You Brits are so funny

Options

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I really don't see what you're on about. I live near Birmingham, England and there's nothing 'quaint' about the people round here.
    My stepfather is from Edgbaston. My mom lived there with him for about 10 years, and I would visit every Christmas. It's not exactly quaint, and the accent is a little rough and sometimes slurred.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I love the way Brits and Scots talk- I also could listen to them all day. I'm a huge fan of BBC and listen to BBC1 Radio all day long (go go Faerne Cotton! as she is my morning drive to work DJ!)... one of these days I need to go to Glastonbury Festival I swear!

Now the Irish- wow- had one Irish friend and Iiterally had no clue what he was talking about. The closest I can come to comparing it to someone in the states was the time I was in Louisiana and tried to understand a Cajun. I had no clue.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    OH! heheheh... and I have two very good friends who are ex-pat UK over here and its always a trip talking to them.

On of them taught my 6th grade boy all about "birds" so my son would be in the schoolyard throwing UK slang about a lot of the girls and their *ahem* attributes. No one had a clue what he was saying.

Then there was that whole "crisps" and "biscuits" debacle at a party I threw once ("Hey Glenn- the wife made some homemade biscuits try some" "great right after I finish dinner- what are they chocolate chip?" "WTF are you talking about? No they are sourdough" "WTF are you talking about- who makes sourdough biscuits?")

Then at his party I get greeted with "Want to try some of my spotted d_ick?" which almost led to a fight! :laugh:

In a car with Giles who starts to pull over I ask what we are stopping for and he says "I got a blues and twos behind me" as the cop goes by running lights and sirens.

And for anyone who does miniatures gaming I did the editing for the Hammers Slammers rulebook (as well as a lot of the optional rules) which was put together over there in the UK. "Bespoke", "bowl", "bodge" etc all made editing... interesting! LOL
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    What's really funny is that I am from deep East Texas, and when I went to college in Austin, I had people ask me all the time where I was from because of my accent. One girl, born in India but raised in London, told me my accent reminded her of people from Southern England. She really thought I was from England for the first 10 minutes or so that we knew each other. I couldn't figure out why she was acting like we were homies, and then it hit me that she thought I was British. Loved her.

British accents are great...but I'd take your accent over a British accent any day of the year :)
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I have to say, as a Texan, I find all the "learnt" and "whilst" talk on here to be exceptionally quaint and charming. And as a woman, I must say, you haven't really lived until you've been called "beautiful" in British. Talk about making a girl blush ...

Sometimes I say "whilst" just because I'm a big fan of that word, and all the Philistines around here tell me I made it up.

What an absolutely charming young lady you are my dear.

Whilst I was reading your article I was reminded about how many Americanisms slip into everyday life here by virtue of US films and television programmes. In the 1970's the word "Hi" was definitely only ever heard through that media, today everyone uses it. We also have a Pizza market in this country thanks to the likes of 'Police Woman' and 'Hawaii 50', even though it originates from Europe. When those 70's cop programs used to feature things like pizza we always wondered what it tasted like. It's basically just posh cheese on toast of course !

Btw Oi to your other poster - never mind about our bad teeth, what about the size of the average American backside ? :happy:
  • mandeiko
    mandeiko Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I have to say, as a Texan, I find all the "learnt" and "whilst" talk on here to be exceptionally quaint and charming. And as a woman, I must say, you haven't really lived until you've been called "beautiful" in British. Talk about making a girl blush ...

Sometimes I say "whilst" just because I'm a big fan of that word, and all the Philistines around here tell me I made it up.

I want a British man to call me beautiful. :sad: wah!
  • beedo30
    beedo30 Posts: 186
    Options

What about your beautiful, in a British accent :glasses:
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

Amanda, your radiance is more beautiful than the morning Sun
  • mandeiko
    Options

What about your beautiful, in a British accent :glasses:

I guess I'll take it. :)
  • mandeiko
    Options

Amanda, your radiance is more beautiful than the morning Sun

Awh, why thank you :blushing:
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I keep hearing this British people have bad teeth thing, where does it come from?

Don't get me wrong I love a good politically incorrect stereotype, but bad teeth? Is that all people have on us?

I smell a lack of imagination!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find the language you're bastardising is known as English, and there's nothing quaint about the use of legitimate words.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    whats the british accent??? Is it more like my dads broad glaswegian, or maybe its my southern english?
    or maybe you mean that really harsh scouse, or geordie? or the west country, or welsh?
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    whats the british accent??? Is it more like my dads broad glaswegian, or maybe its my southern english?
    or maybe you mean that really harsh scouse, or geordie? or the west country, or welsh?
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    You're talking about an English way of speaking :P

There's no such thing as a "British accent", as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are all also part of Britain and they are totally different countries with different accents and languages :P

Though agree, my best friend is English and he speaks like he's from the 1800's and I love it <3

But I'm Scottish, soooo I speak with a Scottish accent, which doesn't sound like the American idea of a "British" accent, yet Scotland is still part of Britain!
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    But their teeth.

Um hai, we have an NHS which means our kids/poor people get free dental care, therefore actually manage to have better teeth than in countries where you have to be rich to afford medical stuff....like that country...ummm...America?
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find the language you're bastardising is known as English, and there's nothing quaint about the use of legitimate words.

I once heard that the old colonies variations of English is in part due to the amount of messing around the Victorians did when they had already left. So the old colonies variations are closer to the real deal than we are.

Makes sense to me, the Victorians did love to make things all tidy.
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    I hate having a British accent. I want something exciting!
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    But their teeth.

Um hai, we have an NHS which means our kids/poor people get free dental care, therefore actually manage to have better teeth than in countries where you have to be rich to afford medical stuff....like that country...ummm...America?

Exactly!
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    But their teeth.

Exactly!

oh dear not this!!!!! Im going to just be a polite southern woman and say "bless your heart"
    now i love all kinds of accents.