Lose 5 Pounds a Month August 2011 Challenge

Options

Replies

• MummaSue
    MummaSue Posts: 242 Member
    Options

Sue, my weight often goes up on Monday too, but usually because I'm eating more on the weekends - and especially salty foods, which is never good for the scale. I keep my weigh-ins on Monday so that I have extra motivation to behave on the weekend, but if another day works better for you, go ahead and change your weigh-day.

Thanks for this, I don't particularly want to change my weigh-day, I was just wondering what factors, apart from obvious things, might cause the spike - what to look out for, so your suggestions are really helpful, thanks :O)
  • nanberube
    nanberube Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    8/01 - 179.8
    8/11 - 178.4
    8/17 - 177.4
    8/24 -
    8/31 -
  • Lisanita
    Lisanita Posts: 11
    Options
    I'm in! I went from 117 to 111 this month, so I plan on keeping it up for september and october!
  • BrunetteWife
    BrunetteWife Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    Sorry for not being very active in here, some days there's nothing to really say other days I just get so busy I forget to post!

I've been doing Shred it with weights(Jillian) using my kettlebells, both in which Miss Kelly (kintegra) bought me for my bday on the 4th. I did 2 weks (3days a week) of level 1 and Monday was the start of level2. Wow, what a difference! Level one my average burn was 155, but level 2, my first day was 266! She's trying to kill me...lol. I've been going to the gym quite often. I go Tuesday nights for Zumba and then many other times throughout the week, stairclimber, treadmil, elliptical, weights, whatever, just depends on the day :) I don't 'Just Dance' as much as I was, but there's a new one coming out soon, Oct 11th :D

My next 5k is Sept 10th, hoping to make another landing intot he 30s again. The last one was so hot (and at 7am!) that I walked it all and managed a 42min, but I know I can and have done much better. I have been doing some C25k and just my own version on the tread mostly. I did get my baby brother, Tyler, to do W1D1 at the park Mon :) Hoping to start having a new running buddy soon. He's amost 12, so he'll be able to catch on in no time! Oh, I also have my first Warrior Dash in Oct, can't wait!

I think that pretty much catches me up for now. Have a great rest of the week and I'll be back Fri with my weigh in :)
  • kintegra
    kintegra Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Wow - I haven't been on here at all this month! Hi everyone! I have NO IDEA what my weight is. I had fair week, then I got sick with bronchitis. I've had it for 2 weeks now & I'm starting to finally feel better today. I have tried running a few times, but my lungs just couldn't take it yet.:ohwell: I have a 4 mile race this Saturday with the majority of my family doing it with me (well my niece is doing the 4 miles with me, my two nephews, brother, and cousins 2 kids are all doing the 2 mile. So they will be there at the finish to cheer me on. I'm hoping to place so I can win a cowbell! :laugh: Its the Rodeo Run! :bigsmile: The finish line is also only about 3 blocks from CJ's house, so I'm hoping he will actually come to watch me for the first time. He won't run - he used to all the time till about 5 years ago & now I can't get him to go with me at all. :cry: :ohwell: Maybe someday.....

I will have to check my weight here in the next few days. I'm just hoping it isn't too horribly bad. If not, oh well....I'll get back on being a loser again soon!

***This is also the very first official race that I did last year. However I only did the 2 miles last year.
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Ran out to get a few groceries tonight, and dropped in at the gym for a quick C25k workout first. I love having my gym in my grocery store! I ran three 5 minute intervals, with a 2.5 minute break between them, which most closely resembles Week 5, Day 1, and I think I am ok with continuing from here. I've been kinda all over the place with week 3.5 and week 6, so I need to settle somewhere in the middle.

Terri, don't worry too much about those few pounds; I agree they are likely over-exercise and salt induced.

'tree, don't despair. Keep doing what you know is good and healthy, and you will see some changes in your body, even if it is not showing on the scale yet. Perhaps your pants are a bit looser? Also, could be a simple PMS gain, and it will be gone next week!

Jenn, how did things go with your ex?

BJ, great job this month! So close to goal!

Bru, god love ya for battling it out with Jillian. I'm hiding from her. Don't tell her where I am...

Kelly, so glad you're starting to feel better. I was so sluggish after my bout with pneumonia last month, but then once I started eating better and exercising, my energy and fitness levels quickly returned to normal. Hope yours do too. Good luck at the race!

I'm meeting with a naturopathic doctor tomorrow. I originally made the appointment to discuss regaining my energy after pneumonia, but now that I am feeling better, I may ask for more generic health and weight loss support.

Food-wise, I'm still making good choices. No disasters yet. I'm holding steady at 150. No elastic rebound to 155 yet. I'm half-expecting one this weekend - we're camping out at a friend's on Saturday night, so that means lots of food and drink. I'll have to keep reminding myself that I really want a 140's weigh-in on Monday, so that I will behave myself.
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    Wow - I just noticed that my little marker lady on my ticker is almost half-way to goal... 2 more pounds to get 'over the hump', then it's all downhill from there, right?! :laugh:
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    Thinking of you, Jenn! :heart:

Dmg--- I was wondering where you would go with C25K after that huge run last time!! Good job getting today's run in! I have never seen a gym inside a grocery store before. That is awesome! Seeing a naturopathic doctor also sounds awesome!! I hope he/she gives you some neat tips to share with us. If I don't talk to you before then, have a great weekend!

Kelli--- Good luck at the race! I hope feel 100% soon!

I did W2D1 today in C25K. I took it outside for the first time (this time around.) It was hard!!!! I am surprised that I am having a difficult time with C25K already but it WAS 102 degrees out when I went. Certainly, that didn't help. My mouth was bone dry after the first running interval; a feeling I hate! Still, I did the whole thing and am happy I didn't give up. I think I will try again tomorrow but later in the evening when it is cooler!

I hope everybody has a great week! Let's see some good weigh in this week!
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    Wow - I just noticed that my little marker lady on my ticker is almost half-way to goal... 2 more pounds to get 'over the hump', then it's all downhill from there, right?! :laugh:

Heck yeah!!! That's awesome!
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    So.... I'm headed to the movies with my mom tonight. I can't even imagine not having popcorn at the movie theater, but I will have to limit myself to an acceptable portion. I don't want the salt to zing me back up to 155. I will bring my own water, so I don't have to drink anything sugary (which I don't like anyway). Plus, I haven't exercised yet today, and if we're out tonight, it means I won't get to it tonight either.

Enjoyed my visit with the naturopath today. I explained a bit about my history, my low energy levels and my desire to lose weight. I also told her about my day-to-day and how I feel the financial stress because I am the primary income earner, plus I'm the primary caregiver, because my kids are momma's girls and every time hubby tries to help out with them it's "no, mommy do it". I told her we had a pretty decent schedule a year or so ago, when I used to go to the gym for yoga on Tues/Thurs evening, and he would put the kids to bed those nights. My favorite recommendation from her is that I get out of the house 3 evenings per week (not just 2), so hubby gets to put the kids to bed those nights. I also explained how I get crazy cravings, which end up throwing me off my healthy lifestyle, which I assume is related to my hormones at certain times of the month. She recommended a supplement to try to help with that. The tougher one to consider is she suggested I consider going off my birth control medication... That one will require some thought and alternative planning...
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    So.... I'm headed to the movies with my mom tonight. I can't even imagine not having popcorn at the movie theater, but I will have to limit myself to an acceptable portion. I don't want the salt to zing me back up to 155. I will bring my own water, so I don't have to drink anything sugary (which I don't like anyway). Plus, I haven't exercised yet today, and if we're out tonight, it means I won't get to it tonight either.

Enjoyed my visit with the naturopath today. I explained a bit about my history, my low energy levels and my desire to lose weight. I also told her about my day-to-day and how I feel the financial stress because I am the primary income earner, plus I'm the primary caregiver, because my kids are momma's girls and every time hubby tries to help out with them it's "no, mommy do it". I told her we had a pretty decent schedule a year or so ago, when I used to go to the gym for yoga on Tues/Thurs evening, and he would put the kids to bed those nights. My favorite recommendation from her is that I get out of the house 3 evenings per week (not just 2), so hubby gets to put the kids to bed those nights. I also explained how I get crazy cravings, which end up throwing me off my healthy lifestyle, which I assume is related to my hormones at certain times of the month. She recommended a supplement to try to help with that. The tougher one to consider is she suggested I consider going off my birth control medication... That one will require some thought and alternative planning...

Wow, really?? Is this woman a MD or DO? I cannot imagine anything more stressful than an unplanned pregnancy. :laugh: Then again, I also imagine whatever is in BC is not the healthiest thing for us. Did she suggest any other alternatives?
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

The talk with my ex went well. I was a bit disappointed that he doesn't want to take the kids more, he said he will call me to schedule visits "when he can" instead of having a set every other weekend kind of thing but whatever, I think he will start missing them once he sees how much he is missing and how fast they grow when you are not with them 24/7.

Pre-service is today and my work is busy with returning teachers and the "Hi, how was your summer" hug and story share of co-workers and friends I have missed. Down side is that I am the "juicy news" of the summer with my split from my kids dad. I am getting sad looks and lots of hugs, but it is all well intentioned so I'm dealing.

I also got my measurement report today from my gym! -4.75 total inches lost in August, and 5 lbs for the month as well, that feels awesome.
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options

I have an IUD and I really like it. Sounds like you got some good info to think on, and congrats about getting the extra night off for you time!
  • AmandaB4588
    Options
    Hello everyone!

The talk with my ex went well. I was a bit disappointed that he doesn't want to take the kids more, he said he will call me to schedule visits "when he can" instead of having a set every other weekend kind of thing but whatever, I think he will start missing them once he sees how much he is missing and how fast they grow when you are not with them 24/7.

Pre-service is today and my work is busy with returning teachers and the "Hi, how was your summer" hug and story share of co-workers and friends I have missed. Down side is that I am the "juicy news" of the summer with my split from my kids dad. I am getting sad looks and lots of hugs, but it is all well intentioned so I'm dealing.

I also got my measurement report today from my gym! -4.75 total inches lost in August, and 5 lbs for the month as well, that feels awesome.

Oh geez! Good luck with your co-workers. Hopefully someone else will be the "juicy news" soon!

I am sorry your ex isn't more enthusiastic about scheduling time to see the kids. I think you are right, though--- it won't be long until he realizes that he is the one missing out.

4.75 inches?! That is AWESOME!!! Way to go!
  • njbooklover
    njbooklover Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I think I missed posting last week. I have lost 3.6 lbs so far.
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    Two NSV's to report today:
    1. I was able to take my wedding ring off. After a few weeks of healthy eating, the swelling in my fingers has finally dropped down enough to remove it. I've got a bit of heat rash under it, so it's a relief.
    2. I did not eat popcorn at the movie! WHAT?! That is crazy for me.

Amanda, DO's are not common in Canada (if we even have them at all?), but she'd be more like a DO than an MD... She is actually an "ND" - Doctor of Naturopathic medicine. A quick definition for those who are not familiar: "Practitioners of naturopathic medicine prefer to use natural remedies such as botanical tinctures/medicinal herbs and foods rather than synthetic drugs. Prevention through stress reduction and a healthy diet and lifestyle is emphasized." Where my BC is a synthetic hormone, and I have been taking them for over 20 years (other than two short breaks - ha ha!), and many of my 'issues' are hormone-related, she's thinking it's time to see how my body reacts naturally. She did not actually tell me to stop them, she just suggested I may want to consider it, and in doing so, she recognized that this was obviously something I would need to discuss with my hubby... I think she was kind of hinting that he could get taken care of (snip snip)...

Jenn, Wow!! You've lost almost 5 inches and 5 lbs in August, and it's only the 18th?! You're really kicking it this month, dear! Glad you're getting reunited with your co-workers; sounds like you're taking being the hot gossip in stride. You're smart to let your ex have the time to figure it out and not force the kids on him when he doesn't want them. You don't want him resenting them and them having a terrible time with him. He'll come around eventually.
  • rosaliabritt
    rosaliabritt Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    August Challenge
    8/1 = 116.5
    8/8 = 118
    8/10 =117= Birthday Weight = (I have met my goal: to be 120 lbs by my 60th Birthday) **
    8/15 = No weigh in (sorry)
    8/22
    8/29

** I have been on vacation and then on-going Birthday Celebrations. I have neglected my weigh ins, and been
    more or less eating over my calories and outside my healthy food groups...My intention is to get back on track
    on Monday 8/22 with a weigh in...It's time to re-focus and get back to healthy choices, and exercise!!:drinker:
  • dmgaloha
    Options
    Ok, so I think the universe is trying to support me in my no-popcorn victory last night... My daily peek at the scale was 148 today (from 150 yesterday)! My first time in the 140's in over 6-7 years. A sign for sure, considering we're planning to take the kids to see the Smurfs this afternoon, and I will be tempted by popcorn again. Official weigh-in is not unti Monday, so let's see if I can keep my weight down over the weekend - a tough one for sure, considering we are going camping with about 6 other couples, which means there shall be lots of food and booze involved.
  • chellaJKR
    chellaJKR Posts: 146
    Options
    dmg- Wow that's a nice reward! Hold onto that incredible willpower you used last time and you'll stay down there no problem! You got this =)

I weigh in Fridays
    Start Wt: 172
    August 5: 169
    August12: 170
    August19: 165
    So if that wasn't a fluke on the scale this morning I hit the 5 pound goal! We'll see how she goes!
  • megamoo04
    megamoo04 Posts: 269
    Options
    I WEIGHED IN TODAY AND I LOST 4LBS THIS WEEK! I AM 1LB AWAY FROM THE CHALLENGE! :)