Why is Healthy Eating So Expensive?

Options
12346»

Replies

• KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    CARBS ARE CHEAP But not JUNK

That's my biggest problem! I could afford tons and tons of carbs however it's not the best to eat pasta or rice or potatoes every single day and nothing else....

There are ways around healthy food being more expensive but sometimes you can't afford it. I have ONE grocery store in my town. I have no choice to but to buy from there. Sometimes I go to the city and will get groceries at Walmart if have time however I go to the city sometimes only once or twice a month and don't always have time to do grocery shopping.

However, next summer I'm hoping to have enough time to plant a garden and have plenty of veggies and then can them as well. Plus I can get chickens from my dad (who raises and butchers them himself) and my boyfriend raises pigs so we have meat (however we don't always have meat around).

My problem is I eat okay right now. I don't eat junk food, I never buy cookies, chips, candy, etc. But being able to buy lots of veggies and meat is not as affordable as it would be if all I ever ate was carb loaded stuff. For me it's not switching things, it's ADDING healthy things to my already mostly healthy diet.

ETA: a big problem is people always think of where they live. All the stuff listed on here with prices...where I live the prices are easily more, sometimes twice as much as what they said.

If anybody is finding it hard to buy healthy though, search cheap healthy eating or something and there are some threads that I've seen in the last few months that have some GREAT ways to save money from just making certain things (like yogurt which I have made for years now) to which foods are the cheapest but still healthy.
  • sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    CARBS ARE CHEAP But not JUNK

That's my biggest problem! I could afford tons and tons of carbs however it's not the best to eat pasta or rice or potatoes every single day and nothing else....

There are ways around healthy food being more expensive but sometimes you can't afford it. I have ONE grocery store in my town. I have no choice to but to buy from there. Sometimes I go to the city and will get groceries at Walmart if have time however I go to the city sometimes only once or twice a month and don't always have time to do grocery shopping.

However, next summer I'm hoping to have enough time to plant a garden and have plenty of veggies and then can them as well. Plus I can get chickens from my dad (who raises and butchers them himself) and my boyfriend raises pigs so we have meat (however we don't always have meat around).

My problem is I eat okay right now. I don't eat junk food, I never buy cookies, chips, candy, etc. But being able to buy lots of veggies and meat is not as affordable as it would be if all I ever ate was carb loaded stuff. For me it's not switching things, it's ADDING healthy things to my already mostly healthy diet.

ETA: a big problem is people always think of where they live. All the stuff listed on here with prices...where I live the prices are easily more, sometimes twice as much as what they said.

If anybody is finding it hard to buy healthy though, search cheap healthy eating or something and there are some threads that I've seen in the last few months that have some GREAT ways to save money from just making certain things (like yogurt which I have made for years now) to which foods are the cheapest but still healthy.

I know exactly what you're saying, and thanks for agreeing with me about the Carbs lol.

The other day I bought ONE tomato to have with my tuna and spinach on a cruskit.. one tomato.. it was two dollars something. tomatoes are currently $9 a kilo!!!! I couldn't believe it.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    It's not, if you know where to shop.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    processed foods are easier to mass produce hence you get high quants of them for cheaper....

High gas prices and inflation are also making food prices across the board higher...

Are you buying a lot of organic? If yes, I would recommend against doing that. A lot of studies out there are saying that organics are not better for you ...that being said I do by the free range chicken, meats etc...
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    I do not uderstand those reports.

I find if I stay away from prepared, processed, frozen and canned foods my food bills are lower. Stay around the perimater of your supermarket - dairy, meat, fish and produce - and I would expect it to cost less.

Agree with staying around the perimater of the supermarket. I shop for myself and my boyfriend so that means 2 different types of foods. He's skinny as a rail and he doesn't like healthy food. I stay in the perimater 95% of the time for myself.