Operation: Inspiration - 100 lbs lost, great health gained!

Options
CoryIda
CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
My hope is that people who are struggling or feeling overwhelmed by how far they have to go will look at these pictures, read this post, and realize that this is a journey that is going to take a lot of hard work but, with every healthy choice you make about how you will move your body and what you will feed your body, you are getting one step closer to good health, which is infinitely more important than the number on the scale or the size of your clothes. Those will, of course, improve over time as well, but I hope you look at this journey as an opportunity to give yourself the gift of good health. :smile:

On September 16, 2010, I woke up and decided that I was done being a gluttonous, lazy person. Enough was enough. I am not sure what the trigger was but, even though I was only 26, I felt OLD. My body ached, I had no energy, and I was miserable.

29775_869548316142_10116788_48816093_2656878_n-1.jpg

65pounds-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

I dumped all of the junk in our house, replaced it with nutritious foods, and committed to living a healthier, more active life (which includes drinking a LOT of water, by the way).

317 days later (about 10 ½ months), I met my goal of 100 pounds gone! I am fit, healthy, and feel amazing. Best of all, I am confident that I am setting a good example for my friends and family.

Because I didn’t go on a diet but decided to completely change the way I lived, I didn’t really have any major setbacks. I didn’t deprive myself, I just made sensible choices and consumed reasonable portions.

Other than limitations due to food allergies (I’m allergic to milk), there aren’t any “off limits” foods for me; however, I do try to get the most nutritional “bang” for my caloric “buck.” I eat a variety of whole grains, lean proteins, healthy fats, and fresh fruits and veggies.

I try to indulge cravings with either healthier alternatives or smaller portions (a personal favorite of mine is having almond milk mocha – almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, instant coffee, stevia – to give me my chocolate and caffeine fix for approximately 65 calories a cup, although I otherwise stick to water as my beverage of choice). Also, if I am going to have something less-than-healthy, I make otherwise very healthy choices throughout the day and/or do some extra exercise.

Speaking of exercise, which I used to HATE (I now love it), I found that doing exercises I enjoy, whether or not they provide the biggest calorie burns, is a good way to get started.
If you find something you like doing, such as walking, then just do that until exercise becomes a habit. Once you have developed the habit of being active, you can start adding in new things and you may be surprised to find that you enjoy more exercises than you imagined.
Walking, which is how I started because I was too out of shape and heavy to do much of anything else, is still one of my primary means of getting exercise, but I absolutely LOVE Zumba – even though I have no rhythm and look like a chicken running around with my head cut off – and am willing to try most other things as well (although I despise the treadmill and elliptical). :smile:

For me, this journey has ALWAYS been, first and foremost, about getting healthy. It wasn’t about the number on the scale or my clothing size, although I can’t exactly complain about having gone from a 24W to being able to rock skinny jeans, knee high boots, and an Extra Small shirt (I’m mostly in regular Small, but this shirt worked well)!

020-2-1.jpg

Just to put things really into perspective, these are the pants I was wearing before I started this journey. I can now fit my entire body into ONE LEG of these pants!
006-1.jpg

Now, the ugly – but honest – side of weight loss. Because I was obese for several years, I do have a lot of stretch marks and a bit of loose skin (not lots of it, but some). However, I’m not ashamed of them as they will serve as a reminder of where I was and why I never want to go back. I’d rather be fit and scarred with loose skin than be obese and have that skin all filled up with fat again!
013-2-1.jpg

Anyway, I am done trying to lose weight but will continue working hard to become stronger, more toned, and generally more fit.
2193703_4956.jpg

Replies

• lauraparr
    lauraparr Posts: 112
    Options
    WOW!! you should be so proud, you look amazing!!!

9646626.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • krisntraining
    krisntraining Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    WOW!!!! I am so impressed with your efforts and motivation. You are an inspiration! Not to mention absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing your story.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Wow, 100 lbs in 10 months! I am absolutely stunned. Congratulations!
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Makes me want to cry... and in just 10 1/2 months! Such a great job. :)
  • Antlerdancer
    Antlerdancer Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Super AWESOME!! Thank you for sharing your pix and your story. You're absolutely right- someone WILL be inspired by this - I certainly have been ! Thanks again and here's to continuing your commitment to health and happiness!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration, Cory - you will inspire many to come. I have been following your story and all your success stories, and you amaze me everytime I read one. I will never lose 100 lbs because I don't have a 100 to lose, but I am 1 lb away from the 50 lb mark. I talk about you regularly to my family/friends and your story - they find inspiration from you too. I am also 7 inches shorter than you, but I use your story as something to focus on. Congrats on hitting the 100 lb mark - truely amazing!!!
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Amazing work!! And perfect message: Eat for fuel and nutrition and MOVE. Its proven to work for just about anyone (barring medical certain conditions).

Thanks for sharing your story!
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I bow to you and am now re-inspired to keep on going!!!
  • melissaslagle
    Options
    Awesome post!!! thanks for sharing...I have lost 85 pounds since I changed my lifestyle over 2 years ago, I so can relate to your story...I don't look as good as you:) but I am so much more healthy and feel good! I am still heading for a weight goal, but this is my life forever and I am loving it!
  • kateistoned
    Options
    Wow, that's awesome. You are an inspiration :)
  • ANeWcRe8N
    ANeWcRe8N Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Made me want to cry also.. Thanks for sharing!!! You look fabulous and have so much to be proud of. I know I'll have the loose skin as well but not sure how to take it and I try not to worry about it until I'm done losing all the weight I want. Keep up all the hard work!! :wink:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful! And you are really rockin the jeans & boots! :)
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting your story, you have inspired me to keep on keeping on.
  • janiecorona
    Options
    100 lbs is a great success! Lose skin is what I'm afraid of but I agree that I'd rather have that than it be filled with fat. I wish skin was more elastic! Lol
  • ritaadkins2002
    ritaadkins2002 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    i am so proud of u .......u done it!!!!!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Unbelievably AWESOME! Thank you for sharing the inspirational pix and story!!
  • gatorflyer
    gatorflyer Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Did I ever tell you, you're MY hero? You ROCK THE HOUSE!
  • thebuxompilgrim
    thebuxompilgrim Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration and a rockstar! You look beautiful! :)
  • meabonl
    meabonl Posts: 5
    Options
    You look amazing girl. Keep up the healthy lifestyle.:bigsmile:
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!! You totally inspire me, Cory! I am RIDICULOUSLY proud of you! Phenomenal dedication and perseverance! you deserve it!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!