Brief Rant on Overweight Kids....You've Been Warned....

Options
124»

Replies

• emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I do agree. Health should always be talked about, but calling kids names is terrible. My 6 year old is terribly skinny. I am even careful about calling her my little "skinny-minnie". I used to when she was younger as a term of endearment, but she is getting older now, and I am very careful. My husband was like that exactly and was teased horrible for being so tall and thin. I think children younger than teens can reason. We talk about healthy and unhealthy food all the time. I don't ever even say "fattening" food. We talk about how the body works and that food is fuel for the body. We talk about special treats like pizza, cookies, and birthday cake. She already has a good understanding about food. Occasionally, she will even ask, "is this healthy?". Hahahahaha... Anyway, I think education is the way and most parents don't want to give it the time and energy it takes. It takes a lot more time to cook all the time, I know cause I do. We eat out occasionally, maybe once a month, when we are super busy on the weekend, but even little kids can have an understanding about our bodies and learn to treat it well!!!:)
  • Alicia_Monique
    Alicia_Monique Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My parents were both over weight. They ALWAYS make comments about my weight because they don't want me to have to feel the way they do when I'm their age. My grandparents are both very, very slim and active people and they constantly make comments about my weight, as well.

Maybe I just wasn't as sensitive to it as it seems like others are? They made comments about my weight because they didn't want me to suffer when I got older. I didn't take their advice, and look where it got me! Obese with stretch marks!

I don't think out right calling your kid a fat *kitten* is the right way to go about letting them know they should probably lose a little weight, but I guess I don't see anything wrong with parents telling their children they do need to lose weight????
  • AutumnsPassage
    AutumnsPassage Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Ok so I'm reposting my comment on overweight children and parenting from another thread as no one seemed to take notice.

It's interesting how several MFP members consider it abuse -or the parents fault- if a child is overweight. My son is overweight as a parent I am doing everything I can to encourage a healthy lifestyle. We have him on a specialized plan that his Doctor has created -not a diet. We talk openly about fat in our family not as a negative but as a reality. We also talk about teasing which has made my son stronger. I have always been there for him every step of the way, he isn't overweight because I'm a bad parent. He has ODD, an under-active thyroid and genetics are against him. He has always been a big boy since he was born, I breastfed him for over year. The ODD makes it hard to get him active but it's a struggle I take on daily. At home we provide him with healthy meals and I've done everything in my power to get his father and grandparents which he visits often on board but they seem to only feed him take out. I became overweight because of all the stress in my life I don't make time for myself and when no one is round find myself snacking on junk and laying in bed because I'm depressed -when my sons not home so my unhealthy habits aren't exhibited in front of him. So before you cast judgement on the parents of overweight parents perhaps you should stop and think maybe this child is over weight due to other issues other than diet and physical activity. Yes parents who let their children eat whatever when ever are being abusive but that is not always the case. When a child is overweight it's not about dieting and massive exercise it's about trying to help them not gain anymore so they can grow into their weight. Putting children on diet plans and extreme exercise plans can damage their development.
  • lord_lethris
    lord_lethris Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I get so pissed when people bring in their daughters for flower girl or junior bridesmaids dresses and laugh when their children don't fit in the larger size. Or when they cry because they "didnt realize" how overweight they are. Does the big mac in their hands have anything to do with that? Or the Pepsi you gave them to keep them quiet during your shopping trip? I agree we need to be sensitive to the children but come on parents, who is in charge here?!?!

it's not the kids fault they are given adult sized meals & garbage food. It's the parents.

I agree. As a parent you should take FULL responsibility for your child and there eating habbits. Even if they eat junk at school -make a pack lunch and discipline the flippin school!!

It makes me grind my teeth when "parents" say "oh but my child helps themselves to food in the fridge/cupboard, etc,". Seriously! Get a grip! Place your "Snacks" somewhere your child cannot get too. And don't say you can't because its only £1 for a lock set from a £ shop ;) . Lock up a cupboard!. If your kids hungry because it has the stomach the size of a football due to bad eating habbits, feed them something fat free and fiber filling to stop the hunger.!

YOU are the parent, sort your kids out! Help is out there!

**Grits teeth**

And then there's the "Oh but they've eaten at school at lunch, so i'll make them a sandwich for dinner" <-- THIS IS CR@P
    Your child needs a proper dinner to calm the hunger into a routine, otherwise, you guessed it, they will SNACK... and then SNACKING becomes a habit, and you'll be feeding your kids too many snacks without realizing, ie "mum can I have a [brand of chocolate]" - without thinking you say "Yes dear" whilst flicking over to watch the next TV program in your good parenting agenda (kids are smart enough to know when to ask you something without you knowing about it).
  • LilBelieve
    Options
    Slight change of topic: What do you think parents/relatives/etc. should say to a child who is struggling with weight?

My parents were not good role models in the nutrition department. My mother lost 60 pounds by simply not eating and then for dinner stop by whatever fast food place was on the way home to pick up food for my sister and me. I saw her be unhealthy to her body, through under nutrition, but I had no idea as a child how to be healthy in my food choices. I am educating myself now and getting healthier, but I have often wondered if I would have taken offense if my mother had tried to talk to me about my weight. How can parents bring it up in a loving and constructive way? You want to support your children and assure them they are loved but also help them to change. Any ideas or experiences to help those who might have kids at home now?
  • lord_lethris
    lord_lethris Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Slight change of topic: What do you think parents/relatives/etc. should say to a child who is struggling with weight?

There is good stuff here -> http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Obesity-in-Children.htm

They explain different ways you can help your child and how to be tactful but sympathetic about it.