When you go to the movies....

Options

Replies

• zadrii
    zadrii Posts: 21
    Options
    I used to eat peanut m&m's with popcorn (sooo good together)...

But now I sneak in 24 almonds and eat them. Also sooo good!
    Or sometimes I pop popcorn at home and put it in a baggie (unsalted and unbuttered it's still pretty yummy!)
  • iamahealthychick
    iamahealthychick Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    We have snuck candy in in the past but mostly we share a large popcorn and drink. I have done with small popcorn and drink or med popcorn but popcorn is one place I really refuse to compromise. I love that stuff.
  • fitnessjen9
    fitnessjen9 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Sadly I hit up the concession stand for my kryptonite- Bunch A Crunch.
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    I bring my own fruit snacks. They don't take up much space so no need for the big purse.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    lol We usually stop at Quik Trip for cheap snacks beforehand. I try to leave extra calories if we're planning on seeing a movie so I can get something I'll enjoy. Or I'll get the kid's snack kit. Or we get nachos. I LOVE me some movie theater nachos.
  • jesienia
    jesienia Posts: 294
    Options
    I'm a huge movie freak, so I always watch the film. Normally I don't eat, but I have been known to sneak in my own popcorn and drink.
  • mrk34
    mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    A week ago I went to the movies with my son. We had late lunch at the mall just before buying tickets.

We’re going to see The Rise of the Planet of the Apes tomorrow. I hope I will be strong again. If lunch/dinner before movie doesn’t work, I will get Starbucks coffee prior to the movie. That should help.

I love movies but I am also aware that for a person who struggles with weight loss, going to the movies creates additional challenge.

Movie theater environment offers so many temptations and encourages behaviors that are inconsistent with healthy eating principles and weight loss.

We just need to be strong and remember what our priorities are.
  • heather7marie
    heather7marie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    A week ago I went to the movies with my son. We had late lunch at the mall just before buying tickets.

We’re going to see The Rise of the Planet of the Apes tomorrow. I hope I will be strong again. If lunch/dinner before movie doesn’t work, I will get Starbucks coffee prior to the movie. That should help.

I love movies but I am also aware that for a person who struggles with weight loss, going to the movies creates additional challenge.

Movie theater environment offers so many temptations and encourages behaviors that are inconsistent with healthy eating principles and weight loss.

We just need to be strong and remember what our priorities are.

The fact that everything at the movies is crazy over priced, it helps me to fight the temptation. I can't justify spending that much on snacks. hah
  • lsd007
    lsd007 Posts: 435
    Options
    Totally serious question: Has anyone ever gotten caught sneaking snacks/drinks into the theater?!

Im always sneaking stuff in! Its just TOO expensive!

My daughter has life threatening food allergies, I bring our own food everywhere. Even restaurants...true story.
  • supitstom
    Options
    I usually just eat my home-made meals that I cook myself before I leave to the movies, or eat right after.

I guess I'm the only one :(
  • Fighting4Healthy
    Fighting4Healthy Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    When you go to the movies with your honey or even by yourself, what do you eat as you watch The Rise of the Planet of the Apes, or Bad Teacher, or whatever is on the Big screen ?

We usually go to the drive in but any movies we go to I take my big purse stuffed with veggies and fruits in tupperware and smoothies in soda bottles. Snack bar food is too expensive anyway. My purse is nicknamed the "Mary Poppins Purse" because I put a lot in it and it looks so tiny from the outside. I might be able to stick one of my kids in there and sneak them in the theater. lol

Do you hit the snack bar for that large popcorn with that stuff they claim is butter but really is more like crack.?
    Nope, just the snack bar in my purse. lol

Do you eat a bag of Twizzlers, Lemon drops, or M&M's ?
    Once again, the healthy snack bar in my purse

Do you get the largest soda cuz that's the best value. Of course you could get the same soda at 7 -11 for .99c that they charge $5.95 for at the movies.
    Smoothies in my purse

Do you tell your wife or girlfriend to bring the "big purse" and then stuff lots of snacks in it to avoid paying the high prices at the Movies for snacks?
    My fiance does!!!! He says "Babe, don't forget the Mary Poppins Purse!"

Do you not eat at all and just watch the Movie?
    Mini Snacking on healthy foods

Do you "make out" with your significant other and not care about the movie ?
    Yes, unless it is with the kids then we do runs to the bathroom every 10 minutes, we shhh the kids when the get too loud, and all that fun stuff parents get to do.

More than 1 of these may apply to you !
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    We rarely go to the movies, so when we do I don't feel bad at all for splurging on yummy buttery goodness! lol And a diet soda, of course! haha I just have to remember to log it, and try to make up for it with excercise. If I don't, oh well, its just one day. I have to give my self that once in a while or this whole "lifestyle change" will never work out! lol No candy for me though, I don't have much of a sweet tooth, and all though I like a lot of different candies, its not something that tempts me. I can easily say no. Now the popcorn on the other hand.....GIMMIE!!!! ::mmm...crack:::embarassed:
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    The fact that everything at the movies is crazy over priced, it helps me to fight the temptation. I can't justify spending that much on snacks. hah

Same here. Even before I was trying to lose the weight, I didn't buy movie theater concessions. I'm too cheap. The only reason we do it at the MWR is they're reasonably priced and it's how they keep the movies free.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    We eat a healthy meal at home before the movie and then afterward go get an ice cream cone or frozen yogurt.
  • hbrekkaas
    hbrekkaas Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I stuff my face with the popcorn crack and wash it down with a huge pop. That said, I go to the movies once every 6 months, sometimes twice.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I bring the medium-sized purse with some healthy snacks - dried fruit usually!
  • Smittyinthesun2
    Options
    I went and saw the new Planet of the Apes - Save your money ! It was just ok,

But I did manage, to eat the small bag of Twizzlers for $4.25 that sells for $1.00 at Walmart.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Bust out the big bags. When Inception came out my friends and I went straight from work. We (no lie) threw 5 Guys in our bags and ate in the theater.

Not so much now 5 Guys anymore (curses be upon you Celiac *shakes fist*), we will bring our own popcorn made in an air popper at home, drink water, and some other GF snacks, all preportioned and worked off.

ALSO, people do know that 5 Guys is a burger place, I can't fit 5 actual men in my bag, but if I could...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy movies at the theater. Too many spoiled people who don't care about others, talking, crunching their food, using cell phones. I much prefer to watch it at home on my big TV.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Bring your own flask.

Are you BACK?!