Team FOODIES: because you wanna loose a few pounds but love

Replies

• I think I've just found my niche!! I love to eat. People ask how do you motivate yourself to exercise? and I reply b/c I want to eat more! I can't wait to take the time to check out some of the recipes on this thread. I am 46 years old with two grown children, a daughter in law and an 8 month old grandson. My hubby is on this site as well. Bicycling is our exercise of choice, but we also have a garden and push mow our lawn (which takes about 3 hours for both of us to do)

Heidi
    Ohio
    46 yro female
    5'6"
    HW: Jan '11 196
    SW : Feb '11 194
    CW: Aug '11 161
    GW: Near future 135
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    Great thread! I love to cook, and am trying to make healthier things for myself and my family. My latest this is a kind of Middle East Panzanella, with tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, chickpeas, parsley, red wine vinegar & olive oil, with crumbled pita chips on top.

One of my goals is to post on my blog (see sig) every day in August, especially healthy eating ideas.

Kim
    Michigan
    44 years
    2 daughters, 12 & 9
    CW 265.7
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 409 Member
    Here is a link to my recipe in Food.com

http://www.food.com/recipe/simple-colombian-beans-221247
  • fantomette
    fantomette Posts: 148 Member
    Hi Kim! Happy you are! I just looked at your blog, love it!!! thanks for sharing!
    Adriana, that recipe sounds delicious!!!!
  • Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Here is a link to my recipe in Food.com

http://www.food.com/recipe/simple-colombian-beans-221247

I can't wait to try this recipe! Thank you for sharing!
  • fantomette
    Just wanted to share what I ate for lunch yesterday. I was in a hurry so I needed something quick. That lunch only had 246 calories!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I was FULL I couldn't have eaten another bite!

Lunch:
    Commensal - Three-Bean Mexican Chili (Frozen), 150 g (one dish)=130 calories
    (any good canned Chili would do, like Amy's Organic Chili)
    Couscous - Cooked, 0.5 cup, cooked =88 calories
    I bought one of those bagged instant couscous you only have to put hot water in it and in 2 minutes it's ready, It was organic and had spices in it. Really good.
    Generic - Green Onions, 0.5 stalk chopped (12g) ~1/8 bunch = 2 calories
    Cherry Berries - Grape Tomatoes Raw Red , 6 tomatoes =13 calories
    Sardo - Greek Kalamata Olives, 1.5 olives (diced )= 13 calories
    TOTAL:246 calories
    I could have easily added shredded cheese on the Chili.
    Oh and fresh Cilantro!
  • mizpaden74
    mizpaden74 Posts: 3,793 Member
    your chili/couscous lunch sounds good - gonna try it!

just had an egg sandwich for breakfast: 2 slices of sara lee delightful wheat bread, egg (cooked in skillet with "pam"), a bit of brummel/brown spread, and about 1/3 of an avocado. Tasty! I am hoping that changing things up and eating more protein for bfast will help me through the day overall. This week has been emtionally stressful - but have done a fairly decent job of not eating the feelings - well except for a few tootise rolls.
  • fantomette
    ahhh tootsie rolls...
    I hope it's nothing serious. Great job not eating the feelings!
    Here too, hard week. Last night I was an emotional wreck because I got bad news at the Dr's (my foot has been hurting for 1 month and it seems they cannot do anything about it...). I REALLY wanted to buy a huge bag of Lay's (KETCHUP chips. I think it's only in Canada? right?) and...finally I didn't. I made air-popped popcorn instead. My mom gave me her old machine from the '80s. It was DELICIOUS and less calories than chips.

Foodies: if you don't own a Popcorn machine, you should buy one. They are CHEAP (around 20$!) and they make delicious popcorn. One cup of popcorn= 30 calories!
    I like putting butter and salt so what I do is put the popcorn in a bowl that has a lid, so I can put less butter ans salt and SHAKE it all so the butter gets everywhere.
    your chili/couscous lunch sounds good - gonna try it!

just had an egg sandwich for breakfast: 2 slices of sara lee delightful wheat bread, egg (cooked in skillet with "pam"), a bit of brummel/brown spread, and about 1/3 of an avocado. Tasty! I am hoping that changing things up and eating more protein for bfast will help me through the day overall. This week has been emtionally stressful - but have done a fairly decent job of not eating the feelings - well except for a few tootise rolls.
  • mizpaden74
    Just got back from a weekend away with the minion - will weigh in the morning and update - I was down on Friday before we left, but weekend away equaled eating some yummies!

Sorry to hear about your foot F. Good job on hte popcorn! I HEART the corn of the pop.
  • Lemonaiding
    Lemonaiding Posts: 78 Member
    Today I am canning some peach and anise hyssop leaf jam. I'm also going to be canning some homemade maraschino cherries. My kitchen smells wonderful right now!

CW: 181.2

For a loss of 3.2 pounds! I think most of the loss is the fact that I am at the end of my TOM. I'll take it!
  • la_nanita
    Ok.. weighed this am and I am at 157.4, lost the .2 lbs I had gained. Not that good but not that bad, since I did not go to the gym everyday like I did the week before. So I am going to put my *kitten* in gear this week because I need to lose 10lbs this month!
  • mizpaden74
    Woooo!!

CW:168

Yeah baby - almost back to where I was three months ago, and I ate out this weekend!
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    CW: 149.2 - up .6 from last week :/ oh well, last week was *very* good for me :)

feeling better this week, we'll see in a couple of days (i weigh in on weds & i want to stick with that so the number you get on sun/mon is a bit out of date:)
  • fantomette
    WEEK 2:
    ********************************************************************************
    fantomette
    Stephanie (Canada)
    35 yrs old
    SW (august)146
    CW (week 2): 147
    GW (sept1st):139
    Ultimate GW: 135
    **********************************************************************************
    mizpaden74
    Marla
    37-years-old
    SW (august)171
    CW (week2)-168
    GW:167 (9/1/11)
    Ultimate GW: below 150
    ***********************************************************************************
    lookheresea
    Jillian (Seattle)
    31/f
    5'6"
    SW (august): 186
    CW (week 2) 181.2
    GW: 150 by 12.31.2011
    *********************************************************************************
    seph_house
    Suzy, another Londoner (UK)
    SW 161
    SW (august) 152
    CW (week 2) :149.2
    GW 140 for the moment
    ********************************************************************************
    la_nanita
    Adriana - Orlando FL
    SW (august 1st) - 161.2
    CW (week 2)-157.4
    GW - 136 by January 18
    Ultimate GW - 120
    ******************************************************************************
  • fantomette
    Yeah, I gained a pound.:mad:
    Since I cannot go walking as much as I used to I'm really just trying not to gain too much weight! Gush, it's HARD.
    :sick:
  • mizpaden74
    Chin up F - you can do this!:flowerforyou:
  • Kimmer2011
    Kimmer2011 Posts: 569 Member
    I weighed in this morning at 262.4, much better than I expected. Dinner tonight will be chicken fried rice.and tomorrow I'm experimenting with Pulled Pork in the slow cooker, cuban style black beans, and cilantro lime rice. We'll see how the family likes it!
  • morenita71
    morenita71 Posts: 137 Member
    Week 2
    Nadia (London)
    Height 5.3
    CW 147
    GW 140

Sorry I missed weigh in - think that's right.

I have a glut of vegetables from my garden and my dad's and so have been creative - stuffed a marrow (large zucchini) with cannellini beas, chorizo, peppers and sprinkled with feta cheese! Very nice, filling, no carb meal!
  • la_nanita
    I weighed in this morning at 262.4, much better than I expected. Dinner tonight will be chicken fried rice.and tomorrow I'm experimenting with Pulled Pork in the slow cooker, cuban style black beans, and cilantro lime rice. We'll see how the family likes it!

Great job with the weight. That sounds so yummy! I am eating black beans and rice right now.... I put my cilantro in my beans along with chooped onion to add a fresh note. I am not having any meat, instead I have half of an avocado. For the pork the best way to do it is to just liberaly season with Adobo and cook on low for 6-8 hours, if time is a factor then on high for 4 hours. It will be so delicious. If you omit any sauces during the cooking period you will have less calories and you can also drain all the fat before serving. Then people can add the bbq sauce to taste or caloric needs when served.
  • seph_house
    seph_house Posts: 101 Member
    i'll start this week's check-in while i remember :)

CW: 148.8 - i've nearly recovered last week's gain but it's all feeling terribly flat.

BUT... i've done my first ever set of weight training this week (does a happy dance), i've been wanting to add weights to my workouts for a while and i've finally got moving. Oh my goodness, the aching the next day is kinda awful but i'm hoping that is partly "new exercise" body rebellion and this week will be a bit easier.