD!!! That's the best!

Yeah I haven't lost a pound but I expected this (TOM+Weekend away from home).
  • KimmieSue2011
    Options
    So I made the greek yogurt cheesecake and it was really good. Had 4 families over to eat it so only the grown-ups got it (thought kids would not like cheesecake) but my kids had a bite each and wanted more!!