Calorie counting is BLOWING my mind...

Options
124»

Replies

• eamconnor
    eamconnor Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I have to weigh in. I was at the farmer's market, and heard someone describe a "tomato pie" made just as you would a fruit pie, only with tomatoes and a little cheese to hold the tomatoes together. So I trotted home and made myself two, and proceeded to munch away.

Then I recorded the calories: tomatos, fine; onions, fine; low-fat mozzarella, fine; mushrooms, fine. Store-bought pie crust -- several times all the other ingredients combined. Yikes. Won't make that mistake again.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Practice what I preach. Being a single mom of 4 kids, I never took time to figure out how much calories each food I serve to my family until I restarted my eating regiment. Kids will be kids and will always go for the sugary and rich foods, chocolate chip cookies, potato chips, etc. I started reading the nutritional labels and paid more attention to serving size. Needless to say once we get home from the grocery store, I immediately get my older kids to count chips/pieces and rebag them in the right portion servings. Meaning we repackage the snacks for them with the right serving size... ie a serving of a plastic snack bag of 17 small pretzels equals 110 calories. Got the measuring spoons/cups and bags handy at the house. I also make it a point to put all the fruits and veggies eye level when you open the fridge door. Part of calorie counting made easy on daily basis :love:
  • RhondaKay21
    Options
    I started counting calorie when I worked at a womens only gym when I was 19. It has always worked for me to keep my weight the same. I would tell the women at the gym. Lets face it, we all like to eat, so you have to count calories and move more. Always eat what you want when you are hungrey. Just don't eat more calories then you are burning in a day. If you want to eat chocolate cake or a donut. Don't eat something else, because you are dieting. You will get to the cake eventually and feel you blew your diet. Eat it and count the calories. You can still eat a salad tomorrow. If you craving that. All the women lost weight and didn't feel they couldn't eat things they loved. You just start making better choices as you start losing the weight.

I found this app for my new phone. I love it. I gained 30pd going to chemo treatments. The surgery I had took away my hormones to keep the cancer from returning, but made my calories burning go down. I beat the cancer and now I'm working to get my body bake in shape. Drop the 30 pds I gained on the drugs and lack for activity. This is a great tool and I've lost 10pds already. What was a bummer was realizing the margarita's at my favorette restaurant were 425 calories. Looked up the skinny girl margarita. A girls gotta have fun once a week. LOL
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It is crazy to see how many calories and fat somethings have. I was going to BBQ some pre-made burgers that I really liked and I noticed they were 25 grams of fat in one patty! I decided to make my own with x-lean meat and about 4 grams per burger instead.
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It is crazy to see how many calories and fat somethings have. I was going to BBQ some pre-made burgers that I really liked and I noticed they were 25 grams of fat in one patty! I decided to make my own with x-lean meat and about 4 grams per burger instead.
  • determined3138
    Options
    Oh for sure - and having the calories on menus sure makes me change what I order. It is sobering!
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    Practice what I preach. Being a single mom of 4 kids, I never took time to figure out how much calories each food I serve to my family until I restarted my eating regiment. Kids will be kids and will always go for the sugary and rich foods, chocolate chip cookies, potato chips, etc. I started reading the nutritional labels and paid more attention to serving size. Needless to say once we get home from the grocery store, I immediately get my older kids to count chips/pieces and rebag them in the right portion servings. Meaning we repackage the snacks for them with the right serving size... ie a serving of a plastic snack bag of 17 small pretzels equals 110 calories. Got the measuring spoons/cups and bags handy at the house. I also make it a point to put all the fruits and veggies eye level when you open the fridge door. Part of calorie counting made easy on daily basis :love:

I love this! I have 2 kids (ages 17 months & 4 1/2 years). They're a little too young to count all the stuff out into smaller bags tho!
  • Renee0608
    Renee0608 Posts: 138
    Options
    I think calorie counting really gives the reality of all the crap we put into our bodies!! I'm a big Coke fiend...and now I'm learning Coke will have to be my reward when I reach my goals!
  • weeziews
    weeziews Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Having those "are you serious??" moments are necessary I think for anyone starting their journey...I most definitely had my fair share, and sometimes still do!! Once you get into a groove, you'll start to understand why some foods are so expensive calorie-wise and learn to avoid/moderate them.

I agree! The difference for me now is, I used to just eat something, now I want to know how many calories before I eat it. I have avoided items this way and it has made a difference. Smaller portions too because I realized how much I was over eating. Eventually, you will get use to the portions and how many calories items cost you, so you don't have to count calories forever.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i have had my momemts but it has taught me to "look before i leap" into a plate of food, i am usto taking a certain food off just to make a healthier choice and replace it, it has save me time and time again and because of it i see the results of my wise choices and excercise.

and even though bananas are high in calories i dont avoid them when i want one i just add it in, workout and keep it moving.
  • andforpoise
    Options
    I just thought of another one: RICE. Especially if it's not whole grain. Today I went out for Thai with a couple of my girlfriends and got peanut chicken curry with jasmine rice... and I guesstimated how much rice there was on the plate (my eye says 2 cups, but it was probably less) and it came to 410 cals! It's a good thing I didn't eat breakfast or lunch yet... that meal was my breaka-lunch-ner :P
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went out with my dad and he treated for lunch at Dunkin Donuts. I don't usually have bread or any processed food as part of my eating regiment but it's Sunday so what the heck. I pulled out my MFP and started crunching caloric #s of things on the menu. I ended up with tuna sandwich on a croissant a whopping 530 calories (That's half of my caloric intake for the day already!!!) I ordered a small Mocha Coolata but got a medium since they ran out of small.... total damage of 320+ calories. 850 calories :grumble: Needless to say next time I'll choose wiser. And to think I used to start of my day with a DD medium mocha coolata :ohwell:
  • fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    same here...I think I'm at the point where i can guesstimate the calorie content of most things.
  • amydales
    amydales Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well said everyone, but I guess that is the main point of this site. I know I needed a, pardon the pun "gut check" when it came to the amount of calories I was consuming every day. Thankfully, it gets easier as your body gets used to smaller portions and healthier choices. The thought of BK now makes me want to vomit! Still have my cravings for some foods but like you all have said, when you know the caloric cost, you make wiser choices. :)
  • isabelk
    isabelk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Cheese has become my nemesis! I always want to add it to everything, but then it's like 'Oh hey there 200 extra calories'...
    I hope it gets easier.

Grated parmesean. Low in calories and adds that cheese flavour.
  • Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    YES! I made burritos the other night - 99% lean grount turkey, black beans, salsa and 50% fat free cheese on a whole grain wrap. Serious health food, but 520 calories each! More than a Big Mac! It was the damn tortillas - 210 calories/each.