If you are having trouble losing weight still - Read

Options

Replies

• patriot201
    patriot201 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    1. You need to make sure that you know your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expedenture). I cannot stress this enough. This is NUMBER ONE PRIORITY. You HAVE to know this. You HAVE to know how many calories you are burning in a 24 hour period.

2. You need to make sure that you are eating at a proper deficit undernreath that TDEE number that you got from #1 above. Since there are alot of people on this forum that don't require alot of calories, simply telling you to eat a 1000 calorie deficit isn't realistic. However, 20-40% underneath your TDEE is optimal.

Ex: Let's say you TDEE is 2000 calories. (This is your BMR + your Activity level in a 24 HOUR PERIOD.) Telling you to eat 1000 calories is NOT realistic in any way shape or form. However telling you to 1200-1400 calories IS in fact realistic. (And yes the little extra calories matters.)

This is where I get confused with my own body.

My BMR is apparently 1350/day and when I add in my activity, I apparently burn 1856-1903 calories/day.
    HOWEVER, if I eat more than 1200 calories/day, even with moderate exercise, I gain HUGE amounts of weight. My nutritionist has even been shocked by this fact. She said she has never seen someone gain so much weight on such a low-calorie diet.

My weight is all over the map. In the past four years, I have swung from 150 to 103, to 125, to 140, to 130, and so on.

I am a vegetarian and don't eat many, if any, "junk foods."

I don't get it.
  • demery12371
    demery12371 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    10. I don't have a #10 but I thought it would be cool to make a top ten rule list. So here's #10.

Good luck.
    [/quote]

Your #10 should be YOU CAN DO THIS!!! :)

Thank you for this list... :) It helps to see it in print sometimes even when you know what your doing and how to do it ;)
    Have a wonderful day!
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks!
  • hydrosmak
    Options
    This should be stickied.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    how do u work out your tdee

Different ways.

1. Find out your BMR from the online calculators that are available. They aren't 100% accurate unless you use one of the great proven and accurate formulas but you need to know your bodyfat% first so you can get your lean body mass calculation. Then you calculate your activity level. (I don't really recommend this way)

2. Eat normal for 2-4 weeks, track everything and see if you lose/gain weight each week. After the 3rd or 4th week if your weight stays the same then you know your TDEE (maintenance). I recommend this way.

3. Spend the money and buy a Bodybugg or Bodymedia FIT. They aren't 100% but they are pretty accurate and it's alot easier.
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! As I approach one year on mfp... it is a good refresher.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Great advice!!
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Great post, thank you!
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post!
  • martinh78
    martinh78 Posts: 601
    Options
    Good post thanks.

I am interested to know a bit more regarding fats. I understand enough about protein (I think) but am interested to learn more about hitting fat goals. I'm always over mine, because I think 16 is too low a figure, but I don't want to up it without understanding the relationship of this macronutrient with protein for example.

Might be off topic for this thread? Or any good links to explain it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Martin
  • Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Good Post, thank you.
  • Mamato3cubs
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! I appreciate them.
  • rkn1
    rkn1 Posts: 5
    Options
    And if you're still not losing weight, get your thyroid checked. If your metabolism isn't working properly, it doesn't matter how much you diet, your body isn't processing what you're taking in. Three great books to read: "Is Your Thyroid Making You Fat: The Doctor's 28-Day Diet that Tests Your Metabolism as You Lose Weight" by Dr. Sanford Siegal, D.O., M.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... thtalk00#_ , Hypothyroidism Type 2: The Epidemic by Mark Starr MD http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0975262408 , and The Thyroid Solution, by Ridha Arem http://www.amazon.com/Thyroid-Solution- ... 706&sr=1-1 .
  • agentblondie
    Options

I second that! I have searched, but can't seem to find out?
  • joejccva71
    Options
    And if you're still not losing weight, get your thyroid checked. If your metabolism isn't working properly, it doesn't matter how much you diet, your body isn't processing what you're taking in. Three great books to read: "Is Your Thyroid Making You Fat: The Doctor's 28-Day Diet that Tests Your Metabolism as You Lose Weight" by Dr. Sanford Siegal, D.O., M.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... thtalk00#_ , Hypothyroidism Type 2: The Epidemic by Mark Starr MD http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0975262408 , and The Thyroid Solution, by Ridha Arem http://www.amazon.com/Thyroid-Solution- ... 706&sr=1-1 .

Yes I need to add the thyroid issue to my list. Thank you for reminding me!! =)
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    How do you suggest calculating the minimum amount of each macro? Do you suggest a certain ratio? or something along the lines of 1g protein per lb of lean body mass?
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options

Different ways.

1. Find out your BMR from the online calculators that are available. They aren't 100% accurate unless you use one of the great proven and accurate formulas but you need to know your bodyfat% first so you can get your lean body mass calculation. Then you calculate your activity level. (I don't really recommend this way)

2. Eat normal for 2-4 weeks, track everything and see if you lose/gain weight each week. After the 3rd or 4th week if your weight stays the same then you know your TDEE (maintenance). I recommend this way.

3. Spend the money and buy a Bodybugg or Bodymedia FIT. They aren't 100% but they are pretty accurate and it's alot easier.

thanks!!
  • joejccva71
    Options

I second that! I have searched, but can't seem to find out?

Look at top of page 2 of this thread. I put in there a few ways to do it.
  • queenstatus
    queenstatus Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    GREAT POST!!!!!:flowerforyou:
  • spinaddict4life
    spinaddict4life Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    How do you decide macro levels the ones MFP gives you or something else?