"I don't workout because of my hair"

Options
13»

Replies

• Fitandsexy_fe
    Fitandsexy_fe Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The thing that I have been doing is on my workout days after exercising I put a head band on just to cover up most of my sweated out edges. Then flat iron it on my 2 days off from the gym. I dont want to flat iron it every day because I do not want to damage my hair. As long as I am not going on a hot date I think I can get away with doing this for a little while. The sew-in has saved me big time.
  • ambermichon
    ambermichon Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I have thick curly hair as well and its a mess!!! I use dry shampoo to get rid of any sweaty smells and oils that may linger. I cant wash my hair every day or it gets dried out and frizzy so this works in the mean time. My best friend is black and she wont workout because of this either....maybe the dry shampoo would help?
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    that's why I work out at night! I work out and then wash my crazy hair before bed and wrap it all up in a scarf. If i worked out in the morning I could one have greasy hair under my wig, or wet hair under it?...so night time workouts are what work for my hair! :bigsmile:
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Options
    I have thick curly hair as well and its a mess!!! I use dry shampoo to get rid of any sweaty smells and oils that may linger. I cant wash my hair every day or it gets dried out and frizzy so this works in the mean time. My best friend is black and she wont workout because of this either....maybe the dry shampoo would help?

What exactly is dry shampoo?
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options

What exactly is dry shampoo?

It is an absorbant powder you shake on your hair.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am adopted and I have thick curly,frizzy hair. I flatiron my hair on non-workout days,workout at night the next 3 days with my hair in a ponytail on top of my head and touch up my hair in the morning. If I wash my hair any more or less I have problems,that is why I usually go natural.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I just walk around looking like crap all the time.

^ This!
  • trini14
    trini14 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    What we go through as women, lol.
  • tattereds
    tattereds Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I have really thick hair that must be washed at least every second or third day. I always blow dry after washing or else it literally takes all day to dry. We are talking, I can wash it at 7am, go about my day, and then still have wet roots when it is time to shower or hop in to bed :p Drying is a mission though, and takes me about 15 minutes for a decent full dry, or longer if I am styling anything other than just "dry" lol.

I always blow dry after a work out for this reason also. Usually takes about 5 minutes for this. Having wet hair for too long just makes me itchy and surely can't be good for my scalp PH otherwise right?? I have an ionic ceramic hairdryer, and I find that it deals with my crazy hair very well, and I can use my straightener for any especially crazy bits. I tend to try to save my harder workouts for right before I plan to wash my hair tho, because if I'm going to have to go through the full drying time, I may as well wash :/
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    Not specifically my hair, but when I work out I sweat so much that I'm stinky, including in my hair. If I can't shower after and I have somewhere to be, I have been known to think twice before hitting the gym.

That said, I try to plan it so that I can work out and shower. Sometimes that means early morning, or hitting the gym instead of going out to lunch (and packing a lunch I can eat afterwards that won't take a long time). There's ways around it.
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Options
    What we go through as women, lol.

way too much! lol
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I just walk around looking like crap all the time.

If MFP allowed us to "like" posts, then I would like this one... you sound awesome.

"Like!"

But with a healthy body, who's looking at your head?
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'm not black (and don't know what a weave is) but I have thick curly hair that easily gets frizzy and out of control.
    I usually run in the morning and get really sweaty so I have to shower. I rinse my hair most days to get rid of the sweat and only use shampoo once a week. This has helped a bit with the frizzies, though it helps that it's winter too, it gets worse when it is hot and dry in summer.
    My solution is to keep my hair mid length so I can put it up in a ponytail or clip to keep it under control :)
    I have more problems in summer when I need to wear a hat - then i end up with the dreaded "hat hair"!
  • Fitandsexy_fe
    Options
    I'm not black (and don't know what a weave is) but I have thick curly hair that easily gets frizzy and out of control.
    I usually run in the morning and get really sweaty so I have to shower. I rinse my hair most days to get rid of the sweat and only use shampoo once a week. This has helped a bit with the frizzies, though it helps that it's winter too, it gets worse when it is hot and dry in summer.
    My solution is to keep my hair mid length so I can put it up in a ponytail or clip to keep it under control :)
    I have more problems in summer when I need to wear a hat - then i end up with the dreaded "hat hair"!

weave is just hair extensions.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I know what they are!!
  • verair
    verair Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    GO NATURAL

seriously!:explode:
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    there are so many reasons not to work out but my hair has never been one of them, i am african american and if it was not for braids i would proably just cut it short or wear it natrally either way its not a issue.
  • Runninginafatsuit
    Runninginafatsuit Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am natural and wearing my hair in twists is the best thing ever for working out. My hair dries pretty fast when in twists and I have a swimming routine down that works for me.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I am not black, I am hispanic. However, I only wash my hair every two days because if I wash it everyday it gets oily. I've had other hispanic girls say they have the same problem. I put my hair back with a headband and that's all I do. I have a short hair cut. When I shower I just wet the tips and then use a dry shampoo afterward.