Please be honest.....

Options

Replies

• gabrielleshannonhatt
    Options
    it wouldn't matter. it's not like anyone can say anything. you're there to get fit and healthy.

i have the same problem. i hate going to the gym when there are people there, but then i realize that most of us are there for the same reason so i should just suck it up. :)
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I would be impressed with that person who had enough guts to show up and do what they have to do to better themselves. Who eff'n cares what anyone else thinks? Besides, you will find that in most gyms there are people of every shape and size. SO...what are you waiting for?
  • CeejayGee
    CeejayGee Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    If you saw a person who is overweight walking into a personal training or fitness theory course at your local gym, what would you think?
    I am asking because a friend of mine has asked me to join her in taking this class. I am very interested in fitness and am trying my best to get into shape again. I just feel like everyone else in the class will be super fit and I am going to stick out like a sore thumb.....I dont want to feel embarressed. A part of me wants to wait until I am in better shape to take the course.

Honestly, I used to feel the SAME way as you. Then one time, I just forced myself to go to this ridiculously hot yoga class (never having even taken yoga before!) It was crazy hard and every single person there was a bean pole and there I was - HUGE in comparison. But, I did it. And no one even noticed!

Now I go to various classes at the gym...yoga, pilates, step aerobics. Often I *am* still the heaviest in the class, but often there's also a few other heavy people. And, sometimes, even though I'm the heaviest, that doesn't mean that I am the most ouf of shape, the least coordinated, or the least flexible!

I'm sure there will be an occasional d-bag who notices or whatever, but those people are judging you out on the streets too. MOST people won't notice, won't care, or will be supportive.
  • seriousaboutlife
    seriousaboutlife Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I look at it this way.... it really doesn't make a difference what they think of me today... cause this time next year... I'll be a whole new me!!!
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I would think to myself that I hope that person would stick to it and admire them for wanting to make a positve change in their life. Any one who would shun you for your appearance is no one you need to be concerned with. If they are that shallow, you should not give a second thought to what they think. I hope you go to the class with your head held high. You should be very proud of yourself for trying to make a positive change in your life. Every one on this site knows how tough it can be.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Number one, don't worry about what other people think - are they going to get healthy for you? No.

Second, if you want to wait until you're in better shape, how does that really help? The sooner you get started with being serious, the better.

I hope this doesn't come across as harsh, but the best thing to do is to start and realize it is your health - who cares what other people think.

If you are worried about what other people think, look at it this way. If someone sees an overweight person walk into a fast food joint, they may think negatively; if they see an overweight person walk into a fitness place, I think they will think that someone is trying to get their life in order.

^What he said!

Honestly, who cares what other people think, you should be doing this for YOU, not them!

And why wait? If it fits into your schedule, finances are not an issue, etc then take the opportunity now!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    "Good for them".

Seriously. I watched a guy at my old gym go from 400+ pounds to less than 200 over the course of about a year. It was amazing.
  • Debs1971
    Debs1971 Posts: 41
    Options
    Your doing this for you, not for anyone else! Who cares what people that you dont even know think anyway, but to be honest they are probably thinking 'good on you - go for it!'

I started doing zumba a year ago and was the fattest unfitttest one in the class, i struggled to keep up... but i loved it and kept going! Now i go and im one of the fittest there !!

About 6 months ago a couple of new faces appeared in our class, they were young girls who had some serious pounds to lose, they have stuck with it, they are always up the front... now i watch them to keep in time! They have lost huge amounts of weight and are inspirational, everybody was really impressed that they were making an effort and even more impressed at the results! They wouldnt have lost all this weight sat at home on the sofa thinking 'when im thinner i will go to zumba'!!

Go for it!!! :smile:
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    That's like asking how we feel if we see sick people going to the doctor...that's where they should be. Way to go! It's not a bad thing to go outside your comfort zone.
  • MsKeelah919
    MsKeelah919 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I'd think they are on the right track! And I'd commend them from within. Take it. Furthering YOUR knowledge is whats most important. This class may help you get to where you want to be!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would honestly think "good for them for wanting to get healthy!"

Me too! Most people in that kind of environment are there for their health and will champion others who are trying to improve themselves.
  • FollowThatUnicorn
    FollowThatUnicorn Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't really think anything of it. But I have the same fear of going to the gym. I went to one briefly where everyone working out was thin and hot. I was so embarrased :( Now the one I go to has all sorts of people in all ages and sizes. There are even families there with moms, dads & kids. I still feel self conscious but I try my best to block it.
  • 1goodymom67
    Options
    Seriously, if I saw someone doing that I would like thumbs up!! WTG!!! That is what I am thinking. You have to start somewhere. Everyone has to take the first step.
  • jorgetrimboli
    Options
    A personal trainer is for train untrained people about exercising.
    You don't need other people's acceptance.
    If some Mr. Atlas or Miss Muscles mock you, they need psychologic help. Take the classes asap buddy!
  • nikip6454
    Options
    I say go

And to be honest I applaud over weight people that are in fitness/health related courses and gyms and any other place that shows they are being healthy. I judge (okay I don't judge but I do notice) when super over weight people are eating huge ice cream cones/McDonalds/huge bags of Cheetos. I would never give a look or comment or anything, to each her own and I don't live in their shoes.

I think you would enjoy it--if you get a look, screw them!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would think it's great. That's what gyms are for. But if you are uncomfortable then maybe you should try working out at home or outside until you are more comfortable. I really think being comfortable and find exercise that is fun is very important. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • MarshallLuke
    MarshallLuke Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Please don't let other people's perceived judgment of yourself prevent you from going to the gym. Who cares what they think? All that matters is that you are getting healthier!
    That being said, here is what I think at the gym... "Am I going faster than the person next to me on the treadmill? Yes! Wheeee... I'm winning!" I don't judge the person next to me, I just pretend we are racing. It helps me push myself (especially if the person next to me is fast). However, I often lose at my imaginary "Let's see who can lift more" game, because I am not a bodybuilder. But once again, I enjoy having a goal to set myself. :laugh:
    So, yeah, you are there for yourself and your own reasons for pushing yourself (whether it is losing weight, strength training or even imaginary racing). So don't be bothered by other people. Besides, once I have walked out of the gym, I can't remember a single person I saw there. I only remember what I did that day!
  • moPOETRYtion
    Options
    I would honestly think "good for them for wanting to get healthy!" We all need to start some where. I totally encourage you to do it!! You totally can!!! :)

This exactly!!
  • possummama
    possummama Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Most people will be happy for you and admire your desire to become fit. The rest of them? Well, they just don't matter and aren't even worth your thoughts.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I would honestly think "good for them for wanting to get healthy!" We all need to start some where. I totally encourage you to do it!! You totally can!!! :)

Yeah, that!! When I see a newbie at my gym who is just starting out and has a LONG way to go, I always hope they'll stick with it so I can watch them have an amazing transformation!