When you just don't want to workout...

Options

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and do whatever was on the original agenda. Force yourself. Bribe yourself. Whatever it takes.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Simple, don't think about it, just DO it. Usually after 5 minutes I'm all into it.

That honestly doesn't work. I can't even get through the warm up. I just can't do it. Then I end up slacking the whole way through the workout (if I even get all the way through it) then I just feel horrible by the end because I slacked the whole way through.

How about this then?

sacrifice.jpg
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Dance!

I've tried that. lol Still doesn't work sadly. :(

----

Thanks for all the suggestions.
  • kevinlynch3
    kevinlynch3 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Agree with Brent..don't think..just do it..you know that regardless of how unmotivated you are, you will feel much better afterwards.

That is the one factor that defines the difference between working out because you feel you have to versus working out because you can't NOT workout. I know...double negative there...lol
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    Suck it up and do whatever was on the original agenda. Force yourself. Bribe yourself. Whatever it takes.

worth re-posting
    :heart:
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Time like this, I will:

* set a goal to a store near by (or mailbox if you have something to mail), whatever distance works for walking or biking
    * walk or ride to the store
    * buy something small and come back

This way you don't keep thinking you are working but a cheaper way to go out to get something.

If you get out and feels good, may be take a detour to walk/bike a little bit longer.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I will second the yoga suggestion. It doesn't need to be a long time. Look up the sun salutation series and go thru it once or twice. Stretching doesn't feel as mentally overwhelming, plus a lot of time when I'm finished I feel like doing more.
  • azingale
    azingale Posts: 74
    Options
    SHOP. ;)

Seriously, when I do this, at least I've walked the entire length of the mall both ways, both upstairs and downstairs... and I will park far away... I often don't even buy anything (or I just get like a $5 necklace or something at Target I needed anyway...)
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    haha I was actually searching the forums today to see if there were any similar posts because thats EXACTLY how ive been feeling the last few days!! Usually im really into it, il just go up and do it (im in the middle of the 30DS...even though i have missed a few days) but yesterday I got up and just had no motivation whatsoever.....so I didnt workout.....but il admit i felt pretty crappy and ended up snacking on everything in sight!
    Today I woke up with pretty much the same feeling lol.....and I had myself convinced I wouldnt exercise today either....but once afternoon came something just made me get up off my lazy butt and I walked on the treadmill for 30mins, felt much better after it! Im sure everyone has days or weeks where they just fizzle out and maybe it just means you need a break or do something different to keep active, for example when I didnt workout i tried to be extra active around the house ie. doing the washing, cleaning, vacuuming etc.

Anyone else get sick of exercising and just need to take a break??.....Or am I just making excuses?
  • KayteeBear
    Options
    SHOP. ;)

Seriously, when I do this, at least I've walked the entire length of the mall both ways, both upstairs and downstairs... and I will park far away... I often don't even buy anything (or I just get like a $5 necklace or something at Target I needed anyway...)

Haha, that would work well..but the nearest mall is 45 minutes away. lol
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options

worth re-posting
    :heart:

and again. Do you REALLY think I like getting out of my comfy bed at 4:30 am to run or lift? REALLY?

NO...but I just get up and go!

(okay maybe I like it a *little* bit)

Still, as NIke says, Just do it!

You could find another activity that you LOVE to do (run, zumba, yoga, dance, etc.) since videos can get boring!
  • Panda_Jack
    Panda_Jack Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I usually HTFU and do it anyways.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    When I don't want to workout, I find a picture of myself with a double chin and remind myself that if I was meant to have 2 chins then there would be something in anatomy class that would have warrented that as normal.
  • Elmaunie
    Elmaunie Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you can force/coax yourself into doing it it'll become habit soon enough anyway. Then you'll feel restless on the days when you cba and just end up doing it anyway!

Sometimes when I can't be bothered I write it down on here first then think that I HAVE to do it cus I've written it down now lol.

Ooh, or join a gym! I'm a total skinflint and feel like I'm wasting money if I don't use the facility I'm paying for!

It's really satisfying to sit down afterwards, knowing that you kept your promise to yourself and knowing that you would have felt crap for the whole of the rest of the day and kicked yourself for having no motivation.

Buy yourself a gorgeous pair of trousers or something in a size smaller than you normally are and hang it up where you can see it!

Buy a Kinect or Wii - something that involves movement ad FUN! Personally, I'm a sucker for a high score and an achievement lol. Maybe you'll find that the interaction makes it feel less like a chore and more like just a game :)

Whatever works for you but make sure you get up and DO IT!!! :)
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I usually have a day of rest every week, not always complete rest, but otherwise, I try to get at it no matter how I feel. I know it's good for me, and I know that doing it is going to make me more motivated the next time. SO I really push myself in spite of how I feel.
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    I workout at home mostly and sometimes I get bored with DVD's too. I've found that usually it's because I've done the DVD so much that I find the instructor annoying after a while. lol So, I will do the DVD anyway...just put it on mute and blast some music instead. It makes it feel "different". AND I pay attention to the workout a little more since I can't hear the cues for what's next.
  • KayteeBear
    Options

You could find another activity that you LOVE to do (run, zumba, yoga, dance, etc.) since videos can get boring!

I actually really enjoy my workouts (I have a wide variety of videos that I do. I switch them up all the time so I don't get bored).
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Every morning I get up at 4:30am and I train at the gym like it's World War 3. Every single day....well except Sundays cause thats my off day. =)
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I usually just do it but yesterdays workout was rather difficult to get through it so today I think I may just go for a long walk. :bigsmile:
  • sarahmaryfearnley
    sarahmaryfearnley Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I workout at home mostly and sometimes I get bored with DVD's too. I've found that usually it's because I've done the DVD so much that I find the instructor annoying after a while. lol So, I will do the DVD anyway...just put it on mute and blast some music instead. It makes it feel "different". AND I pay attention to the workout a little more since I can't hear the cues for what's next.

Also works for me. Feels like a totally different workout.