Remembering the 80's

Options
12346»

Replies

• xFunctionalStrengthx
    xFunctionalStrengthx Posts: 4,928 Member
    Options
    I was thinking it might have been Molly Ringwald or Madonna since it was very popular then.
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    mqtobtqncaqh.jpeg

1986?

At my great grandma’s house.

Molly Ringwald eat your heart out! :D<3
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    1jtwtkr3eu6s.jpeg

1981?

That’s me in the (pink) roller disco shirt.

Awesome! :D
  • Sivadee00
    Sivadee00 Posts: 428 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I remember seeing Batman with Keaton and Nicholson in the movie theater when it came out. No one ever had enough hair spray or L.A. hair gel and I loved my plastic transparent (with glowing pink florescent light) wall phone. It was so bright like a bar sign at night. Memories!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Debbie Gibson and Tiffany.
  • Renaissance_Turtle
    Renaissance_Turtle Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    sfertch wrote: »
    Author unknown:

I am a child of the eighties. That is what I prefer to be called. When I got home from school, I played with my Atari 2600. I spent hours playing Pitfall or Combat or Breakout or Dodge'em Cars or Frogger. I never did beat Asteroids. Then I watched "Scooby Doo." Daphne was a Goddess, and I thought Shaggy was smoking something synthetic in the back of their psychedelic van. I hated Scrappy.

I would sleep over at friends' houses on the weekends. We played army with G.I. Joe figures, and I set up galactic wars between Autobots and Decepticons. We stayed up half the night throwing marshmallows and Velveeta at one another. We never beat the Rubik's Cube.

I got up on Saturday mornings at 6 a.m. to watch bad Hanna-Barbera cartoons like "The Snorks," "Jabberjaw," "Captain Caveman," and "Space Ghost." In between, I would watch "School House Rock." ("Conjunction junction, what's your function?")

On weeknights, Daisy Duke was my future wife. I was going to own the General Lee and shoot dynamite arrows out the back. Why did they weld the doors shut? At the movies, the Nerds got Revenge on the Alpha Betas by teaming up with the Omega Mus. I watched Indiana Jones save the Ark of the Covenant, and wondered what Yoda meant when he said, "No, there
    is another."

Ronald Reagan was cool. Gorbachev was the guy who built a McDonalds in Moscow. My family took summer vacations to the Gulf of Mexico and collected "Muppet Movie" glasses along the way. (We had the whole set.) My brother and I fought in the back seat. At the hotel, we found creative uses for Connect Four pieces like throwing them in that big air conditioning unit.

I listened to John COUGAR Mellencamp sing about Little Pink Houses for Jack and Diane. I was bewildered by Boy George and the colors of his dreams, red, gold, and green. MTV played videos. Nickelodeon played "You Can't Do That on Television" and "Dangermouse." Cor! HBO showed Mike Tyson pummel everybody except Robin Givens, the bad actress from "Head of the Class" who took all Mike's cash flow.

I drank Dr. Pepper. "I'm a Pepper, you're a Pepper, wouldn't you like to be a Pepper, too?" Shasta was for losers. TAB was a laboratory accident. Capri Sun was a social statement. Orange juice wasn't just for breakfast anymore, and bacon had to move over for something meatier.

My mom put a thousand Little Debbie Snack Cakes in my Charlie Brown lunch box and filled my Snoopy Thermos with grape Kool-Aid. I would never eat the snack cakes, though. Did anyone? I got two thousand cheese and cracker snack packs, and I ate those.

I went to school and had recess. I went to the same classes every day. Some weird guy from the eighth grade always won the science fair with the working hydroelectric plant that leaked on my project about music and plants. They just loved Beethoven.

Field day was bigger than Christmas, but it always managed to rain just enough to make everybody miserable before they fell over in the three-legged race. Where did all those pantyhose come from? "Deck the Halls with Gasoline, fa la la la la la la la la," was just a song. Burping was cool. Rubber band fights were cooler. A substitute teacher was a babysitter/marked woman. Nobody deserved that.

I went to Cub Scouts. I got my arrow-of-light, but never managed to win the Pinewood Derby. I got almost every skill award but don't remember ever doing anything.

The world stopped when the Challenger exploded.

Did a teacher come in and tell your class?

Half of your friends' parents got divorced.

People did not just say no to drugs.

AIDS started, but you knew more people who had a grandparent die from cancer.

Somebody in your school died before they graduated.

When you put all this stuff together, you have my childhood. If this stuff sounds familiar, then I bet you are one, too.

We are children of the eighties. That is what I prefer "they" call it.

You nearly just described my entire childhood to a T all the way down to hating Scrappy-doo & minus the cub scouts thing &a few variations. We must have been born about the same time.

The General Lee was a race car even though in all the episodes they only raced it in actual race a few times, the doors are welded shut because they gut the doors to save weight. Removing the glass, locking mechanism, window track, etc will cut about 50lbs off of the car total. It's an easy place to shave weight. Of course in an actual race car, all of he interior trim would have been removed too.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    _barefoot_ wrote: »
    Funny you never hear anyone ever say .... remember the 50's

I remember the 50's. Leave it to Beaver. Twilight Zone. I love Lucy. Wagon Train. Danny Thomas.
    Much simpler time. Real conversations. No texting, Tweeting or LOL ing. 60's were great too.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    My only memory of the 80's was sleeping and boob.

pr55dz5o7prw.png
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    y20orqru7tg1.png
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    7rj62rqle4xq.png
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    TheRoadDog wrote: »
    Funny you never hear anyone ever say .... remember the 50's

I remember the 50's. Leave it to Beaver. Twilight Zone. I love Lucy. Wagon Train. Danny Thomas.
    Much simpler time. Real conversations. No texting, Tweeting or LOL ing. 60's were great too.

Yeah ... but just think you would never be talking to people around the world in your living room .

I'm at work. I don't go on line at home.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Gunne Sax blouse and wings that took hours to do in the morning. Lots of White Rain hairspray!! (year 1983) 89lljd0jhfyi.jpg
  • midlomel1971
    edited October 2017
    Options
    mqtobtqncaqh.jpeg

1986?
    At my great grandma’s house.

We would have been best friends in middle/high school!
  • midlomel1971
    edited October 2017
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Gunne Sax blouse and wings that took hours to do in the morning. Lots of White Rain hairspray!! (year 1983) 89lljd0jhfyi.jpg

I miss the natural blondes of the 70s and earlier 80s. They weren't plentiful, but they were legit and I loved envying them :heart:

Very skillfully done wings by the way. I had a best friend in 7th/8th grade who looked a lot like you. Her hair was similarly styled and impeccable :smiley:

I miss that color! Now my hair is a nice dirty dishwater blonde, or what I lovingly refer to as "gronde" (gray+blonde) My 12 year old's hair is just like mine was in that picture (except perfectly straightened and glossy...these kids today and their youtube tutorials!) and I tell her to enjoy it while it lasts. *sigh*
  • QueenInTheNorthA
    QueenInTheNorthA Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Born 96' and most of these apply!!