30 Day Shred Starting 08/22/11

Options

Replies

• statia152
    statia152 Posts: 558
    Options
    Day 6 (level 1 today, LOL) in the books!
    Has anyone had any pain (not soreness, but pain, like a side stitch) in their lower abs (forget what these abs are called, the ones involved heavily when you lift your butt off the ground, well, anything when you are pulling your legs up)?? A few days ago I did something and it feels like a "pulled muscle". Yesterday when I was attempting level 2, all the plank stuff killed me because this area was screaming at me (not a good scream, a bad one). Today when I did level 1 again and did pushups (again, similar to plank holding abs in), it started hurting bad right away. I don't want to injure myself further so not sure what to do about this. I can do crunches and most of the other ab exercises without too much pain, but anything requiring reverse crunches or plank style stuff is not helping. :o/

I would absolutely avoid the "bad pain" and sub another move. Definitely do more stretching before and after. Give it a couple of days and try again. Good luck.
  • change_happens
    Options
    I am tired today.... I have a sore neck from the sit-ups on the 30 Day Shred. I think I will be taking today off, or maybe just trying to do a modified sit-up. My neck just can't take it!

Also, reading on other posts, on different sites, I am finding a lot of people don't do these exercises every single day for thirty days straight. I kind of believe that their way may be the right way. Doesn't every body builder say to exercise a body part and then give it a rest? So, why in the world am I doing shoulders and squats, every single day? Isn't this making my muscles smaller as opposed to making them more leaned and toned? Maybe I will make the 30 Day Shred a 60 Day Shred :)
  • enigma2546
    Options
    Anout to do day three of level one, not feeling any soreness today so hoping i can pull through, its tough but once i start seeing changes, i think my hate for jillian ( and cursing at the tv ) will lower :p
  • felicityksr
    felicityksr Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    change-happens, if your neck is sore you are using your neck to pull yourself up. When you do your sit-ups, keep your eyes on the ceiling and your fingers behind your ear so you are not inclined to pull yourself up with your neck. It really does help.

Keep it up! We didn't get like this overnight, so the change will have to take some time too. ;-)
  • jadam6
    jadam6 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Day 5 completed. I'm a bit disappointed as I bought a heart rate monitor yesterday to measure the amount of calories burnt and it's only 151 :noway: On the plus side, I think I can see my body looking a bit leaner so I'm determined to complete the whole 30 days.
    Have a great day everyone x
  • thistleandfi
    thistleandfi Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    L1D4 done. My calves did NOT want to cooperate through the first circuit of cardio, they were on fire like never before but by round 3 I was good to go. I've upped to my 5lb weights on some of the strength moves and the workouts are definitely getting easier, yay!

I was also finally able to get back to some HIIT for about 10 mins on the elliptical. Pretty sure I've lost circumference in a few places judging by a cpl items of clothing... def makes all the huffing and puffing worth it.

Happy Friday everyone :)
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Day 5 done! So......today I was off from work and I decided to go for it this morning to start my day. Definitely a workout that really gets me sweating. The problem is that I find myself wanting a bit more. So I did the L1 workout again this evening like I have the last 4 days. Still great. Still planning on trying out L2 on Monday. Headed in to this weekend, I think I will try the L1 twice in a row tomorrow and Sunday with a small break (probably a minute) in between. If I can't get through a second round, that will be fine, I just want to go for at least 30 minutes.

On another note, I did get a HRM, works great, but I have to figure out how to get the calorie counter working.

Someone's post above indicated an issue with the "man" push ups. Well, don't feel too bad because I am out of shape enough that I can only do the "man" push ups for the entire first set and mid way through the second set I have to switch to modified. On D1 I had to switch to modified on the first set. Oh, and I am a "man"! I say do what you can, then switch to modified. You'll most like improve as we progress the next 25 days. YOU GOT THIS!!

On another
  • enigma2546
    Options
    I feel good until i hear jillian say "jumping jacks..jump rope..jumping jacks..jump rope" i could just run away lol.
  • abouck
    abouck Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Day 5 done:)
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ok I need to catch up! I missed Wednesday because of a dentist appt that was after work and I got home too late to do it, and last night I was at the airport dropping off my husband. I feel so bad! I did it today though and will try to catch up on the weekend by doing 2 workouts each day.

I hate the jump rope! It really burns my calves!
  • delmeg10
    delmeg10 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I actually started 30 Day Shred on the 15th, so I'm going to join in. I'm on D12 L2 but I did Tae-Bo today instead of 30 Day Shred, so I'm going to hit it hard tomorrow and Sunday.
  • change_happens
    Options
    Day 5 completed. I'm a bit disappointed as I bought a heart rate monitor yesterday to measure the amount of calories burnt and it's only 151 :noway: On the plus side, I think I can see my body looking a bit leaner so I'm determined to complete the whole 30 days.
    Have a great day everyone x

This concerns me... this means that I could be over calcuating my calorie burn... interesting. I need a heart rate monitor.
  • change_happens
    Options
    I wasn't going to do 30 Day Shred because of the soreness in my neck and the whole idea of working the same muscle groups everyday. However, it is 30 days and if this is what it is going to take to push me through this plateau, then why not give it a shot. My neck is still a bit sore, but more calm than earlier today. I made sure that I followed Jillian's instructions on how to perform the exercises exactly. So, there you have it... I am not dead... so I must press on :) Besides, this is training for Insanity!

I completed Level 1 Day 4
  • Rachel1913
    Rachel1913 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Level 1 Day 5 completed last night, and my HRM said that I burned 238 calories in 27 minutes. And I was able to get through all the bicycle crunches for the first time!
  • jojospero
    jojospero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    L1D5 for me today. I gotta say that I HATE HATE HATE both types of lunges. If not for the weights involved in the side lunges, I'd be fine I think, but even using 3lb weights, my arms are just DEAD by the end. And the front lunges kill, too. But that's the point. The past few days have been a little rough just because I've been dealing with shin splints from running, but even five days in, I am still sweating through this workout. Oh, and I HATE pushups. Okay, I'm done complaining now!

On a positive note, I am seeing a difference. I feel crazy for saying that since it's only been five days, but I honestly think my stomach looks different. AND I broke down and weighed myself today (mostly because I felt crazy for looking in the mirror and thinking I'm seeing changes). In five days I've dropped almost 1.5 lbs! From now on I think I'm just going to weigh myself at the start of level 2 and level 3, but knowing that I am indeed going down makes me hate Jillian a little less.

Oh, am I the only one who sort of hates her motivational voice? She gets much breathier when she gives her little speech about working through the pain and it makes me want to hurt her. Hahaha. Also, I get mad when she says she wants Anita's abs, because GIRL YOU HAVE THEM.

I will say this. The abs routine for level 1 is a little... meh. I don't really feel all that much of a burn or anything when I'm doing it. I think it's because my own routine beforehand was much more intense (regular crunches, obliques, reverse crunches, leg lifts, 3 sets of 12 each). I mean, like I said I'm seeing results, so I can't complain, I just was really surprised by how low level it is compared to the rest of the routine.

Okay now I am really done complaining! Keep pushing, guys, this is such a great workout!
  • jojospero
    jojospero Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    L1D5 for me today. I gotta say that I HATE HATE HATE both types of lunges. If not for the weights involved in the side lunges, I'd be fine I think, but even using 3lb weights, my arms are just DEAD by the end. And the front lunges kill, too. But that's the point. The past few days have been a little rough just because I've been dealing with shin splints from running, but even five days in, I am still sweating through this workout. Oh, and I HATE pushups. Okay, I'm done complaining now!

On a positive note, I am seeing a difference. I feel crazy for saying that since it's only been five days, but I honestly think my stomach looks different. AND I broke down and weighed myself today (mostly because I felt crazy for looking in the mirror and thinking I'm seeing changes). In five days I've dropped almost 1.5 lbs! From now on I think I'm just going to weigh myself at the start of level 2 and level 3, but knowing that I am indeed going down makes me hate Jillian a little less.

Oh, am I the only one who sort of hates her motivational voice? She gets much breathier when she gives her little speech about working through the pain and it makes me want to hurt her. Hahaha. Also, I get mad when she says she wants Anita's abs, because GIRL YOU HAVE THEM.

I will say this. The abs routine for level 1 is a little... meh. I don't really feel all that much of a burn or anything when I'm doing it. I think it's because my own routine beforehand was much more intense (regular crunches, obliques, reverse crunches, leg lifts, 3 sets of 12 each). I mean, like I said I'm seeing results, so I can't complain, I just was really surprised by how low level it is compared to the rest of the routine.

Okay now I am really done complaining! Keep pushing, guys, this is such a great workout!

I don't think she does enough abs. I think it's too easy too! I think I'm going to do p90x ab workout also while doing the shred.
  • Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to have done day 6!! I can't remember the last time that I worked out 6 days straight and tomorrow will make it 7!!!

Had a bad day yesterday with eating and drinking but oh well life happens.

Today I burned 197 calories. Im really enjoying these morning workouts.

Happy shredding everyone!
  • enigma2546
    Options
    Day 4 complete, went quick , i think beause i was dying for it to finish so i didnt have todo it infront of my boyfriend ahha, but alot less cursing at dear old jillian :P
  • EPICSRT
    EPICSRT Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Day 6 done! Today I pushed hard to keep my heart rate up to 85% of max. According to the HRM (with chest strap) I was able to keep it up around 155 and supposedly burned 297 calories. Not sure how accurate that is, so I am still logging only Aerobic, General for 189.

I skipped the static stretching at the end, took a quick water break, removed the device from my chest (not real comfortable working out with it on) and decide to go at L1 another round only doing the cardio and abs. Figured I'd skip the weight training sections to avoid potential injury from pushing too hard. What a great workout! My stamina is definitely improving from D1.

L2 on Monday will probably change my attitude, given the reports from others who've already tried it. I shall remain positive!!
  • MrsRipdizzle
    MrsRipdizzle Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I'm taking a rest day today (did 6 days straight). I did some damage to my left transverse abdominal muscle a few days ago and pushing it isn't making it get any better. :o/ I think it's just a muscle strain but man, I'm aware of it every time I get up, twist, sit down, etc. My hamstrings are rock hard right now too (my husband is a massage therapist, yes, lucky me, LOL, and he was commenting on lots of things as he was rubbing things out last night and today). THE SHRED IS WORKING THOUGH!!! hahah!

I realllly want to do a day 7 today...and it's taking everything in me to just rest. I keep telling myself it's okay to rest...give my body and muscles a chance to catch up, build, and everything will go along as planned. I'm torn though because I plan to go at it again tomorrow...but as soon as I hit those pushups I'm gonna be in pain again. Am considering wall push-ups...but do they do ANY good? Is it worth it? And then to just continue doing regular crunches when they do the reverse and anything else that requires major use of transverse abs? What would you do?!! I don't want to make it worse...but I don't want to lose steam here either. I'm noticing changes...my friends and family are too...and I want to keep this momentum going!!