Couch to 5K-General Support

Options

Replies

• haileemou
    Options
    ick not sure i could eat a burrito in between hehe! I feel sick running sometimes! lol
  • kcmg0730
    Options
    Hi Everyone!

I'm Kristin, and I did my very first C25K session this morning. I've been running on and off for almost 4 years now, but I want to use this program to run a little faster, and with some inclines (I'm a treadmill runner, unfortunately)...I'm hoping that by next spring I'll be able to do some road running and start actually doing some races.

Though I like running, sort of, I kind of lose interest in it after a while...and I know that has to do with the treadmill (But...I live in England, and I HATE running in the rain!), I'm hoping that C25K helps me stick with it a bit, and maybe signing up to run an actual 5K might give a me a goal to work toward. Glad this group is here!
  • hesa0204
    hesa0204 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am new to this site, and to the Couch to 5k program. I have a couple of questions for you all, but first:

1. My name is Sarah
    2. I am on week 1, day 2 of the program
    3. I don't have a specific goal in mind besides being able to complete a 5k while running the entire time
    4. I started the program because I wanted to lose weight and get in shape - I thought this could be a piece of the puzzle to that end.

My questions are:
    1) If you use a treadmill for the program, what speeds do you generally use for your walking and jogging portions? Do you find yourself going faster as you progress through the program, or do you just concentrate on time?
    2) I know to induce weight loss, I should ideally be doing some kind of cardio 5 x a week, but this program only calls for you to do it 3 x a week. What else, if anything, do you all do for additional cardio workouts in a week?

Thanks for any feedback - good luck to everyone! :smile:
  • vickijank
    vickijank Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    1. My name is Vicki

2. I'm currently on Week 5, Day 3 of C25k.

3. I'm hoping to run the Skeleton Skurry 5k on October 29th.

4. I really started running because I wanted to get into shape. It was originally my New Years resolution to start running a couple of years ago and I would start and then I would get discouraged and stop running. I've been having a lot of luck with C25k with keeping up my motivation. Starting on week 4 I actually started looking forward to doing C25k to end my day which made me really excited.
  • wackynunu
    Options
    1. Kristi
    2. I am on week 11 if a 13 week couch to 10K program
    3. Not too many 10K races in my area that aren't too pricey.
    4. I want to be able to run 3 times a week to suppliment spinning (ugh) and bootcamp. I also try to squeeze in a pilates and/or yoga every week to keep me flexible. I used to run 5 to 6 miles at a time but "fell off the wagon" and gained 70 lbs. in a year. I love running because I feel so accomplished. I had never even run a mile before a few years ago.
  • mviegas1
    mviegas1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    1. Michelle

2. I am doing a different program but I did W3D3 today.

3. No 5k scheduled yet but there are a ton coming up.

4. I started running last year when I did a boot camp and even ran a 3k. It felt great! I want to get back to that feeling. I've never been a runner so it feels fantastic to actually complete each leg of the training.
  • Bonolover24
    Bonolover24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I was wondering, I did a week 1-3 yesterday and I feel really up for trying week 2-1 tonight. How much rest should I put in-between runs? I am really enjoying the me time. I take my dog out with me(boxer American bulldog mix) she enjoys it just as much as I do.
    I work a lot. I'm currently working 2 jobs on opposite shifts (full time overnights, part time days). I get in my exercise on days I can. Sometimes I do C25K on 2 days in a row, sometimes there's a 3 day gap. It doesn't seem to have negatively affected my progress.

Elisabeth, Thanks for this...I have a hectic schedule too, and it's encouraging to know that I won't lose momentum if I miss an extra day between workouts. Also, I was debating on doing W3D3 tonight because of the rain, but your previous post made me feel bad for evening debating it! I'll run, rain or shine!

1. Tara
    2. W3D3
    3. I'm not a social runner, so I probably won't be doing it in a large group of people anytime soon!
    4. This is the same program my brother started to lost weight. In less than three years, he ended up running the Boston Marathon in the top 10%! I'm not sure I'll make that far, but he is inspiration to me!
  • srajkowski
    Options
    Tomorrow I will be doing W1D2. Day one felt exhilarating even though I only ran for two minutes. But I did it. I don't have a 5K in mind as of now but maybe next spring sometime. I am doing this to get off my couch and MOVE! Running is a great cardio workout but I was never good at it and by the time I'm 39 (which will be in February) I want to say that I am a runner. That would be a great accomplishment for me.
  • adiva
    adiva Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    1. Name. Rachelle

2. What level you are currently on in the C5K program? Yesterday, I did W1D1.

3. Do you have a race goal in mind, and if so, what is it? No plans for any race.

4. Why did you start running? I started running to get into shape and lose 30 lbs.
  • RubyDarling
    RubyDarling Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    1. Rach

2. Completed W3D3 today. I've completed C25K once before in 2009, but then I injured myself and it's taken me 12 months to recover. My physio has told me to start back at the start again. I cannot wait to get into the longer runs though, 5 minutes is too easy for me!

3. Dawnbusters Fun Run on NYE. Providing my knee holds up.

4. I hated running before completed C25K last time. Now I freakin' LOVE IT, and I've been so sad over the past year being unable to run. So I'm running for the heck of it :)
  • meefo42
    Options
    Hello!

1. Meaghan
    2. I'm currently repeating Week 4 Day 2, as a few things have gotten in the way of doing the program regularly, but I'm getting back into it now.
    3. I don't have a specific 5K in mind, but I know I want to build up to do the Disneyland half marathon next year.
    4. I've always wanted to be a runner. I dunno why since I've always hated running haha.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    So yesterday I did day 3 of week 5, a 20 minute run in which you are not supposed to stop. It was pouring rain so badly that at points I couldn't see. I wasn't even able to do 3 minutes without slowing to a walk. I did the whole thing, running as much of it as I could. But I wasn't able to do it without walking. My pant legs were so heavy from the rain it was difficult just to lift my legs. I'm going to have to repeat it when it's not pouring rain and see if maybe I need to repeat day 2 of week 5. This will be the first day I've had to repeat. I was able to do the 8 minute intervals of day 2 straight without slowing to a walk so maybe it was just the weather. I don't know.
    Just wanted to follow up on this. It was definitely the weather. I was able to run the full 20 minutes with virtually no problem last week. Next up, W6 D3!
  • ryno1974
    ryno1974 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone first time poster here, just started MFP, this is a great website very helpful and motivating. I'm sure im going to stick with it and get to my Goal weight and fitness :)

1. Ryan
    2. I have just started the C25K, im on W2D1 and loving it i want to run tomorrow too but resisting cause i don't want to get an injury and have to stop.
    3. I have done a couple of small triathlons in the past and would like to do a decent one one day. I think my first bigger goal will be to do a 10k run tho as I have not hit this mark yet. then find a race somewhere and have a go.
    4. Physio and Doctor said i need to lose weight to help my back. I used to ride a bit, but I'm really getting into running now, its easier to throw on a pair of shoes and hit the road for 30-40mins, plus it seems to burn the calories faster.

Best of luck to everyone
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi all!!
    1. Name Tania
    2. What level you are currently on in the C25K program Week 9 D1
    3. Do you have a race goal in mind, and if so, what is it? I would like to run a 5K, then we'll see!
    4. Why did you start running? I thought it would help with my weight loss, and make me fitter. It's definitely working, but I still find the runs a struggle, and I know I have a long way to go ( literally too!) to be really fit.
  • MetalEllie
    Options
    Hi!

1. Name - Lindsay
    2. Level - currently level 5 just finished day 2 and I'm not looking forward to day 3!! it's a big jump from running 8 mins to 20!!
    3. Race goal - to complete a 5k without walking and to eventually progress to marathons
    4. Why - I've always wanted to run but never stuck with it before, I want runners legs, I want it to be my stress relief instead of eating and ultimately I want it to help me lose weight.

Keep going everyone!!
  • flabulous4
    flabulous4 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Just downloaded Bridge to 10K...darn running bug!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Struggling to keep going on this, because circumstances (torrential rains, poorly child etc) keep getting in the way of scheduled runs. I'm getting out with my daughter this evening, but will have to go again tomorrow, to finish week two *in* week two!
  • Malani2010
    Options
    Malani
    Week 3 day 2 (If weather permits)
    My goal is to run the March of Dimes next year which is a little over a 5k. It's to honor my 1 year old who we could have easily lost due to being 8 weeks premature but God is good.
    I want to run to get healthier and thinner.
  • Malani2010
    Options
    I'm not doing C25K, but a similar program, hoping I can still find support here!

1. Linda
    2. I am on week 1, day 7 today, which was a 45 minute brisk walk
    3. I am going to do my first 5K on Sept 25th
    4. I started running because I quit smoking.

I totally understand the reason to start running. I have been smoke free for like 46 ish days. ( I lost count after a month) lol running keeps my mind of wanting a cigarette but it's not so much an issue now.
  • katieruns
    Options
    Hi there,
    I'm in week 3 of the Couch to 5K program. I was looking for a thread that offered general support for people at ALL stages of Couch to 5K and didn't see one so I thought I'd start one. Newbies can encourage each other, and the seasoned vets can give any tips or pointers they may have.

So, come on in and introduce yourselves!

1. Name
    2. What level you are currently on in the C25K program
    3. Do you have a race goal in mind, and if so, what is it?
    4. Why did you start running?

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to getting to know you all.

Hi everyone!!!

My name is Katie :)

I just completed W2D1 and tossed 6 minutes off my pace from last week so I am really excited about that!! Sitting right now at a 15.36 min mile, so last week was uberslow but I am still excited about the progress. I am really not worried about time, just in completing the program again. (I used to run about 4 years ago, but got sidelined with a surgery and laziness).

I am running the Surfn Santa 5K in VA Beach on Dec 3 and then my lofty and hopefully attainable goal a the Yuengling Shamrock 1/2 Marathon in VA Beach on March 16th 2012.

I started running because my first 8K way back when got me hooked and I LOVED the way it felt to cross that finish line!! Mostly thought, I want to healthy and hawt!! ;)