Zumba ... is it as good as everyone says??

Options

Replies

• hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Also how do people log zumba in the MFP exercise section? I can't find it under cardiovascular?
  • MaggieP86
    Options
    Zumba is AMAZING IF you get the right teacher and crowd.

Find a group with a loud teacher, a excited group and you'll build up the energy.

The gym I went to tried a noise maximum in our class room...the workout went to zomg amazing to hardly being a workout, they lost half their attendees at the classes until they fixed the noise level. Now that it's loud and fun again, that class can kick my butt!
  • LadyKatarina
    LadyKatarina Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes Yes. TRY IT...but try at least 3 classes before you decide what you think. The first class can be stressful, as you are just trying to figure out the steps. The second class, you start to recognize some of the moves, and can feel a little less awkward. By the 3rd class, I know I was hooked.

I put in low/moderate intensity effort to my Zumba classes about 4 times per week, my best friend Alexis is the instructor so I know the routines pretty well. We've been doing Zumba for over a year now. I have a Heart Rate Monitor set to my weight, age and gender, and on average I burn between 550 to 650 calories from start to finish in a 60 minute class including the cooldown and stretching at the end.

I hate to exercise, but I love Zumba. I look forward to classes, and feel better, emotionally and physically, when I'm doing Zumba regularly.

I'm a gastric bypass long term post op (10 years, April 20th) and for my 10 year "Re-birthday" we had a GREAT Zumba party with healthy snacks and drinks afterwards.

Now that I'm hooked, I own many Zumba themed shirts and pants (as my profile pic shows), the sweat bands, etc..but really all you need is a bottle of water, a towel, a comfortable exercise outfit and sneakers..and a sense of humor.

Alexis ("Lexy") tells her classes she has three rules for her Zumba classes. 1. Leave your inhibitions at the door. 2. Just keep moving. 3. Have fun. That is all.

~Kat
  • ZumbaGypsy
    ZumbaGypsy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Zumba is exhilerating! If you haven't taken a live class, I highly recommend it! It is wonderful for the soul as well as the body! I wish I found Zumba four years ago when I first quit smoking; maybe I wouldn't have gained the 40 (yikes) pounds that I have gained since then. I did lose twenty when I first started Zumba classes about a year and half ago, but they have slowly crept their way back :( I am right now on a kick start the diet again and going to 4 Zumba classes a week, instead of 3! With a great instructor and motivating class, Zumba brings a smile to your face and an extremely high calorie burn! :smile:
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I would go check it out. It seems to be the thing people are into now. I have done the videos and went once at the gym with a friend. Not a huge fan. I do much more intense workouts. However it is fun and you do learn so moves-haha. Depends on what your are looking for. If it is fun to you-more likely you will stick to it!!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I would like to try it too, but I don't belong to any clubs to get into a class. Does anyone know of any good dvd's to suggest? I could afford one of them better than joining a gym.

Call the gyms that offer it. IME, most gyms will allow non-members to attend classes on a per-class fee. My gym offers Zumba and other aerobics classes to non-members for $6 per class, or a reduced rate with a 10-visit punchcard.
  • LadyKatarina
    LadyKatarina Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Tonight was a record for me: 773 calories burned in 1 hour of Zumba. woot!
  • SHALONDAG
    SHALONDAG Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I love Zumba!!! Started out with the DVDs and then moved on to class at my gym. We have an awesome energetic instructor! I mean HIGH powered classes! I usually burn 800- 1100 calories per hour per my HRM. I leave the class soaked in sweat, but I have so much FUN!!!!!!!
  • cheri03
    cheri03 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I hated it but I am not a person that likes dancing. I am more in to the circuit training.
  • MaggieP86
    Options
    Tonight was a record for me: 773 calories burned in 1 hour of Zumba. woot!

AH I want my hands on a bodybugg sooo badly. Next thing on my 'wishlist' it looks like!
  • BuffTexan
    BuffTexan Posts: 270
    Options
    They always sound like they are having so much fun at the gym, I really wanted to try it, alas, not a single male being in the group. I might feel a bit out of place.. :)
    Monday night was my 2nd time going. 1st time, I was the only male but last night there was 1 other guy there.

We both pretty much had 2 left feet but what the heck, the dancing gave us a GREAT workout! My Polar HRM said I burned 997 cals in 1 hour! Yes, my shirt was drenched and I was beat but it is a lot of fun.

if "I" can do it, and look like a fool while I'm at it, anyone can. :smile:
  • Humphrizzle
    Humphrizzle Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have watched the "classes" in action at the gym. They look ridiculous. I would rather be fat than do that.
  • MaggieP86
    Options
    Monday night was my 2nd time going. 1st time, I was the only male but last night there was 1 other guy there.

We both pretty much had 2 left feet but what the heck, the dancing gave us a GREAT workout! My Polar HRM said I burned 997 cals in 1 hour! Yes, my shirt was drenched and I was beat but it is a lot of fun.

Hey we love the guys who take our classes! There's a few that come in and make fools fo themselves on purpose, they get the girls going. It's great!! Kudos to you for being that male energy in your group!
  • BuffTexan
    Options

Hey we love the guys who take our classes! There's a few that come in and make fools fo themselves on purpose, they get the girls going. It's great!! Kudos to you for being that male energy in your group!
    LOL! I make a fool outta myself but NOT on purpose! :laugh: It's a great workout, fun music, and I'm at the point in my life that I don't care what others might think. Some gym guys think it's "gay" or you have to be flaming to go dance.... NOT!!!
  • BuffTexan
    Options
    I have watched the "classes" in action at the gym. They look ridiculous. I would rather be fat than do that.
    Dude... take your crappy attitude somewhere else...

People here are doing Zumba at the gym and at home and losing a ton of weight. Period. Either support them or STFU. :angry:
  • sweettoothfairy
    sweettoothfairy Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am a new zumba addict.... i have the old transformation DVD's and the new Exhilaration one's. I love Zumba exhilaration, so far i have tried Activate, zumba exhilarate and Ripped. Worked up a great amt of sweat and burned hell lot of calories,
  • miatavixxen
    Options
    Dude... take your crappy attitude somewhere else...

People here are doing Zumba at the gym and at home and losing a ton of weight. Period. Either support them or STFU. :angry:

Amen to that!
  • ZumbaGypsy
    ZumbaGypsy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Can't wait for my class tonight! Got my ipod with my Zumba music in my ears today at my office for motivation!

:)
  • sanikki13
    Options
    I absolutely love zumba, even though I pulled a muscle in my calf this morning in class. That will not stop me. I have the older zumba fitness DVDs, the Wii and I go to the class. I am hooked. Surprisingly I had the dvds for a while and did not use them for a long time for many interrelated reasons, but I have decided not to let anything get in the way of doing my exercise now. I highly recommend it!
  • Jenner22
    Jenner22 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I tried Zumba on the Kinect.. I can see how it would be a great work out.. but I don't have very good coordination and within the first 5 minutes of the the game I get an anger fit. If you're good at dancing or at least learning and moving well.. then it's great.. if not.. then it's not!