Couch to 5K-General Support

Options

Replies

• spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I run/walk 1.5 miles at least 2 times a week. I got up this morning to do just that, and ended up running more of it than I ever have before! I have only been running for 3 weeks, and I ran at least 80% of it! I am amazed at the progress I have been able to make in such a short time! I am so looking forward to my first 5K!
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Today I completed week four, day two. Wow. Running for 5 minutes is really hard! I have no problem doing the first three running segments but during the last 5 minutes I have to start walking because I can't quite make it yet. I think that I'll have to stick with week four for more than 3 days. I feel okay with that though, as long as I keep going. I just eed to work on my endurance before I attempt to run for 8 minutes! How is everyone else doing this week?
  • dustyhockeymom
    dustyhockeymom Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I am out of town this week and had access to a treadmill at the hotel. I was hoping to be able to continue my C25K program while I was here. I discovered that while I love running outdoors, I hate running on a treadmill. So instead I stuck to 5K brisk walks. I am happy to be home tomorrow to get back to week 3 day 2.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I ran for 1.5 miles straight! I am amazed at how quickly I have been able to run longer distances. I will be up to a 5k in no time!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    1. My name is Monica,but I go by Catshark209 on most sites.
    2. I completed the C25K in May.
    3. Not anymore as much as before. I eventually want to try a 5K with my partner, when he and I have the time.
    4. Because I cannot afford a gym and needed to lose my frontal buttocks and saggy skinny-fat body. Running was the most logical thing to do with my economic situation. I had a treadmill and I had the app and time. I seriously lost like 10lbs right away. I completely overhauled my diet as well though. I love to run.
  • hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    1.hazel
    2. im a c25k graduate
    3. i had no race goal in mind just wanted to a challenge to get my energy back
    4. despite my wt i feel i was born to run, i love the burn, the sweat and the challenge, the c25k is doable to anyone who is comfortable walking at a fast pace you dont have to be in the best shape in the world to do it just have the determination and commitment to complete it.

the only advice i have for beginners is in wk 5 you will be challenged to run 20min without stopping, know that this is just a mind game and it may look scary on paper but trust me you can and will push thr it dont try to figure out how you are going to get it done just put one foot in front of the other, turn up your music and run, you will be so proud of yourself when you push thr it and on to wk6 which is gravy.

good luck to everyone.
  • heyhaleylee
    heyhaleylee Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The name's Haley :)
    Just finished W3D2
    I have no races in mind yet, just the goal of finishing, since I've started C25K 4 times haha.
    I started running because I'm jealous of runners and the endurance they have, especially when my best friend started running. I want to be able to run with him!
  • Sassi50
    Sassi50 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    1. My name is Sandie
    2. Finished W2D1 this evening (added a couple of flights of stairs (130 steps one way)
    3. There isn't a specific race in mind, but last year I walked a 3k run (ya, couldn't run it) in February, so this time I want to run it (and believe me, in February around here, you want to be moving fast to keep warm)
    4. I used to run decades ago...I was a runner in high school, and as time went on and life happened it seemed that the passion for running slipped away. But I got the bug a couple of years ago (as a way to release some stress while we dealt with my husband's cancer...he's fine now thankfully)....but I went about it wrong and got discouraged. But C25K is a fabulous programme and I WILL do it !!!!
  • MamaBear05
    MamaBear05 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    1. Hi all. My name is Jennifer

2. Completed Week 4 Day 2. It was a struggle the whole way but I did it. Much more so than W4D1. I'm blaming it on the heat and my music not working properly. I will do W4D3 Saturday and if it's still difficult, I am going to repeat it once or twice before moving to Week 5.

3. I don't have a 5k lined up but I am training for the Tough Mudder in January. I need to find a 5k in October/November as a short term goal to look forward to.

4. I have always despised running. I like walking and I naturally walk quite fast. But I got to a point where I could not climb a single flight of stairs without feeling like I was going to have a heart attack at the top. I knew I needed to do something to increase my stamina. My sister-in-law told me about the Tough Mudder and I was so excited about all the obstacles. Not quite as excited about the 11 miles also involved. I really wanted to do it and the only choice I had was to start running.

I have discovered one thing about successful running for me. Running is boring. Running down the street or around the track kills me. Running through washes (dry river beds) is so much more fun. It takes my mind off of the monotony a bit because I have to keep my balance and dodge little obstacles.
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Hi I am cant

I am starting c25k tomorrow

I am going to do a walking 5k in October...hope to do resolution run on Jan 1

Why? I want to be a runner. I was going to wait 14.2 pounds until I hit onederland to start the program as my reward for getting there...but then I decided that I should just do it! I will get to onederland faster!
  • leilaphoenix
    leilaphoenix Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    1. Leila
    2. Done W1 and W2 but had a bit of a break while I've been unwell. Hoping to start back on W3 this weekend.
    3. I have my first 5k on 30th Oct. If I can complete it without walking at all, this would be a major achievement for me!
    4. Lots people who have made it to their weight goal got addicted to running. This is what I'm trying to do!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    1. Stuart
    2. Completed Week 5 yesterday, and its the first time in my life iv ran for 20 minutes straight, 5 weeks ago i struggled to comlplete the 1 minute runs, so proud of myself
    3. I have a 5K charity run on 11th September, very early in the program but im looking foward to it never-the-less
    4. Wanting to get fit by doing an exercise i enjoy, and seems like running and biking and the ones iv become to love!
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    1.hazel
    2. im a c25k graduate
    4. despite my wt i feel i was born to run, i love the burn, the sweat and the challenge, the c25k is doable to anyone who is comfortable walking at a fast pace you dont have to be in the best shape in the world to do it just have the determination and commitment to complete it.

the only advice i have for beginners is in wk 5 you will be challenged to run 20min without stopping, know that this is just a mind game and it may look scary on paper but trust me you can and will push thr it dont try to figure out how you are going to get it done just put one foot in front of the other, turn up your music and run, you will be so proud of yourself when you push thr it and on to wk6 which is gravy.

good luck to everyone.

Absolutely! that 20 minute figure looked very scary to me, but i did it last night and smoked it! i didnt quite make 2 miles but i did do 21 minutes of running! not to bad to say on W1D1 i thought i was going to die from those 1 minute runs, really looking forward to week 6 and beyond!
  • dustyhockeymom
    Options
    I just finished Week 3 Day 3. I have been taking longer than a week to get through each week, just because I don't always have time to get out and do it. But each time I do, I love it. Today I added an extra 3 minutes run into the program to just go a little longer. I am always nervous the first time each new week thinking I won't be able to do it. I always tell myself to just try and if I can't do it I will go back the previous week and repeat. So far I haven't needed to do that, but giving myself permission makes it easier.
  • Mikey1972
    Mikey1972 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Week 2 day 1 for me tomorrow and I am already seeing progress
  • kiwifebes
    kiwifebes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I did week 3 run 1 tonight and I'm still buzzing. So proud of myself to run the 3 mins and it was easy!! I ran really slowly but found the time no problem. A couple of questions for you all- Do you run more than 3 times a week? Do you exercise in other ways in the week? Do you leave a day between runs? Do you stretch after?
    I am going to aim for 4 runs a week but only move up a week on a sunday. I will aim to do a Jillian dvd once or twice a week as well. I sometimes don't leave a day between depending on schedule. I really need to stretcg at first but now I feel fine- maybe I should be stretching though.
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    My Name is Megan

I'm currently working on week 5 day 1 of the C25K. (I started at a longer running time but developed tendonitis i think from doing to much to fast) now i'm having to increase slower because i still have aches in the one foot/leg so i'm hoping a slower pace of increasing distance and time will help.

I was aiming for the Underarmor 5k on October 15th but haven't registered (don't have to until the 6th) because wasn't sure how my foot would handle it.

I enjoy feeling athletic and wanted to do something that challenges me and will improve my physical endurance.
  • dustyhockeymom
    Options
    I did week 4 day 1 today. I thought I was going to die on that second five minute run, but I just kept up the positive self talk and pushed through. I can't imagine uping my time at this point, but I think that each week and I have been able to do it, so the biggest battle is in my head.
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    1.hazel
    2. im a c25k graduate

good luck to everyone.

Absolutely! that 20 minute figure looked very scary to me, but i did it last night and smoked it! i didnt quite make 2 miles but i did do 21 minutes of running! not to bad to say on W1D1 i thought i was going to die from those 1 minute runs, really looking forward to week 6 and beyond!

Thanks for the advice! i was getting nervous about that part
  • shreddin_mama
    shreddin_mama Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    1. Sarah
    2. I start week 4 day 3 tomorrow. I love the program and it has helped me greatly.
    3. I haven't signed up for a race yet but my goal for now is to finish the c25k program and be able to go 5k
    4. I started running to do something different. I would see people running on the street and wish i could do that. Now i am one of those people. :)