What favorite food did you give up?

Options

Replies

• RealMeSomeday
    Options
    Today is my first day here so perhaps my post is a little pre-mature but I'm giving up:
    wine
    candy
    yummy salty crunchy delicious potato
  • Jomalone2
    Jomalone2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Dr. Pepper -- I've tried giving up soda, in general, but if I'm craving one, I'll grab a diet soda over a regular. If I start drinking Dr. Pepper there is no stopping.

It's DIET COKE for me. If I have one I won't be able to stop. I've also tried to cut out the donuts, pizza, burgers and fried foods in general.
  • Annalisa419
    Annalisa419 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've given up completely is pop. Everything else I just do in moderation.
  • MisScorpio
    Options
    I've changed most of my eating habits. I gave up fried, junk and fast foods. I really dont miss most of it. My one weakness i struggle with is cereal.. lol
  • thegymbunny
    thegymbunny Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Nothing, I just watch potions.

And it IS about figuring out "is this worth the calories for the day" now some days a gyro and greek potato lunch, knowing dinner will be just broccoli is worth it.

Some days it isn't. Somedays forgoeing a snack is worth a premeasured glass of wine.

It just depends.

Generally on days I work out, I can eat/drink anything I want(though my choices have become much more responsible).
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I have given up bad habits. The take away because I cant be bothered to cook. The glass of wine, that led to the bottle, that led to me not being bothered to cook. I still drink wine at the weekends, but I always have my meals planned & prepared. If I want chinese, or curry, or pizza, I cook it myself. Not saying I will never have another takeaway, and I do eat out quite alot, but I plan for it all, enjoy it as a treat rather the norm. I seem to have finally learned that it's about changing how you think, not just what you eat.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up any foods. I just stick to a very strict schedule what and when I eat.
  • Giraffe33991
    Giraffe33991 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Bacardi Limon & Diet Coke with a squeeze of lime.

Don't want to waste calories on alcohol anymore (plus it causes me to make more poor choices & I'm not just talking about food, LOL!)
  • kriots
    kriots Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    starbucks reduced fat swirl coffee cake...heh there are a lot of starbucks in this list! oh and candy, I used to love candy, now its tooo darn sweet
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    None
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, I just have my favourite treats less frequently and in smaller portions. If I'm craving something I let myself have it, just in controlled quality (if there is a low fat and/or low sugar and/or low sodium option I go with it) and have a smaller portion.

Also, if I slip up and overindulge, I just work it off with exercise.

DItto on this!!!! I thought I had to give up PB and ice cream, but I just exercise more so I can eat full fat PB daily and once a week I eat around 600 calories of lovely, wonderful, real ice cream. I just eat a bit healthier that day and exercise a bit more. Feels like I'm cheating, but I still stay under my calories goal...usually :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    None. If it's a FAVORITE, then you'll crave it. It's about moderation and comping the calories. If you eat 400 calories of your favorite food, either cut out 400 calories of snacks and/or do 400 calories worth of exercise. Problem solved.
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Nada...
  • klewis81
    klewis81 Posts: 122
    Options
    I haven't given up anything, but I've cut way back on my "vices". Cheese only gets eaten at home where I can measure it out and mayonnaise only gets used now as two teaspoons in tuna salad. Oh, and I used to have a large glass (sometimes two!) of red wine every night but now it's only a glass a week maximum AND I don't find that I really miss it!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Oreos. Gave them up a year and a half ago ....long before MFP. They were a trigger food for me so I decided to stop buying them. Lo and behold, the cravings went away.
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Supreme stuffed crust pizza O.O *drool*
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up anything - I just eat smaller portion sizes of it. :) I figure giving up something I really love is making this a "diet" and not a "lifestyle change".
  • Alacey88
    Alacey88 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    So far I haven't given up any food but I have pretty much stopped drinking pop/soda but that's just because after drinking so much water it just doesn't taste as good.

I stopped drinking soda about 3 months ago... And I haven't looked back
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Soda/carbonated drinks.

I used to be a diet coke-aholic! Or anything fizzy. It's weird as now I literally crave water! If I don't get 500ml in the morning I'm grumpy and drink it throughout the day too. I'll never give up my Nescafe hazelnut latte sachet in the morning.... coffee is my one indulgence!

Other than that I've not given anything up at all - I just eat things in moderation and lucky for me I don't have much of a sweet tooth
  • melibea
    melibea Posts: 228
    Options
    I haven't given up on any of my favorite foods :) I just have them less often and when I do, I try to eat the smallest portion that will make me happy, haha!

These are the things I wish I could give up, but I know I won't...
    - pizza
    - hershey's cookies n' creme candy bar
    - moose tracks ice cream
    - anything that mom bakes

I think I'm doing a good job controlling my portions so far :)