Your take on subway.

Options

Replies

• AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    While the calories can add up ... I think it a lower impact solution for when you are out and about. If you go to a burger joint, you will be far more tempted and may have a trigger to get fries and other items ... while at Subway it would be pretty difficult to get that high in calories and fat. Although, from what I see some of their newer subs seem to be creeping towards higher calories and more fat.
  • AmerTunsi
    AmerTunsi Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    While the calories can add up ... I think it a lower impact solution for when you are out and about. If you go to a burger joint, you will be far more tempted and may have a trigger to get fries and other items ... while at Subway it would be pretty difficult to get that high in calories and fat. Although, from what I see some of their newer subs seem to be creeping towards higher calories and more fat.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I like it. I usually end up gettin the Turkey on Wheat with mozzarella cheese and for veggies I do lettuce, tomato, onion, bell peppers a couple of jalapeños and oregano (sometimes light mayo).

I think people ruin in the minute they add all the dressings. Of course the meatball sub is loaded with sodium and the tuna sub is loaded with calories.
  • sarahpittaway
    Options
    I hate subway. See it has an unhealthy option cause you do not truly know what is in the bread and decide really your portion size as the people behind the counter never listen when you say that is too much! I would make my own as I do not use butter, mayo anymore and only eat brown wheat bread and only use peppers , lettuce , tomatoes , spring onion or cucumber . Never meat!
  • myfriendamy
    myfriendamy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I like it :) for me, it's a healthier option when eating out. I wouldn't eat there every day, but I'd rather take my 400ish calories for a whole meal there, than 500calories (or more!) for a burger across the street :)
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    My take on subway: Really crappy sandwich shop chain that ran a very effective Jared marketing campaign.

What he said.
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you order, but I think it is a great option and have no trouble losing weight even if I'm eating subway regularly. I skip the cheese and usually any dressing too -- opting instead for salt&pepper and oregano. Sometimes I'll use the sweet onion sauce. But I definately think they are a GREAT alternative to other fast food/restaraunt options.
  • bluevwgurl
    bluevwgurl Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    i dont eat the ham at subway EVER. my cousin works at the processing plant that supplies ham to subways distributor . do.not.eat.the.ham.
    then again, if we had insider knowledge of everyplace that produces food, we probably would only eat what we grow!
    still i wont eat it.

veggie sub is good but their bread is a bit thick i think. (which is funny because i used to love it!) now its too much bread in each bite for me
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Many of their 6" sub options are healthy as far as calories. But all of the sandwiches have 1000 mg or more of sodium. So unless you are willing to drink a lot of water on the days you eat Subway, I'd caution to not make it a regular place to eat.
    I drink tons of water any way. At least 18 cups. But people say that subway isnt good. I usually dont get the processed meats. Just the Buffalo/teri/reg chicken. but its still a lot of sodium. I feel that it is a healthier choice than a lot of other places.

The chicken is just as processed as the rest of it, assuming you meant it wasn't and that's why you get it? All you have to do is take one look at their so called chicken breast....it doesn't appear real whatsoever. It's completely pressed together parts.
  • squeak1989
    Options
    Personally I'm a fan but just because otherwise it is near impossible to eat vegan on the go, especially when you don't know the town. I find it a reliable place to grab a quick vegan meal if I'm out and about and can't get home. So a 6 inch sandwich with salad and sweet onion sauce is what I have and it probably sets me back under 250cals, but if I wasn't vegan then I do agree how quickly it would be to go unhealthy, especially as I've seen my brother eat a 12inch sub as part of a meal deal.
  • killagb
    Options
    Depends on what you order, but I think it is a great option and have no trouble losing weight even if I'm eating subway regularly. I skip the cheese and usually any dressing too -- opting instead for salt&pepper and oregano. Sometimes I'll use the sweet onion sauce. But I definately think they are a GREAT alternative to other fast food/restaraunt options.

You can lose weight eating McDonald's providing you still have a calorie deficit....now are you going to be healthy? No. Same thing with Subway.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    High sodium, heavily processed, and part of the health-haloing affect plaguing the US.

If there is no other option, I'll eat it. It's probably the least unhealthy fast food option in some places. But I don't pretend that just because I can order a sandwich that's low calorie, it's healthy.
  • tcdawley78
    tcdawley78 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I go there about once a week or so, but I get a 6" veggie sub on honey oat w/ all the veggies and vinegar instead of mayo/dressing... Skip the chips and soda, and you've got a very filling lunch under 300 calories!! :-)
  • bouche05
    bouche05 Posts: 13
    Options
    Love subway! But many hidden calories. Don't go by the calories in myfitpal...go to subway website and build your sandwich to get the TRUE calories of your sandwich complete with condiments. I was eating subway regularly then got the real calories made some adjustments and went from losing 3-4lbs a week to 9lbs weeks in row.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I find it a reasonable choice when I'm out with friends at a shopping mall, and there's a food court where they can get burgers and fries, and I'll choose a sub, but we all eat together.

You do have to make good choices though, not EVERYTHING from Subway is healthy! I usually have a 6" wheat turkey and ham, salad, black olives, sweet onion dressing. Around 300 cals, I dont worry too much about sodium, and I only have one a couple of times a month.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I make a way better sandwich at home.
  • killagb
    Options
    I make a way better sandwich at home.

If you can't....that's sad.
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Subway is horrible for me. (Because I always get something naughty. But the meatballs are soooo gooddddd! *crycry* )
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    **replied to the wrong post. Ignore this.
  • annaasun
    annaasun Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    thanks your for your input. i like subway. but i know that its unhealthy in a lot of aspects, espcially if you make the wrong choices. but i think subway is a healthier choice than most. as i think about it, i notice that not many places you can go to where they actually inform you about the nutrional facts (whether they are healthy or unhealthy).

If you could, please name some alternatives besides a home meal.