MFP Bullying and Negativity needs to stop!

Options

Replies

• Punkedpoetess
    Punkedpoetess Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I agree with your post. We all have our own goals and should be supported in them within reason. This should be the case even if not everyone has the same viewpoint.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    thasss what she said.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've seen people post some mean, and belittling things.
    Like people saying others are eating "processed crap" ect ect

Everyone has their own way and what works for them, and some people are just looking for advice. There's a way to answer someone's question without being rude and condescending.
  • SallieBeige
    SallieBeige Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Maybe a private mail to the offending person might help? Public responses might provoke the original problem imho.

I don't know, but maybe in trying to be helpful I might mis-interpretted some postings and inadvertently posted an insensitive response.

If (when??) this is the case, I would like to know. I would like to hope people (most - if not almost all - or hopefully all?) don't deliberately set out to ruin someone else's day
  • kandrews24
    kandrews24 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Definately agree! And further, folks can simply "say something nice, or not say anything at all".
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BethanyCee
    Options
    Well put.
  • astovey
    astovey Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This is so true, thank you for posting!
  • angijunbug
    angijunbug Posts: 205
    Options
    Love this post! Rock on!!!
  • Lacole216
    Options
    great post! "like" :flowerforyou:
  • GTOgirl1969
    GTOgirl1969 Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    +1 for the "Like" column. Too many people on the Internet in general seem to think that their opinion is the only valid one.
  • lind3400
    lind3400 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm in kindergarten and my teacher just told me to play nicely with the other kids....
  • sarahrobin
    sarahrobin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree! In the past couple of weeks I have seen so many posts where the OP or other posters were attacked mercilessly. There has also been a lot of childish behavior happening. I understand that people get upset or angered when a thread gets taken down and they feel they have been insulted in some way. It's time to let it go, though. You had your rant. You've made numerous threads talking about the injustices of the world. Let it go! It will help your health (and sanity) in the long run! :flowerforyou:
  • mikeyrp
    mikeyrp Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm in kindergarten and my teacher just told me to play nicely with the other kids....

Now I want a *Like* button :)
  • TNGURL
    TNGURL Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you touched on this subject... I have ran across some rude comments on here lately. We should be supportive & caring of eachother. I am truly sincere when I say I am thankful for the great friends I have made on MFP.

As we were taught as children, if you can't say anything nice... don't say anything at all. :smile:
  • staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    thank you for taking the time to post this. very thoughtful and well said. :)
  • ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    great post
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wonderful post, thank you.
  • mandapanda001
    mandapanda001 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Over the last few weeks I've read a number of naive posts from people which have quite rightly been shot down - however the way in which the MFP community has done this has been, in my opinion, negative and in many cases borderline bullying.

I'm not going to talk specifics but I think it would be good if we could all be mindful of the following things

Not everyone on the site will have the same goals - most people join the site to loose weight but some people are here to track what they eat in order to stay healthy - I'm talking about maintainers, people who are training and want to hit specific macro 's (protein, carbs etc) and people who are trying to gain weight normally following physical or mental illness. Some people just want to loose (or gain) weight - others want to become super fit athletes or body builders. Some want to have the worlds healthiest diet - others want to simply reduce their calorie intake. Every single one of these objectives is legitimate and I don't believe any of us have a right to judge one objective to be better than another.

With this in mind - a sensitive poster will state their personal objectives at the start of a post before making a statement like 'should my fridge contain more lard' ... But lets be honest - not everyone is super sensitive...

When we see a post like this we shouldn't all rush in to tell this person they are an idiot... but ask probing questions like 'have you considered that most people on this site are not looking to increase their lard intake - perhaps you can share your objectives and how will eating more lard help you to achieve them'

The worst kind of response is where we pick up on an attribute of the poster and use this to belittle them rather than to meet their statements head on with a constructive and logical argument. For example making assumption on something in a profile picture and making comments about it, or picking up on spelling or grammar issues and using this to make people feel stupid. Come on people - that's not what this community is or should be about!

So - read this then go forth and be nice to each other :) I know its what you all do best.

Very well said and ditto!! :flowerforyou:
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    While I agree on some points. I have also seen several times where something was meant to lighten a mood and people go all defensive on it. There is room here for humor as well. take some deep breaths people.