If you are having trouble losing weight still - Read

Options

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Bumping this info for later
    How do you suggest calculating the minimum amount of each macro? Do you suggest a certain ratio? or something along the lines of 1g protein per lb of lean body mass?
    How do you decide macro levels the ones MFP gives you or something else?

Protein: You should eat .5g to 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.
    Fats: You should eat .35g to .75g of dietary fat per lb of BODYWEIGHT.i
    Carbs: You can either put the rest into carbs, or spread it out with additional fats and proteins to get your intake for the day.

1g protein = 4 cals
    1g fats = 9 cal
    1g carbs = 4 cals
  • lbelfrey
    lbelfrey Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks for your input!
    Louisa
  • Jessicapages
    Options
    BUMP!!!:smile:
  • BlessedHeart
    BlessedHeart Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Great info! Thanks for taking the time to post this! :flowerforyou:
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    I'm sure it will take me a while to plateau, but this had some good info in it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this is a great reminder of stuff that I KNOW but don't always DO.
  • jcb2kds
    jcb2kds Posts: 40
    Options
    This is awesome! BUMP!
  • nikola24
    Options
    wow you really narrowed it down, well said ; )
  • imjustlisa
    imjustlisa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    bump
  • olso123
    olso123 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Thanks....very informative.
  • Rockindreamer
    Options
    I need to get my body fat % figured out, how do you do that. I know it's not your BMI.
  • kerrylou150
    Options
    this is the first time i found something to "bump"

this is great!
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thnx for posting!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    How do you suggest calculating the minimum amount of each macro? Do you suggest a certain ratio? or something along the lines of 1g protein per lb of lean body mass?
    How do you decide macro levels the ones MFP gives you or something else?

Protein: You should eat .5g to 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass.
    Fats: You should eat .35g to .75g of dietary fat per lb of BODYWEIGHT.
    Carbs: You can either put the rest into carbs, or spread it out with additional fats and proteins to get your intake for the day.

1g protein = 4 cals
    1g fats = 9 cals
    1g carbs = 4 cals

Hmmm, I don't know if I totally understand this. Let me see if I get this?

I used an online calculator to figure out how much calories I burn a day. It says my BMR is 1807 and if I'm lightly active, 2321, if I'm moderatley active then I need 2678.
    I don't know which one to use. I have five kids, do a load of laundry a day, vacum, sweep, two or three loads of dishes, sweep, make beds....hmmm, I think think I'd be moderately active.
    Anyhow. Let's say, lightly active. So if I need 2321 a day and I would like to lose 2 pds a week ( I weigh 225, I think I can handle losing two a week!), then I need to consume 1321 calories a day to lose two pds a week.

This is what I figured from the above info......I need
    162 g protein is equal to 648 calories
    112 g fat is equal to 1008
    1654.......That's over the 1321.....and I have not consumed any carbs. Wouldn't I just gain weight? What am I missing? I'm 5ft 6.5inches, female, 225...Yes I am big boned and do have alot of muscle. The calculator also said I have
    27.81 fat %

27.81% body fat....which is acceptable.....I don't think It's acceptable! LOL

You dont need to be eating 162g of protein. You have to take into consideration your lean body mass, and eat half of that in grams of protein. 100-120g is enough for your body composition. I would also lower fat to about 80-90g. Then put the rest in carbs. Also dont forget what I said about the activity level formulas arent very accurate. Hell, MFP along with other formulas have said my TDEE is 2800 which is just flat wrong. On upper body training days my TDEE is over 3800 calories.

I would be so inclined to say that your TDEE based on your height and weight is roughly 2500-2700 calories. I would start eating 1500 calories a day for atleast 2 weeks, see how it goes, get your macro minimums, and then re-evaluate.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I need to get my body fat % figured out, how do you do that. I know it's not your BMI.

GOOD bodyfat calipers. Go to an established gym and ask one of the PTs to take a measurement. If they have the handheld ones they are only about 90% accurate or so.
  • Rockindreamer
    Options
    ooh, Thank you! Wonder if they would do it for me even tho I am not a member right now haha my daughter is tho, maybe i can bribe her trainer =D
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • dawnmichelea
    dawnmichelea Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thanks!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read more later :-)
  • JeanWalker109
    Options
    Thank you so much for chiming in, Joe. I soooo appreciate your knowledge & suggestions. I especially like the chuckle produced by the "gained 0.2345 pounds". That was hilarious!

Thanks again!

*smiles*

Jean