You Brits are so funny

Options

Replies

• _Aimée_
    _Aimée_ Posts: 190
    Options
    Believe me mate there is nothing quaint or charming about me at all!

Nice!!!

I grew up in Hastings ('astin's), nuff said :wink:
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Now the Irish- wow- had one Irish friend and Iiterally had no clue what he was talking about. The closest I can come to comparing it to someone in the states was the time I was in Louisiana and tried to understand a Cajun. I had no clue.

Hey! I'm half- Irish, born & raised in cajun country, married to a said cajun, & lemme tell ya sha, I dunno whats you talkin bout, no!

Thats how we speak in nottingham.
  • brit49
    Options

Nice!!!

[/quo

Double post
  • brit49
    Options

Nice!!!

[/quo
  • brit49
    Options

Nice!!!

[/quo
  • brit49
    Options

Nice!!!

[/quo

right nuff said lol
  • haylz24
    haylz24 Posts: 225
    Options
    Aww yeah I bet you miss it loads! 4 yrs is a loooooong time. It is so boring though. I swear theres new people every week!

I use the F word a lot too :/ I should stop as well haha sooo hard though! It just sounds so powerful when I'm angry lol

There are...Neighbours is just as bad these days, I don't really watch either anymore to be honest! Would rather watch Eastenders LOL

Hahahaha, Yes, it can! But I know I use it waaay too much. My Mama is going to go mad if she hears me saying it when I go home after 4 years - she will wonder what this country has done to me!

I love Enders! Haha gotta love cockney slang.

Just say as little as poss! She won't let you come back haha should have a swear jar :p
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I pronounce learned learnt, but I would always write it learned.

edited to add, I am English and speak extremely correct RP.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    this thread is so funny! I have had a lot of fun explaining my food diary to my american friends! lol!

I do like a nice texan accent! I love how matthew maconahhugh or however you spell his name talks! sounds lush!
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    Watch EastEnders. That's how I sound! I rarely come across people who speak the Queen's English.

O'right laaaav! x

Aaah, PROPER English lol :smile:

my cousins in canada love coronation street! they think everyone speaks like that here !
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    ha ha, sometimes Americans and Brits speak the same language, other times not at all! The language is English though, so of course we speak it correctly! :bigsmile: I am on a SAHM thread, the only Brit on there, and there have been some amusing occasions when either I haven't understood them or they haven't understood me, even though we've both obviously thought what we were saying made perfect sense!
  • MontanaB
    MontanaB Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Now the Irish- wow- had one Irish friend and Iiterally had no clue what he was talking about. The closest I can come to comparing it to someone in the states was the time I was in Louisiana and tried to understand a Cajun. I had no clue.

Hey! I'm half- Irish, born & raised in cajun country, married to a said cajun, & lemme tell ya sha, I dunno whats you talkin bout, no!

Thats how we speak in nottingham.

my ex used to speak like that and he was from Cotgrave!

Now I'm based in London I seem to be adopting some Dagenham talk.. O'rite trecul (alright treacle..) and paaaaand (pound) seem to pop up a lot..
    to say I can barely understand or distinguish various British accents I love the american way of talking but my favourite accent is from New Zealand.. kinda like a relaxed aussie accent but slightly sexier :D
  • karenp84
    karenp84 Posts: 119
    Options
    But their teeth.

yeh ok, someones obviously never watched Jerry Springer...
    Altho maybe they cant be classed as having bad teeth when they havent got any...
    ;)

Lol thats so true!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Whilst one really appreciates the feedback from you chaps over the pond! One is a tad concerned about the comment about `teeth`
    I would like you to know that our family has a traditional health care plan, which does include a good `orthodontist` and we get regular checks.

On the subject of health care, one bathes or showers regularly at least every 3 months whether one needs to or not!!!!

Whilst one understands your interest in our culture, it can be a little offensive, that "y`all need to" speak about us in this way...I am very sure that if I broach this subject with Elizabeth or even Prince Harry at breakfast tomorrow morning, then it will create an incident of upset.
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE british accent!! Is so elegant and sexy
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    arghhhhhhhhhh

There is NO British accent. that is like saying I love the American accent and including Canada and Mexico in the mix, I am aware that people from different parts of the US talk with very different accents, I would hope that most Americans would be aware that not only is Britain a collection of countries that we talk with different accents all over the country.

I certainly do not talk like people from Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Yorkshire, Birmingham etc

I don't talk like people in Eastenders or Coronation Street.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find the language you're bastardising is known as English, and there's nothing quaint about the use of legitimate words.

Clearly, you are the arbiter of all things bastardized.
  • boomboom011
    boomboom011 Posts: 1,459
    Options
    this thread is so funny! I have had a lot of fun explaining my food diary to my american friends! lol!

I do like a nice texan accent! I love how matthew maconahhugh or however you spell his name talks! sounds lush!

his accent is delish! alright alright alright!
  • PNCTink
    PNCTink Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This thread has been quite entertaining! :laugh: I'm a New Yorker married to an Essex boy. Our children have a mix of both accents and can sometimes be overhead telling people how we gave the, "dawg a bahhhth." :tongue: Oh, and he has had to less dental work than me. :laugh:
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    My husband has a Scottish friend, and Lord! i could listen to him read the phone book!!!! His accent is just...hhhmm. lol.