ideas for super low-calorie, filling snacks?

dr_sus
dr_sus Posts: 10 Member
OK, so you hit the end of the day and you don't have many calories left to play with. But you are hungry and you want to eat a LARGE QUANTITY of food. What do you do? Any ideas for big foods with little calories? Here are my ideas. Please add yours!! :smile:

lots of steamed veggies
10 calorie sugar free jello - eat 4 servings for only 40 calories

Replies

• dr_sus
    dr_sus Posts: 10 Member
    OK, so you hit the end of the day and you don't have many calories left to play with. But you are hungry and you want to eat a LARGE QUANTITY of food. What do you do? Any ideas for big foods with little calories? Here are my ideas. Please add yours!! :smile:

lots of steamed veggies
    10 calorie sugar free jello - eat 4 servings for only 40 calories
  • keira
    keira Posts: 25
    I agree...I love vegetables, and could eat a huge plate full and not feel guilty.
  • lifesaver
    lifesaver Posts: 132
    celery ahha
  • keira
    keira Posts: 25
    yeah...not celery though.lol
  • lacotto
    lacotto Posts: 13 Member
    Carrots. My mom ate carrots alot when she was pregnant with me and it stuck. I could eat carrots all day.
    Grapes. 20 green grapes are about 20 calories, and if you freeze them first ( don't try it with purple ones!!!) they seem to last even longer and are kind of like mini popsicles.
    Oatmeal with splenda/cinnamon and a couple raisins. I end up with a couple hundred calories to play with at the end of the day and it's like a oatmeal cookie (YUM!)
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    100 calorie packs of popcorn or pretzels

raw green peppers and celery with 1 wedge of Laughing Cow cheese (less than 75 cals)

Quaker instant oatmeal (raisin and spice is only 150 cals)

Weight Watcher's ice cream bars (cookies and cream is 140 cals)
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    definitely popcorn (the less butter the more i can eat)
  • Pickles! I could live off of them. Too bad the sodium is so high though.
  • A half cup of fresh strawberries with four tablespoons of the light whipped topping = 90 calories.

A cup of ripe cherries = 95 calories

And soup!
  • Home-made Soup! Canned soups vary!:wink:
  • popcorn, popcorn and more low fat popcorn
  • R0iB0i26
    R0iB0i26 Posts: 29 Member
    yum yum :happy:
    you could also make your own smoothies or fruit/ veggie drinks, but make sure you pick the one's that are low :smile:

i do it most of the time, and it's a filler
  • POPPYCORNY!!! And Veggies!! Sugar Snap peas are yummy... but I am not too sure about their calorie content... hmmm... I think i am gonna go look that up!! :tongue:
  • yeah popcorn wins with me as well...it seems to me i can eat veggies and fruits for days and not be full off them....so yeah popcorn it my choice!
  • kristie874
    kristie874 Posts: 774 Member
    julienne up veggies like carrots and zucchini, throw in some bean sprouts and chopped up peas, add a small handful of chopped peanuts, a super small dash of sesame oil, a diced jalapeno, a little soy sauce, lime juice, chili paste (if you like spice), and a little rice vinegar. i use this mixture to make summer rolls...with the wraps, but the filling is good on it's own as a sort of veggie salad. it would also be good with some shredded red cabbage. hope this helps!
  • flachix
    flachix Posts: 256 Member
    EGG WHITES
    take 3 egg whites at room temp, beat to stiff peaks adding splenda when they get foamy, I add a half tsp of cream of tartar and a flavor extract like peppermint. this makes a huge bowl of meringue. drop by spoons onto wax paper or sprayed cookie sheet. and bake in slow oven. it takes about 45 mins. you can bake them in a hotter oven. but watch them close and the texture is a bit different. then munch munch. keep them air tight or they turn into something else. its all protein. only 60 calories for the egg whites. they are fat free of course. sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon, leave the splenda out and use savory spices instead. you get at least a dozen big ol cookies or bunches odf pop in your mouth ones. you can make a litte dent in the middle and add a 1/2 tsp sugar free jam, this is the perfect base for a fill....drop them into muffin tins make a deep well, bake empty then at the dinner table or when ever you can fill with fresh fruit. makes a great presentation. yum
  • If you want jello, but not the whole thing (for the 40 calories) eat the one serving (10 calories) and add some fruit to your jello or a small spoon full of sugar free coolwhip. Bananas are great with strawberry banana jello.

just a thought,
    imokia:wink:
  • mrsjo79
    mrsjo79 Posts: 123
    Jello's Fat free chocolate pudding with sliced up bananas.........Mmmmm. The bananas bulk it out and make it seem like more:bigsmile:
  • I really like the 100 calorie snacks that are out there. Don't eat them all the time, but it gives me the salt craving or sugar craving that I may be having.
  • GemFB
    GemFB Posts: 104 Member
    I have what I call the ultimate snack plate. it contains:

Snow peas (for somthing sweet)
    Strawberries
    2 thinly sliced pieces deli style turkey (protein)
    A mini bagle w/ lowfat cream cheese
    grapes

Wonderful...Oh and a diet pepsi included!

It definetly fills me up...and it's all of about 400-500 calories

:drinker: