Advice For New Runners

Options
124»

Replies

• lmaharj
    lmaharj Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Great question and I love reading all the answers. I want to start running too but I always give up quick because I do the run (for a short period) then walk, run, walk. How long does the average person have to do this to build the stamina to run for a period of time. I have great stamina on the eliptical or in a spin class but the running turns me into a wuss. I would love input:) Thanks Nita

It can take a while for your body to get use to it. Each time you go out for a run, try to do better than the last time you ran. If you do 30 seconds of running and 3 minutes of walking the first time, try running 45 seconds and walking 2:30 minutes, so on and so forth. Also training for events helped me. I signed up to do a 5k and started training 2 months beforehand and now I can run double that and the event is 2 weeks away.
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Great question and I love reading all the answers. I want to start running too but I always give up quick because I do the run (for a short period) then walk, run, walk. How long does the average person have to do this to build the stamina to run for a period of time. I have great stamina on the eliptical or in a spin class but the running turns me into a wuss. I would love input:) Thanks Nita

Oh it's just something everyone has to work at. Just start out slowly and you'll get there.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

"Calm down killer. I use to have that same problem in high school when I did cross country. My doctor told me to start breathing with my diaphragm. It's not degrading. It helped me so I passed it along."
    [/quote]

You just sounded really condesceding when you said, "Really? That surprises me based on the information you are giving out in this forum." As if everything I said was bs. We all get our information from other sources. Not a single one of us has done a scientific study. I try to learn and adapt as best I can.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about stretching, it's not necessary, as more and more research is confirming.

Can you show me this research? I have never heard this in my life.

I can't run without stretching, can't think of many of my peers who can either.

To the OP, check out my blog if you want. :)

Yep. Coming up. (I guess you weren't around for the huge stretching arguement I started last week. Let's not turn this into that again. Search "goodbye stretching" if you want to read the pages of differing opinions. There is some good information.)

I actually do NOT stretch before I run. I do start about 2-3 minutes earlier than my planned run and WALK and then do a cool down WALK after my run.

The only time I've ever felt more fatigued than not is when I stretched before running. So I stopped and now it's better LOL. Different strokes for different folks though
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Here are my 20 tips for new runners:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

My favourite is still:
    When you start out, it’s HARD! Even if you think you’re fit, running is so different to anything else you’ve done before you will get out of breath quickly. Stick with it. Can’t manage a minute? Go slow. Still can’t? GO SLOWER!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    1) Stretch.
    2) Get fitted for running shoes that work with/for your particular gait.
    3) Stay hydrated.
    4) Moisture-wicking socks really DO prevent blisters.
    5) Breathe. Breathing and posture can really make the difference between an awesome running experience and a horrible one.
    THIS!

My 2
    1) Take it easy! Don't try to do to much. Take off days to let your body repair!
    2) Use the C25K Program to ease you into running.
  • maura1110
    maura1110 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    the right running shoes make all the difference in the world. they are expensive, but it is an investment that you need to make if you are going to run.

also learning how to breathe correctly makes a huge difference. google articles on "belly breathing". i was running for months before i discovered this and now i'm able to run for so much longer becuase instead of getting winded right away you can breathe efficiently.

these would be the 2 major things i would suggest other than have fun and enjoy it ! :) and maybe sign up for a 5K or 10k race to keep you motivated and give yourself a goal to work toward.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    There is more than 5 I'd suggest. For example: Talk to your doctor about any concerns you might have, get a good pair of shoes, and warm up/cool down. Those are kind of a given.

1) Hydration is key! If you're just starting, water will be your best friend. If you're a hardcore athlete and started taking on running, you can go for the Gatorade. The only reason why I'd tell someone to not drink Gatorade is because it has lots of sugar that you might not work off if you won't work out on a regular basis (I mean 2 hours at the gym, play a vigorous sport and/or do aerobics 5 days a week).
    2) Start gentle and build up slowly.. It's okay to walk 3 minutes and run 30 seconds for a total of 30-60 minutes.. I'd suggest it. I started that way and now I can run half marathons (within a month's time) 5 days a week. There's nothing wrong with it.
    3) Strength train. The one thing running can do is present aches in places you don't normally work out. Strengthen every muscle you can so you can run without getting muscle aches.
    4) Inhale deep through your nose and exhale through your mouth. Nothing says "Great Run" like blood circulation.
    5) Keeping a steady pace means to conserve energy. You don't want to give it your all right off the bat. You won't progress if you do. At first I kept a steady 11 mile an hour pace until I could run 10 miles non-stop, then started building speed while trying to hit that 10 miles..

I also like to track my progress and I suggest others to as well. It's more encouraging and keeps you motivated if you do. If you don't have an HRM, there are great sites you can go to (like Mapmyrun.com) to track how far you've gone. I'd also suggest getting a good playlist: Jog.fm is a great way to figure out what songs to listen to based on your pace or average heart rate during your jog. It also helps to run with a buddy :P

Look, if you think 11 mph is steady, I think I'm going to run at a paltry 5 mph into my corner and cry :laugh:
  • AmberCHM
    AmberCHM Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Bump for future reading