Your take on subway.

Options

Replies

• runbikebreathe
    Options
    Subway is the only "fast food" place I eat from, but that isn't saying much as I rarely eat out :tongue: It's definitely one of the healthier choices out there, but you still have to watch what you get there. I usually get a 6" veggie or oven roasted chicken breast. However, the sodium in Subway is off the charts; it's almost unavoidable because the bread is what packs a lot of the salt.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    High sodium, heavily processed, and part of the health-haloing affect plaguing the US.

If there is no other option, I'll eat it. It's probably the least unhealthy fast food option in some places. But I don't pretend that just because I can order a sandwich that's low calorie, it's healthy.

*effect
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I went to sub way ( with my normal eating habits as before) thinking that "hey at least I’m not going to a fast food place". I sat down and managed to eat a whole foot long tuna fish sandwich. I got home and added into my daily food diary and found out that I just scarfed down a 960 calorie meal!!!!! Lesson learned "Think before you eat!"
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Having worked at a subway, I don't eat there.
    Still can't get over how long some of those ingredients are allowed to sit out before they are considered bad.
    However, it was five years ago in a college town, so maybe not all are like that. Just can't get over the gag effect.

Love, love, love, love, love Jimmy Johns! Just make sure to ask for the mayo on the side, they sure do like to lay it on thick.

Mmmmmm, Jimmy Johns!
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I went to sub way ( with my normal eating habits as before) thinking that "hey at least I’m not going to a fast food place". I sat down and managed to eat a whole foot long tuna fish sandwich. I got home and added into my daily food diary and found out that I just scarfed down a 960 calorie meal!!!!! Lesson learned "Think before you eat!"

Yes, when something is basted completely in mayo...it's going to be real bad. Tuna fish is always a bad choice.
  • Britt2Fitjrny
    Britt2Fitjrny Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    The smell of Subway "restaurants" makes me sick.

The smell of subway "restaurants" makes me HUNGRY! Gotta love the smell of bread! :tongue:
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I only get the veggie with sweet onion dessing and shredded cheese, I bet even that has perservatives on it. The chicken there is made just like a chicken nugget at a fast food place, died and chemial treated.

I rather go and get a ton of veggies then a burger made of strange cow bits, but it is wong for people to think no matter what they get there it is heathly.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Having worked at a subway, I don't eat there.
    Still can't get over how long some of those ingredients are allowed to sit out before they are considered bad.
    However, it was five years ago in a college town, so maybe not all are like that. Just can't get over the gag effect.

Hold times on food is a health regulation thing, it's not a Subway thing. Most foods can sit out at room temperature for about 4 hours before they are considered contaminated. Foods with higher sodium contents can sit out longer. And if the sandwich line is refrigerated, then there usually isn't a limit, as long as it maintains proper temperature.
  • imjustlisa
    imjustlisa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My opinion is it's a horrible choice. Pack your own lunch. the meat is full of cereals, fillers, artificial colors, and nitrites. I pack a cooler daily of all my foods for the day. if I feel like having a sandwich i would use whole wheat bread and Boar's head meats, cheeses, and fresh toppings. Ask to see the ingredients of their lunchmeats...you will be surprised.
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I fantasize about Jared.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Great point.
    Everything is what you make it.
    If you go to McD's or BK and have just one plain burger you are doing OK. If you order a triple baconator, not so much.
  • benodie
    benodie Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE subway . .its the only 'fast food' I eat, and the only fast food I will allow my kids to eat. I think if you make right choices, then its a healthy lunch (in my opinion) . .I always have chicken tikka on honey oat with all the veg and sweet onion sauce . .infact me and my kids had it for lunch today and it was LUSH!! Its gotta be better than mcdonalds (yuk) surely?!! :)
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I personally LOVE subway . .its the only 'fast food' I eat, and the only fast food I will allow my kids to eat. I think if you make right choices, then its a healthy lunch (in my opinion) . .I always have chicken tikka on honey oat with all the veg and sweet onion sauce . .infact me and my kids had it for lunch today and it was LUSH!! Its gotta be better than mcdonalds (yuk) surely?!! :)

Nope, not really, they bread has the same stuff in it and the meats are just scrapings mushed together from the butchers floor. The "chicken breast" is just a large unbreaded chicken nugget. Yes you can get more veggies on request but the meat is just the same as it would be at anyother fast food place.
  • Coliepie717
    Options
    I enjoy eating at Subway. However even when you are being good, its really not that good! ANd when they give you a hard time about the veggies you want on your sandwich that really erks me.....so I limit my visits! I went the other day and got swiss and veggies w/the onino sauce and it was like 700 cals. Not worth it for me
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Used to eat there..........................till they took the seafood salad away.
  • Kate6868
    Kate6868 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I like Subway on occasion. I normally get a veggie salad with no cheese or dressing, but with avocado added.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a subway, but it never occurred to me before MFP that it was billing itself as a healthy choice. It's still sandwiches. You can get them anywhere.
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    Why not make your own sandwhich? Instead of paying someone else to do it for you.... Im just sayin. I've gotten pretty creative with wraps and other sammy fixins :) when you make it yourself you can control how much of what you put on it too.... with that being said Im sure Ill get a bunch of people b*tchin at me and makin excuses for not making their own damn sandwich so let the fun begin :)
  • valbar61
    valbar61 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like to eat Subway but only once a week or every other week. I usually get the Roast Beef because it is the lowest in sodium.
    Roast beef on wheet no cheese, lots of veggies and only mustard. Not to bad on cals/sodium and is filling.
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Subway. But I have learned a healthier way of proportioning my visits. Just today I had a 6" oven roasted chicken breast on 9 grain wheat, no cheese, lettuce, tomato, onion, extra olives, banana peppers, pepper, mustard, and 'lite' mayo. Great lunch at just about 400 calories. I could EASILY manage a footlong like this for dinner in a day some other time as well. Subway is, to me, an amazing alternative. :)