ideas for super low-calorie, filling snacks?

Options

Replies

• killerqueen
    Options
    carrots dipped in spicy mustard
    broccoli in hummus
    light and fit carb and sugar control vanilla yogurt- 60 calories, add some granola for lots of substance
  • tiffers_03
    Options
    I love cooked carrots, raw red bel peppers and green grapes. OH and I think I could live on blackberries or strawberries with cool whip..YUM!
  • momnmore
    momnmore Posts: 20
    Options
    I've been throwing Go-gurt in the freezer. When I take it out I run it under warm water for a couple of seconds, then cut the end off and eat it just like a freezie pop. They are yummy and take longer to eat than the unfrozen ones. They're only 70 calories too, so I don't feel guilty if I decide I need a 2nd one.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    OK, so you hit the end of the day and you don't have many calories left to play with. But you are hungry and you want to eat a LARGE QUANTITY of food. What do you do? Any ideas for big foods with little calories? Here are my ideas. Please add yours!! :smile:

lots of steamed veggies
    10 calorie sugar free jello - eat 4 servings for only 40 calories

I make my sugar free jello with diet vernors instead of water (yes, I know it adds more sodium..). It gives it a little zing and tingle and a bit different flavor. Then, when it's set, I run it through my mixer to break it up, and add Cool Whip Free to it. I've never measured the Cool Whip, but my guess is that each 1/2 cup serving is about 35 to 50 calories. I find that at night, I want a sweet snack, and this does it for me!
  • kermiehiho
    kermiehiho Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Try eating a WHOLE apple. :tongue:
    I think the water in it makes it super filling.
  • chunkabutt25
    chunkabutt25 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    mmm I looooove dry cereal! Corn pops are amazing and yogurt burst cheerios come in at a close second!:heart:
  • Sparklene
    Sparklene Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    light whip topping, sugar-free cheesecake jello pudding mix 1 cup skim milk... great as a fruit dip or to get me through the gotta have cheesecake days!!!:love:
    I've just joined and have been looking all afternoon at recipes (and getting quite hungry!) and don't think I've seen this suggestion which may be very old, but it's new to me. I just discovered it on another site this weekend, and it is very good:

For that cheesecake fix: Spread a thin layer of FF or LF cream cheese on a Graham cracker and top with strawberry or whatever flavored splenda-sweetened or SF preserves. Really does taste like cheesecake.
  • ndiamond
    ndiamond Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I just had a 1/4 cup (15 - 20) edamame steamed from last night...they were super cold and just a hint of salt. Having to pop them in my mouth gave me some satisfaction too! :happy:
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    fat free yogurt.:drinker:
  • wanderinglight
    wanderinglight Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    EGG WHITES
    take 3 egg whites at room temp, beat to stiff peaks adding splenda when they get foamy, I add a half tsp of cream of tartar and a flavor extract like peppermint. this makes a huge bowl of meringue. drop by spoons onto wax paper or sprayed cookie sheet. and bake in slow oven. it takes about 45 mins. you can bake them in a hotter oven. but watch them close and the texture is a bit different. then munch munch. keep them air tight or they turn into something else. its all protein. only 60 calories for the egg whites. they are fat free of course. sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon, leave the splenda out and use savory spices instead. you get at least a dozen big ol cookies or bunches odf pop in your mouth ones. you can make a litte dent in the middle and add a 1/2 tsp sugar free jam, this is the perfect base for a fill....drop them into muffin tins make a deep well, bake empty then at the dinner table or when ever you can fill with fresh fruit. makes a great presentation. yum

Wow! going to try this.
  • babiliz
    babiliz Posts: 2
    Options
    Heat up some frozen spinach and sprinkle on some parmesan cheese and a little salt and pepper. Virtually calorie free, a tad cheesy
    and it will keep you busy for a while. I hate when snacks vanish after a few seconds, like a little granola bar that can be eaten in one breath. Bulk is important for me. Like most people who battle with keeping a trim figure, I LIKE THE ACT OF EATING. :)

Also, bake some fresh broccoli with a little slat and pepper (it is crispy that way) and ad a little low-fat cheddar on top.
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I usually go for popcorn or pretzels in this situation. I love the butter, but leave it off and use butter buds so that I can eat more when I'm hungry and low on calories. What a great thread! Thanks for starting it - I'm getting some good ideas.
  • rsmclaurin
    rsmclaurin Posts: 77
    Options
    On Sunday I like to slice up some green, red, and yellow peppers and pack them in 5 zip lock bags with 5 wedges of laughing cow, and I have a snack to take to work with me monday-friday and all prepackaged :smile: . Perfect for on the go - and tastey!!
  • jgr117
    jgr117 Posts: 2
    Options
    STEAMED VEGETABLES!!! made some today, a medley of cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, summer squash, brussel sprouts, red peppers and onions, yummm. mixed in a tad of sesame oil and soy sauce. i've had 3 cups so far today haha! under 200 calories. granted this depends on what veggies you use and wether are not your going to add any sauces/oils for flavor. but you can eat it until it comes out of your ears.
  • natl27
    natl27 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    This sounds amazing!
    I like to make what I call Pumpkin Fluff. I got the recipe right here at MFP right after I joined this past October. I have been eating it almost everyday since.

How I make it:

1 - 15.5 oz. can Pumpkin
    8oz. Fat Free Vanilla Yogurt
    1 - tea. Cinnamon
    ¼ - tea. Ground Cloves
    ¼ - tea. Ground Ginger
    15 packets Splenda

I mix it all together and keep it in the frig.
    Makes 6 - 4oz. Servings
    Each Serving is 50 Calories

That 1 - 4oz serving is very satisfying and I am not hungry. It’s a really good snack. Since I have started eating it I have quit eating the 100 calorie pack snack cookies and crackers and besides it is better for me also. It’s a good thing lol :bigsmile:
    :flowerforyou:
  • sacfrazier
    Options
    1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese with a tablespoon of applebutter. Only 110 calories!
  • All sorts of vegetables. I eat truly absurd quantities of broccoli, cabbage, carrots, and the like. It's kind of embarrassing....like, NO I DIDN'T EAT 3 CUPS OF FAT-FREE COLE SLAW...well, maybe I did.
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Try Laughing Cow Light cheese wedges...Theyre only 35 calories a wedge with some veggies or a handful of wheat thins...
  • shannon_stallone
    Options
    Or try fat free popped popcorn, a cup of it with some I can't believe its not butter spray, tastes just like buttered popcorn!