Please be honest.....

Options
If you saw a person who is overweight walking into a personal training or fitness theory course at your local gym, what would you think?

I am asking because a friend of mine has asked me to join her in taking this class. I am very interested in fitness and am trying my best to get into shape again. I just feel like everyone else in the class will be super fit and I am going to stick out like a sore thumb.....I dont want to feel embarressed. A part of me wants to wait until I am in better shape to take the course.

You thoughts are welcome....

Replies

• kallibrae
    kallibrae Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would feel the same as you do now. To be honest, I myself would wait. I know how awkward situations like that could be and I try to avoid them at all costs. Just being honest. :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Who cares? If you could learn more about what you need to do for YOURSELF, then great! I think it's a great opportunity. I REALLY wanted to take the class to be a PT when it came up a few months ago but I didn't have the money for the class. That's the only reason I didn't do it.

One of the trainers at my gym is a muscular guy but he still has a bit of weight to lose and nobody respects him any less. I bet you your workouts would be so much better once you have more knowledge about how to go about your weight loss. Do it.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd assume that you were keen to get fitter yourself and wanted to get more education.

I think it's a good thing and that you would be mad to miss this opportunity of going along with a supportive friend. Much better than going alone later on when you are "thin enough".
  • lossfornunn
    Options
    I would honestly think "good for them for wanting to get healthy!" We all need to start some where. I totally encourage you to do it!! You totally can!!! :)
  • chubbycheeks88
    Options
    i say go and take the class. walk in there with your head up and some pride. you are beautiful. why let something like this get in the way of your happiness. do these ppl have to walk in your shoes? NO, so why let them dictate/undermine/control your life? You will be glad you did... why look at life as 'why didn't i.. and what if's"
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't even notice you. :smile: And if I did, I'd think, "always good to see people getting healthy."
  • Serpymatt
    Serpymatt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Number one, don't worry about what other people think - are they going to get healthy for you? No.

Second, if you want to wait until you're in better shape, how does that really help? The sooner you get started with being serious, the better.

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, but the best thing to do is to start and realize it is your health - who cares what other people think.

If you are worried about what other people think, look at it this way. If someone sees an overweight person walk into a fast food joint, they may think negatively; if they see an overweight person walk into a fitness place, I think they will think that someone is trying to get their life in order.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Personally I would be happy to see an overweight person go into a trianing office. And personally, I have felt like the big/least fit person in a workout class! But I say own it. Own your chubby body, walk in that gym saying "This is me, the only body I have and I NEED to be here.!" Then, sweat it out, get better each time and work your way to blend in with the crowd. YOU ARE NOT guaranteed tomorrow!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    If you saw a person who is overweight walking into a personal training or fitness theory course at your local gym, what would you think?

I am asking because a friend of mine has asked me to join her in taking this class. I am very interested in fitness and am trying my best to get into shape again. I just feel like everyone else in the class will be super fit and I am going to stick out like a sore thumb.....I dont want to feel embarressed. A part of me wants to wait until I am in better shape to take the course.

I'd think you were serious. It's not uncommon to see fit people in there, but I've seen many who couldn't grasp the concepts and drop out. Just cause you look fit, doesn't always mean you could instruct and teach it well. Your biggest obstacle won't be the class. It will be getting people to believe you have credibility.
  • Chastityx
    Chastityx Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Do it, it will be more knowledge for you in order to get to where you're going. I would think you were there for the info like every one else.
  • FaithsVegWorkout
    Options
    Personally, I absolutely abhor group exercise. I always feel bad about myself while doing it-I can't keep up, I'm not as thing, I'm uncoordinated-you name it. I know these are my issues, but I also know it's not my cup of tea, so I avoid them.

It might be worth trying it out and seeing what you think before you write it off entirely though.

Edit-I misread your post. It's a classroom? Duh, take the class!!!
  • fitmommy2012
    fitmommy2012 Posts: 451 Member
    Options

You know what ? I just took my first all womens fitness class last Saturday and I was thinking the EXACT same thing!! But you know what, when I got in there, it was a BLAST and I burned SO many calories and guess what ? There were MANY different kinds of women in the classes...some a LOT bigger than me, some my size and some a LOT smaller than me, but guess what, we were ALL there for pretty much the same reason...and it felt good to workout like that! I am looking forward to doing it again!

If you want to get healthy, dont let fear or stupid people get in your way! I say GOOD FOR YOU!! :bigsmile: Do whats best for you and walk in their with an attitude of confidence and pretty soon your body will show on the outside what has been on the inside all along!!:wink:
  • KareyMarie
    KareyMarie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I would HONESTLY think, "Awesome - good for them!"

I think we put a lot more stock in what we *think* other people are thinking about us. They probably aren't even thinking anything! And if they are? Who cares. You're not doing it for them, you're doing it for you! If they do think negative thoughts then that's on them, and apparently they need more to do with their time. ;)

You should go for it (especially since you have a friend to go with - tha'ts great!).
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm always super excited for them. Knowing the first step is the hardest (from experience) and being aware that they have taken it, is great! Join the class and be proud that your taking control of your health and fitness.
  • beccau_20
    beccau_20 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So, I have a friend, who I guess you could consider to be overweight and she has actually gotten her certifications. Consequently, she's also lost a bunch of weight, I think becoming aware has helped her. Also, I actually work out with a certified personal trainer who went through the process of losing a LOT of weight. I love working out with him because, IMO, he gets it... and he undertsnads my struggles, whereas the other PTs at the gym never have had that struggle and I don't think they know the up's and down's that comes with it.

I think you're good... go for it!
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I would think "Hooray for them!"

That is, if I bothered to care at all.

Generally when people are at a gym, they're there to focus on their own workouts, not someone else's.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Do it! You will learn so much. When I see people that are not in good shape at the gym or in classes, I am so pleased for them. They are taking steps to make themselves healthier. So, definitely don't feel self conciouse.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'd assume that you were keen to get fitter yourself and wanted to get more education.

I think it's a good thing and that you would be mad to miss this opportunity of going along with a supportive friend. Much better than going alone later on when you are "thin enough".

I agree 100%
  • Gypsy_MerMom
    Gypsy_MerMom Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    to be honest and like most already said who cares take the course it may even help u learn something just do it your taking the class for urself not anyone else and so are the other people so don't worry about it just do it :)
  • kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Personally, I don't want a personal trainer who HASN'T been through every single step that I have been through. Who DOESN'T know what it's like to be fat and sick of it. Who knows how hard it is, but has done it, and now helps others to do it.

And what better place to learn the skills that you need than an actual course. No bull***t, just facts and advice.

I'd be scared going in to the class, but I'd feel so much more confident coming out knowing that I'm equipped with the skills and knowledge to make me a better me. Go for it!!