Your take on subway.

Options
I noticed that a lot of people think that they eat healthy because they ate at subway. you can easily make your sub as unhealthy as a fast food cheeseburger at subway. Personally I like to eat here because it is filling and low on calories. What is your take on it? Do you think that it is healthy? Please, you opinion would be a help to my choices and goals.

Also, I use this tool to put in all the nutrional info and to build my lunch.
http://www.subway.com/Menu/MenuCategoryItems.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuTypeId=1&MenuId=35

Replies

• Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I think it is healthy depending on what you are eating there. I usually get a 6" wheat with provologne and turkey. I only put veggies and mustard on mine. I think that's about 280 calories... don't quote me on that but it is also filling. :)
  • cibolodave
    Options
    I like subway. i like that it is very low in calories if you choose the right one.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    My take on subway: Really crappy sandwich shop chain that ran a very effective Jared marketing campaign.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    It's ok but not great. The meat is pretty high in sodium.
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    i love it! its REALLY REALLY filling along with a diet coke as well and so yummy :)
    its just you got to watch the calorie content including bread :)
    LOVE SUBWAY!
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I get double meat on the 6 inch, no cheese, mayo, or sauces loaded with fat or sugar.

That being said, I get Subway maybe twice a year. It's a last resort for me.
  • juleseybaby
    juleseybaby Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Turkey on wheat with mustard and all the veggies - YUMMO
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Many of their 6" sub options are healthy as far as calories. But all of the sandwiches have 1000 mg or more of sodium. So unless you are willing to drink a lot of water on the days you eat Subway, I'd caution to not make it a regular place to eat.
  • Lindz2323
    Lindz2323 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love Subway! I always choose one of the healthier subs from the 6grams of fat or less section and watch what all I put on it so I dont get too high in calories, sodium, etc.
  • Izable2011
    Izable2011 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Turkey on wheat with mustard and all the veggies - YUMMO

Same here!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's 'healthy' - it's bread & processed meat and cheese is just milk fat BUT it is healthier than some other fast food IF you put veggies on it & skip the fat laden dressings - however, some subway footlong sandwiches are 800 calories and more
    be vigilant
  • idiocracy
    idiocracy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I like black forest ham. i split a 12'' in lunch and dinner. i eat there rarely, but after i do, i don't feel as guilty as if i were eating a mcmeal :bigsmile:
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    My take on subway: Really crappy sandwich shop chain that ran a very effective Jared marketing campaign.

By the MILLIONS in fact. Pretty sad actually.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    i think it can be healthy! but their food has a lot of sodium depending on what you get. i like the turkey with no mayo and all the veggies! :) mmmm. if you eat there just get a 6 inch on healthy bread and baked chips with diet soda or unsweetened tea. i tend to only eat there when i feel like eating my fair share of bread! LOL :D
  • dez_yaoichan
    Options
    i just like the taste. it may not be "healthy" but it is "healthier" then food i was eating 3 months ago. and really, i do better with small changes, so maybe i will cut out subway one day. but for now i'll take "healthier" over a big mac any day, lol!
  • annaasun
    annaasun Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Many of their 6" sub options are healthy as far as calories. But all of the sandwiches have 1000 mg or more of sodium. So unless you are willing to drink a lot of water on the days you eat Subway, I'd caution to not make it a regular place to eat.
    I drink tons of water any way. At least 18 cups. But people say that subway isnt good. I usually dont get the processed meats. Just the Buffalo/teri/reg chicken. but its still a lot of sodium. I feel that it is a healthier choice than a lot of other places.
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I think it's much better than McDonald's. I don't go to Subway as much now because of the price, however, if I need something quick and healthy, then I go there. There are very few choices where I live. Safeway has good sandwiches but they are terribly slow, sushi is good too if there's any left, that's about it, if you don't want burgers in my neighborhood.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Until they drop the sodium to a normal level, I won't eat there. 1,500 mg a day is the target for most adults (not 2,500) and one 6" sub can approach that number.

I have enough trouble keeping it to 2,500 or less, without the Subway add-on
  • joeygirl84
    joeygirl84 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I like Subway, but it's really easy to totally blow the sodium out of the water... Sometimes I get a veggie and just ad dmy own chicken breast, the turkey is just so high in salt.
  • misssiri
    misssiri Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    OK in a pinch and not so good when eaten for lunch on a Thursday when there was not excuse not bring food from home except pure laziness. That would be me today. It was not worth it