You Brits are so funny

Options
ItsCasey
ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
I have to say, as a Texan, I find all the "learnt" and "whilst" talk on here to be exceptionally quaint and charming. And as a woman, I must say, you haven't really lived until you've been called "beautiful" in British. Talk about making a girl blush ...

Sometimes I say "whilst" just because I'm a big fan of that word, and all the Philistines around here tell me I made it up.

Replies

• phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    hehe just normal every day words to me :) (Am a Brit)
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    I have a few British friends...listening to them talk is...entertaining lol :)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I think I've watched enough British film that any of those words sound completely normal to me :)
  • tubbstattsyrup
    tubbstattsyrup Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've learnt, whilst doing ones ironing what a waste of ones life.
  • foodfight247
    foodfight247 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Haha - I use both those words lots myself!

Must admit I find it difficult understanding some of the American / overseas words and the context they are put across in.

I've also found I've started actually saying a few words over here In the uk, that I've picked up through general conversations on the message boards / friends that are overseas. Ive noticed quite a cultural difference when I've spoken to a few people and it's awkward sometimes when you put domething across and it gets taken out of context. Or like in my case I often misjudge / take out of context something an MFP friend has said. It then takes a few messages to clear it up.

Nevertheless, I love the way the Americans / overseas people are a bit more laid back and especially the humour, which I wish I could understand sometimes to avoid awkward moments. Its been great making friends with you all!
  • missy_1975
    missy_1975 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I've learnt, whilst doing ones ironing what a waste of ones life.

One couldn't agree more old chap, house work is a bally waste of one's time in one's opinion! Toodles! Mwah! (etc, etc)
  • Pidders89
    Pidders89 Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    haha i love seeing things like this as im british and makes me giggle at what people think is funny and i use them everyday :)

xxx
  • prettytoxic
    prettytoxic Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I really don't see what you're on about. I live near Birmingham, England and there's nothing 'quaint' about the people round here.
    You're obviously referring to people living in little southern villages xD
  • KnottyRae
    Options
    I really don't see what you're on about. I live near Birmingham, England and there's nothing 'quaint' about the people round here.
    You're obviously referring to people living in little southern villages xD

:) you're too funny. I suppose it's a lot like over here, people say all southeners are nice and friendly and easy going however I find it to be the opposite. I think the northeners especially in new england are fabulous and incredibly sweet.

Nonetheless, I have to agree with my fellow americans, I could listen to a Brit talk all day. :)
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    hahahah, I bet they get a kick out of us saying 'yall' too :)
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    What's really funny is that I am from deep East Texas, and when I went to college in Austin, I had people ask me all the time where I was from because of my accent. One girl, born in India but raised in London, told me my accent reminded her of people from Southern England. She really thought I was from England for the first 10 minutes or so that we knew each other. I couldn't figure out why she was acting like we were homies, and then it hit me that she thought I was British. Loved her.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a good British accent, too!
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I speak rp sometimes, and I am from the south of England, and I remember the very first time my family and I travelled to the States we went into a cafe (It was purportedly a restaurant but it was not what I was familiar with as a restaurant, rather like people who call McDonalds a restaurant...) I asked if I might have a hot chocolate and the lady asked me to repeat it, then went and got other people to come to listen to what I had said, I was obviously mortified as I was 16 years of age, I was unsure if they didn't know WHAT I was saying of making fun of me, but it turned out that they liked how I said it and thought it was 'cute' and let me have my hot chocolate for free, which was very kind. They then asked me to say other things, and I admit to feeling like a sideshow at that point, but I realised they were not being unkind.

I am now married to a Canadian, who has the BEST voice ever which is made even more utterly fabulous by his rather sexy accent, he however is insistent that it is not he who has the accent, but I! The very cheek of the man, how dare he :laugh:

oh and PS, there is no BRITISH accent, Britain is not a country, it is made up of other countries, England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. I do not speak in the least like someone from Scotland for instance, nor do I speak like someone from the North of England, for example Liverpool, I speak with a similar accent to the actress Dame Helen Mirren according to my Husband.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    My 13yr old son, born and raised in Tennessee, has two very good XBox Live buddies in England - they talk while they play using headphones. It is hilarious to listen to them because they make fun of each other constantly, but my son is picking up some British phrases from them, and he doesn't even realize it. "Don't shoot me straight away!" he laughed last night - not a phrase we would use. The most fun was listening to them jab each other on July 4th - talking smack about 200-yr old events, not realized how funny that was to me in the other room! :laugh:
  • karenjoy
    Options
    But their teeth.

We have orthodontic dentists now, and toothpaste and everything :bigsmile:

my kids all have fabulous teeth lol look at the pictures on my profile if you don't believe me
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    But their teeth.

my kids all have fabulous teeth lol look at the pictures on my profile if you don't believe me

I bet y'all are even working on indoor plumbing over there, right? ;)
  • karenjoy
    Options
    But their teeth.

I bet y'all are even working on indoor plumbing over there, right? ;)

Oddly we are and I had to read what you wrote twice to understand it :happy:
  • ItsCasey
    Options
    Ha! Y'all are a delightful bunch across the pond.
  • karenjoy
    Options
    Ha! Y'all are a delightful bunch across the pond.

How jolly nice of you to say, and I think you are all dreadfully nice too. :flowerforyou: