Riots in Croydon – I am so so sad I could cry

Options

Replies

• phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I saw a photo in the DailyMail online this morning (which has since been removed thank goodness) It has really, really made me sad. It was of a young white woman maybe in her 20`s clearly overweight and she had been forced to strip totally naked, by black youths. She was pictured talking to a police officer. Also, there is one of a young man being forced to strip by some black youths (this is still in print) I can only imagine the humiliation that she has been put through by having to go through this ordeal, but then to have her picture published and you could clearly see her face.
    This is total mindless violence and bullying and has nothing to do with young people venting their anger at the police or not having jobs.
    I don`t know what the answer is, but things will never ever be the same and racism will be worse than ever between all the cultures.
    Christ, this is a real photo??
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    You want to see something really sad? Watch this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6Gex_ya4-Oo

Some people really have no souls. They are just empty vessels.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I just googled what happened because i hadn't heard a thing.. I don't turn on tv much.. I guess that could happen anywhere, I will have to read to find out what angered these people so much :(

The US was focused on the downgrade and the stock market crash. That's why I add media outlets like BBC, the Guardian and Al Jazeera to my news feed on twitter. I don't have a television currently, but my peer group is well connected. I got the news via facebook. Fantastic photojournalism nearly brought me to tears.

'm so sorry this is happening, Luce. I just posted on my wall, asking for an insider perspective, and I'm glad I saw your thread. Hang in there!
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    Christ, this is a real photo??

Yes Phinners it was very, very real and so upsetting
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is absolutely horrible! I am so sorry for this terrible situation. My thoughts and many prayers go out to you and your entire town. Stay safe and I surely hope that it does not happen again.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Im so sorry,I remeber as a teen getting stuck in LA in the riots.Its very devestating and scary.My thoughts are with everyone going through this.
  • Namaste1983
    Namaste1983 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry all of this is happening :(
  • phinners
    phinners Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Well Britain is in a right mess, what the hell is going to be done about this?

Some of the rioters are looting Poundland, its a f*cking pound shop ffs, just mindless, it's not as if they are stealing nappies and formula! It's a Pound shop!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Sooo awful. I have many good friends in the UK and am very disturbed by all of the news coming out of there right now about the riots. It's sickening what the youth are doing and makes me so ANGRY at this world! :mad:
  • BerkeleyMama
    Options
    Lucy: I don't know if you are still following this thread, I hope you have gotten some rest and will do your best to take care of yourself, as you obviously take care of so many others.

We've experienced frightening riots here in California for years (Rodney King seem very similar to what's happening, LA was simply on fire, looting, rioting, masses of people beating one another up. And the violence actually spread throughout CA. In Berkeley, where there were no peaceful protests happening at all, kids (teens and pre-teens) looted local stores.

In comparison to the riots in Libya and Syria and Egypt, there seems no justification is remotely possible.

What I can tell you is that it will pass. And what will come out of it in the end may help strengthen the power police are given to protect citizens, and groups of people worked together to bring peace and clean things up. It's already happening, from what I have been reading. Thanks for the post and take care.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

same up here, when I was younger we used to drink (underage) in little hidden places, not bothering anyone, and they used to actively hunt us down because they knew that we, being decent human beings and all, wouldn't put up much of a fight - but there were huge crews of chavs (the same age) also underage drinking, fighting, beating people up, stealing, vandalising and they did nothing about it because there was a chance they'd actually have to do their jobs

OT I know... under age drinking is a crime, therefore you were committing the same crime as the 'chavs'.

NO, the key point is we weren't hurting anyone. Yes underage drinking is a crime but HELLO everyone does it. The point I made is, the chavs were also underage drinking + vandalism + violence etc, they were the ones causing problems, not us, but the police took the ***** option.
    And it's not even their fault, it's their superiors that give rubbish orders. I've had some terrible experiences where the police have failed to do their jobs (that they volunteer for, know what they're getting into and get paid well for BTW) and by failing have put me and my friends lives in danger countless times. And they aint exatcly doing a great job down in england just now are they?
  • BillyC96
    BillyC96 Posts: 7,560 Member
    Options
    Call in the army. Show of force in big numbers. This is nuts and it has to stop now. Enough is enough.
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    First, I'm terribly sorry for anyone affected by the rioting and problems in the UK the last couple of days. I hope everyone stays safe and it ends soon.

That said, I have to remind everyone to keep this topic within the forum rules: politics and racial issues may not be discussed, as this is not the place for that. Please keep it respectful and within forum rules.

Thank you for your cooperation, and our thoughts are with you.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
  • Begood03
    Begood03 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    The police should just shoot a few of the rioters, and all the others will run and hide! You may ask what about the lives of those shot? But I say if you do that it won't happen again!
  • mermx
    Options
    Yes Ladyhawk00

I think I am a guilty party by posting a link to a newspaper article that I had previously mentioned :-( I am just so outraged & upset by the photo I saw!!!
    But I totally agree with the forum rules and I do not want it to escalate into racial upset as MFP members are so supportive of each other;-)

My thoughts are with the OP and all the other people around the UK that are suffering because of this mindless violence.

I am very lucky that I live next to the sea and walked my little dog tonight, as always, and it seems a million miles away from what I am now watching on the TV and worrying about family members that live in these areas that are suffering all the violence.

I can only hope that I never have to see anything like this again
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    yes i hate that this is turning into a racial issue - all people are looting!!!
  • lcarter25
    lcarter25 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    First, I'm terribly sorry for anyone affected by the rioting and problems in the UK the last couple of days. I hope everyone stays safe and it ends soon.

That said, I have to remind everyone to keep this topic within the forum rules: politics and racial issues may not be discussed, as this is not the place for that. Please keep it respectful and within forum rules.

Thank you for your cooperation, and our thoughts are with you.
    Ladyhawk00
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator

thank you
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    yes i hate that this is turning into a racial issue - all people are looting!!!

Exactly. It's not a race issue. It's an idiot issue.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i saw this on the news today. o_o I'm so sorry. looks awful and scary!
  • mermx
    Options
    Yes msf74 and what the idiots do not realise is that they are ruining the whole communities that they live in, people can not go to work because their businesses have been ruined. They have no money then to pay rent and mortgages. No shops to visit to buy things they need.

My 2 sons are both `doormen` in nightclubs and they are losing thier pay because the clubs are closed, both will have no money to pay the rent at the end of the week (or maybe longer) or for 1 of them to feed their girlfriend and little girl.

There is no `glory` in this it ruins lives in a time when the whole world is in a financial crisis.

MINDLESS and unecessary :explode: