Zumba ... is it as good as everyone says??

Options

Replies

• ricepattikay
    ricepattikay Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Best and most fun workout I've ever had!~ Love it!! I go to a class that's twice a week, but if I could do it every night I would, it's fun and a great workout!!
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I would like to try it too, but I don't belong to any clubs to get into a class. Does anyone know of any good dvd's to suggest? I could afford one of them better than joining a gym.

There are also a lot of places that offer just individual Zumba classes - generally for around $5 - $7 per class depending on the area you live in. A quick google search should turn up some.
  • ChristineM1953
    ChristineM1953 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like dvds - but that is just me. I like the personal interaction with the instructor and my instructor is awesome! Shs is engaging and talented. To me that is 2/3 of the class. The zumba part is fun too, don't get me wrong - I just like the interaction with others. I have been going twice a week since last October and hate it when I have to miss.
  • lilieslosinit
    lilieslosinit Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I looooooooooooooove zumba :) It's more of a dance party than a workout!
  • bookyeti
    bookyeti Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    It's the best workout I've ever had! I've never sweat so much in my life! So much that it drips into my eyes and down my neck! (gross).

But I don't take a class, I bought a Wii and bought Zumba for it. that way I can dance like a fool and no one is watching.

My thighs have toned up like crazy.

^^^ THIS ^^^

No classes in the near vicinity, and couldn't afford it anyway.

I use both the Wii Zumba game and the DVDs. Do it all in the comfort and convenience of my own livingroom - whenever I want, which is often. So much fun, and an awesome workout. Your calorie burn will depend on how much you put into it. I give it my *all*, and I can tell you, I am literally *drenched* when I'm finished (looks like I took a shower with my clothes on).

I've lost quite a few inches off my waist, and my arms and legs are looking so much more toned. I feel so much stronger, and my endurance is butt-kickin'. ;-)
  • iasue
    iasue Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I bought the Zumba for Wii and started doing it during the winter months. Then a gal that I work with started teaching the classes locally and I love them! It helps that several people I know (a few neigbors, even my hair stylist) go so it is fun to work out with friends. Since the instructor is also a co-worker I think she tends to push me more, which makes me feel great at the end of a work out. I absolutely love it and was even looking for somewhere to do it in Austin when I am there in 2 weeks.
  • slimmer189
    slimmer189 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I was doing Zumba once a week at a community center - it was really fun and no one cares what you look like doing it. Get ready to sweat. I almost bought the WII Zumba - sounds like a lot of folks really like it.
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    LOVE zumba... our classes are only 4.00 an hour class!! and the instuctor is a ball of fire... we have done some flash mobs and demos around the area... she just got her toneing licence.. so in a few weeks we start an hour of zumba followed by an hour of toning.. for 8 bucks! great deal...

i have lost weight, gained confidence in myself and have a ton of fun...
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I tried it once at the gym, I used 500 cals (according to the HRM), BUT I didn't like it. I'm a latin dancer from way back, so it wasn't the moves. Interestingly there weren't many at the class, which may have accounted for the lack of enthusiasm, and I think it will struggle to continue at the gym. By the positive sound of everyone else's experience it may have been the instructor?

GG
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    With the zumba wii.....I've actually thought getting it but was not sure at how it worked..I know it has a belt but to what sizes does it fit?....it's a pity that they only show slim people in the ads.......
  • KevDaniel
    KevDaniel Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    They always sound like they are having so much fun at the gym, I really wanted to try it, alas, not a single male being in the group. I might feel a bit out of place.. :)

I took my first Zumba classes at the local University here because a friend was a student and got me in, and there were a few guys scattered throughout the class. They certainly got attention from the ladies. ;)

My wife will be thrilled lol :D
  • karylee44
    karylee44 Posts: 892
    Options
    I tried it once at the gym, I used 500 cals (according to the HRM), BUT I didn't like it. I'm a latin dancer from way back, so it wasn't the moves. Interestingly there weren't many at the class, which may have accounted for the lack of enthusiasm, and I think it will struggle to continue at the gym. By the positive sound of everyone else's experience it may have been the instructor?

GG

definatly the instructor.... we have several different instructors in our area, i seen all three (we did a dancing in the streets benifit zumba class) i thought two of them were boring.. but the third, who i dance with, is always full of new ideas, always bouncing around and since she was very overweight she has been there, done that.. so look for another instructor!
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    LOVE it!!!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Find a good instructor and you will love it! If I could do zumba all week I would, but getting good at running is my main goal right now, zumba is my fun day of the week :D
  • DarcieC2389
    Options
    I joined one about two weeks ago and really like it. It is a really good workout and I really sweat. I agree if you like music and dancing, you will enjoy it. No problem if you miss steps, you just keep moving. If you do not have a health club membership, there are other places that have classes--YMCA, church, community classes at schools, and dance schools.:flowerforyou:
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i have the DVDs... LOOOVEEEEESSS!!! AND i'm dripping with sweat when i'm done!

if u're not so coordinated... it may take a few more tries to get them down... but just get to it, its really fun
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    With the zumba wii.....I've actually thought getting it but was not sure at how it worked..I know it has a belt but to what sizes does it fit?....it's a pity that they only show slim people in the ads.......

i'm not sure... but i think using your own belt and sticking the wii-mote in the side... or sticking into your pants :-p might work just as well
  • eates
    eates Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!! I was doing 1 1/2 hours 4 days a week but have had to cut back to 30 minutes because it hurts my knee. I still feel like an idiot dancing around about 1/2 the time but I really enjoy it!
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    It reduces the belly fast.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if it's any good too... heard lots of positive things but I'm so shy to try the class. There is one at my gym this evening but not sure whether to try it... feel like I'll die of embarrassment!