MFP Bullying and Negativity needs to stop!

Options
mikeyrp
mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
Over the last few weeks I've read a number of naive posts from people which have quite rightly been shot down - however the way in which the MFP community has done this has been, in my opinion, negative and in many cases borderline bullying.

I'm not going to talk specifics but I think it would be good if we could all be mindful of the following things

Not everyone on the site will have the same goals - most people join the site to loose weight but some people are here to track what they eat in order to stay healthy - I'm talking about maintainers, people who are training and want to hit specific macro 's (protein, carbs etc) and people who are trying to gain weight normally following physical or mental illness. Some people just want to loose (or gain) weight - others want to become super fit athletes or body builders. Some want to have the worlds healthiest diet - others want to simply reduce their calorie intake. Every single one of these objectives is legitimate and I don't believe any of us have a right to judge one objective to be better than another.

With this in mind - a sensitive poster will state their personal objectives at the start of a post before making a statement like 'should my fridge contain more lard' ... But lets be honest - not everyone is super sensitive...

When we see a post like this we shouldn't all rush in to tell this person they are an idiot... but ask probing questions like 'have you considered that most people on this site are not looking to increase their lard intake - perhaps you can share your objectives and how will eating more lard help you to achieve them'

The worst kind of response is where we pick up on an attribute of the poster and use this to belittle them rather than to meet their statements head on with a constructive and logical argument. For example making assumption on something in a profile picture and making comments about it, or picking up on spelling or grammar issues and using this to make people feel stupid. Come on people - that's not what this community is or should be about!

So - read this then go forth and be nice to each other :) I know its what you all do best.

Replies

• BrownEyedGiRL928
    BrownEyedGiRL928 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    where's the "like" button when you need it. well said.
  • TankGirl71
    TankGirl71 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    <
    banging the "like" button like it's her job.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    AMEN. I got seriously trolled a few weeks ago for asking a simple question. Ridiculous.
  • hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more with this post. Love it.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I completely agree. I've been seeing that a lot lately.
  • jbucci1186
    jbucci1186 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    thank you for posting this.
  • andtian
    andtian Posts: 47
    Options
    where's the "like" button when you need it. well said.
    what she said.
  • DeadlyDame13
    DeadlyDame13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    agree and *like*
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Very well said I agree 100%.
  • nadiaez
    nadiaez Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    very very true...I was thinking the exact same thing....some of the replies are just plain rude and can be really demeaning and/or patronising....everyone is trying hard to lead a healthier life and we should all be here to support each other!
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    thankyou! :D cannot thank you enough aha!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    :heart:
  • Latoyamary
    Latoyamary Posts: 140
    Options
    where is the love button!!! LOVE IT!!!
  • fishgirlnola
    fishgirlnola Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    <
    banging the "like" button like it's her job.

That's cute and I agree.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Well said. Thank you
  • ZumbaQueenKelly
    Options
    Well said. I couldn't agree with you more!
  • CarlaRG
    CarlaRG Posts: 264
    Options
    Love!
  • jeanie✰
    jeanie✰ Posts: 127
    Options
    AGREED.
  • nlfrancis
    Options
    Love the post!! And it is so true - we need to be supportive and understanding. Being negative or rude to someone could make them give up so much of what they have gained. Just because you may not like something or be having a bad day, does not mean to be abusive.
  • paulahhhh
    paulahhhh Posts: 283
    Options
    +1, Like, Props, Kudos... Whatever!!

Thanks for this post!!