How often do you eat fast food?

Options
I just wanted to know how many people here do, and how many times a month/year is it OK
to eat fast food? My friend and her family usually go to mcdonalds, and panda express, and burger king
ALOT throughout the week, and i dont understand why when they have so much to eat already at home
(theyre a big family 4 kids, 2 adults, and outta the 4 kids, the 3 girls are overweight)
I was just wondering ( since im a little overweight myself), how often is it OK to eat fast food especcially since
i work alot in the evenings, and sometimes it seems quicker and easier to pick something up on the way home.
Im trying to cut out the habit, but i just wanted to know if i should cut it out entirely? =/

Replies

• smallerthighs
    Options
    Maybe once a month.....I love to cook.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    It's not great for you, but occasionally isn't going to kill you. Just try to make sure you fit it into your calories and you'll be fine.
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    NEVER.

Okay I lied. I occasionally indulge in McDonald's chicken nuggets. Nom nom nom. But, I try not to any more than once every few months if that. Just a personal choice though.
  • Rhodygarden
    Options
    I generally don't go. I like the food I make at home.
  • peejie
    peejie Posts: 43
    Options
    I probably eat fast food about 1-3 times a month and that is only if I am on a road trip. When I do eat fast food, it is usually one bean burrito from Taco Bell, a hamburger with only ketchup from McDonald's, sometimes a small fry, or a 6 inch turkey sub with no cheese from Subway. It kills my digestive system the next day, too. I never eat fried food outside of these trips.

I don't think nutritionists recommend eating fast food at all, actually. Maybe once a month is okay, if you make a smart choice? I think as long as you watch the sodium, fat, and sugar you can squeeze it in every now and then.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Never, I don't eat it. If I eat out it is at the local pub or cafe or restaurant but I don't go to chain fast food places.
    But, this is me and that's how my lifestyle works.

If you really like to eat that stuff and see it as a treat, then I don't think it hurts to have it every now and again - I'm from the school of moderation, though lots of people will disagree. But, if you don't really like it anyway and only eat it because it's convenient, then I think you would be better to put some energy into planning meals or snacks that are quick and easy to grab.
    Your body will thank you (for the better nutrition) and your wallet will appreciate it too (that stuff might be cheap, but you aren't getting any actual nutrition for your money so really it's just a waste).

Regarding your friend - well she just has to decide that for herself. If her kids are overweight then that is something that she should deal with, but fast food is usually just one factor in the whole bigger picture.

Personally, I think the right amount of times to eat fast food is never, but then I don't like it. I have my own "treats" that aren't good for me (chocolate, cake, alcohol), but I work them into my calorie allowance and it hasn't stopped me losing weight.
  • peacestar84
    Options
    I have a fast food meal about once every two weeks, but I always ensure I am still eating within my calorie range.
  • thatgeekinit
    thatgeekinit Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't eat McDonalds, Burger King, Taco Bell, KFC or Chipotle at all. Maybe 3-4 times a year I am in a rush or a road trip and get Wendy's. If you really need fast food, Subway is pretty much the only decent choice. I eat out, but I avoid the American grill style fast food places. You can eat it, but its very high calorie, high salt, and has a lot of chemicals and flavor enhancers that are not very good for you.

I eat plenty of heavy food, I just prefer to get it at a decent restaurant. It's not as though McDonalds is that cheap anymore. When the cheeseburgers were 69 cents, I could understand it. I think the last time I was at a McDonalds, it was costing people $7 to eat there and for that you can go to the grocery store or a sandwich shop and get better quality food at a lower calorie density with less salt.
  • mampm1
    mampm1 Posts: 88
    Options
    Almost never. I love to cook and find that it doesn't take all that much more time. If that's the case, prepare some meals for the week and don't forget the vegetables! There are plenty of recipes you can find on the web that will turn you into a culinary master.

Also, fast food has too much fat, too much salt, too much carbs, all of which you can control better when you D.I.Y.
  • ♥xenawarriorprincess♥
    Options
    I always remember the addage (spelling) Everything in moderation...nothing should be off limits unless it is illegal or something that is harmful to your body...

I find that if I don't allow myself to eat fast food once in a great while I will over indulge...that being said I try to eat 80-90%% healthy non processed foods and let the rest fall where it may...I also exercise 60 minutes 6x a week, and that helps

As far as how often you should or should not eat fast food...well no one can tell you that, it's something you have to decide for yourself sweetie...

One more thing, when you do eat fast food do you make it the healthier of the choices or do you just go for the more fatty foods?
    A lot of fast food chains have a healthy menu.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I usually eat fast food every two or three weeks. i try to get healthy stuff though, low carb burger or turkey burger with side salad. or taco bells healthy mex stuff...ocasionally i do get the bad things like on Friday night YIKES!
  • jillrules169
    jillrules169 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    yah i see what you mean. I usually grab mcdonalds when im STARVING, and since its like SERIOUSLY 2 minutes away from me by car, ( with jack and the box and taco bell 3 minutes away also.) ill go ahead and order something medium like a meal.
    i dont really like mcdonalds though. it seems disgusting. =/ when i unwrap the burger, it just looks SO GROSS. at least here it does. i dont understand it lol, but when youre hungry, anything taste really good at the moment.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Cut it back to the point that it's a "treat" when you go as opposed to a regular option for meals.

It doesn't take much when you're cooking anyway to cook extra, ie making a chicken breast (I bake mine) the oven is on anyway so I'll do 3 or 4 breasts up at the same time and maybe prepare a pan of fish to go in when the chicken is nearly done. Boiling eggs the water is hot anyway so don't boil 1 or 2, boil a half dozen or more if your pot has room! Cook extra when you're cooking anyway, then it's just as convenient to pull something from your own fridge to eat.
  • DaveShoreshe
    Options
    If you're serious about weight loss you should cut it out altogether. But to Merril's point, if you need to, it's ok as long as it's within your calories. The problem is not only the nutritional value, but the high sodium content of fast food. I'm not saying to deprive yourself, but it is so much healthier to cook for yourself.
    Personally, I miss fast food as much as the next person, but my personal goals of weight loss supercede a Big Mac anyday!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Maybe once a month if that. It usually because I am craving Wendy''s chili. I made a big pot of chili and froze about 10 quart bags about 1/2 full so I now I will just eat chili at home.
  • jillrules169
    jillrules169 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i usually ... um get a large drink, because im ALWAYS thirsty, and medium fries, and choose a burger on the Value Meals, because the other burgers are much too big, and if i cant finish a meal, i hate wasting food
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I would go online and look at the nutrition facts for their meals. Fast Food restaurants are under a lot of pressure to have healthier options available for their customers. I would stay away from fries and soda, just keep to water and no side unless they have a fruit option. I think by doing that it would be ok to occasionally get fast food.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I sometimes go to Chipotle. It's a lot healthier than other fast food, can have lower calories if you choose wisely), and it's super tasty! I haven't had a fast food burger in a loooooong time.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    we go about once a week, after church on sunday nights.
    most of the time, i end up with a salad and the grilled chicken breast of the sandwhich.

today was so sporadic, in my eating that i went with a fried sandwich and fries.
  • erinkeely4
    erinkeely4 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I would go online and look at the nutrition facts for their meals. Fast Food restaurants are under a lot of pressure to have healthier options available for their customers. I would stay away from fries and soda, just keep to water and no side unless they have a fruit option. I think by doing that it would be ok to occasionally get fast food.

This is a great idea! Though keep in mind that the nutrition facts online can be 100 or 200 calories lower than they actually are (there have been studies on this).