why do some people only eat the egg whites, not the whole eg

Options

Replies

• AlwaysWanderer
    AlwaysWanderer Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    So what do you do with the yolks?

Seems a waste?
    Eat the yolk. Its very good for you. I go with the idea that if humans didnt make it, it's good for you. :happy:

ok where is that yummy poison oak since humans didnt make it it must be good to eat :laugh:
    I meant food. You know, the thing that you would normally eat? Enjoy you poison oak if thats what you normally eat. :flowerforyou:
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    It is immoral to eat something that could have been a lifeform. Would you eat an aborted fetus?

It's not immoral it's called life. Homo Sapiens are omnivores - we've got where we are today partly due our adaptability for eating almost any organic food source.

I'm sure with a fancy name and a tasty sauce some sort of fetus would be palatable - unless you meant cannibalism ?
  • Angellore
    Angellore Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    It is immoral to eat something that could have been a lifeform. Would you eat an aborted fetus?

Yes.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    Do you have a recipe?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    because I like cheese and sausage, so I pick and choose my calories.
  • donbet69
    donbet69 Posts: 133
    Options
    It's actually very GOOD for you. But people overreact about the calories and cholesterol. People who disregard the yolk are cheating themselves out of some great nutrient-dense food. :frown:

People that skip the yolks, like me.... won't have to take Lipitor any longer either. While I appreciate your point of view, I am not overreacting to my own circumstance by cheating myself of egg yolks.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    And for all the mis-information that's being posted - eggs are NOT fetuses. They are UNFERTILIZED. It's JUST AN EGG. It doesn't become an embryo until the rooster adds his part to the equation.

So enjoy your eggs! ;)

Yeah, this bugs the *kitten* outta me, did these people not take biology in middle school? If you ever get a fertilized egg, you'll know it. I've always understood that there were very strict rules in the egg industry to ensure that this doesn't happen, it would be very bad for the farmers if people opened up a nasty bloody fertilized egg in every carton.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    When my cat had kittens, I noticed that the after the birth, the cat had an uncontrollable urge to consume all of the placenta.

Do new born mothers have this instinct as well? It must be a super food. I don't think they do, so there are so many uneaten placentas. How can I add this into my daily routine?

I also routinely go down to the this puppy mill and collect the dog fetus. Some people have an aversion to it, but really its like eating high grade veal. here is the recipe

1: coat in milk
    2: breadcrumbs
    3: bake on 350 for 35 min.
    4: enjoy

This earth provides everything for us, and nothing should go to waste. If it were not meant to be eaten, then why provide for us? I do not eat unclean animals. Insect, swine etc.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's actually very GOOD for you. But people overreact about the calories and cholesterol. People who disregard the yolk are cheating themselves out of some great nutrient-dense food. :frown:

People that skip the yolks, like me.... won't have to take Lipitor any longer either. While I appreciate your point of view, I am not overreacting to my own circumstance by cheating myself of egg yolks.

From my understanding, if your cholesterol is normal or low, you can indulge in all the yolks you like. However, when I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, my doctor referred me to a registered dietician who recommended no more than two yolks per week.

My cholesterol is genetic and my HDL is VERY high, so I refuse to take the meds, but I certainly trust an RD's recommendation that also jives with things I've read on the subject from some very reliable sources (that weren't Internet message boards). :-)

I'm kind of confused about the people trying to convince everyone we should be eating yolks if we don't want to ...
  • rml_16
    Options
    When my cat had kittens, I noticed that the after the birth, the cat had an uncontrollable urge to consume all of the placenta.

Do new born mothers have this instinct as well? It must be a super food. I don't think they do, so there are so many uneaten placentas. How can I add this into my daily routine?

I also routinely go down to the this puppy mill and collect the dog fetus. Some people have an aversion to it, but really its like eating high grade veal. here is the recipe

1: coat in milk
    2: breadcrumbs
    3: bake on 350 for 35 min.
    4: enjoy

This earth provides everything for us, and nothing should go to waste. If it were not meant to be eaten, then why provide for us? I do not eat unclean animals. Insect, swine etc.

I think you just ensured that I will never go back to eating meat. Ever. lol

I did not have a desire to eat my afterbirth when I had my daughter, but then again, I couldn't sit up without passing out for the next 12 hours, so maybe the feeling passed in the meantime.
  • Minoesh
    Minoesh Posts: 105 Member
    Options

LOL...ok, this is actually funny never thought of it that way...lol...thanks for that as I sit eating my egg whites.

I eat only the whites because I don't like the taste of the yolk...yucky..also I can have 6 whites for 102 cal and 22 grams of protein so it fills me up in the morning...mmmm....lots of fetus' down the drain....that just can't be good.....damn I am having a hard time eating my eggs now...eeewwww

If it makes you feel better, they aren't fetuses since they weren't fertilized. :-) You're eating the chicken's period.

Eeewww, eeewww, eeewww! How to put someone off eggs Lol!!
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of confused about the people trying to convince everyone we should be eating yolks if we don't want to ...
    Nobody's trying to convince anybody that they should be eating Yolks if they don't want to.

Elliebellie asked why people don't eat the yolk and there have been a variety of reasons why.

Albumen (egg white) is almost entirely protein (in fact the Dutch word for protein is eiwit (egg white) :happy: )

I actually don't like egg white in fried egg. it's ok in poached or boiled.

And if you're a yolk eater and want to know what to do with the whites... get some splenda and make meringues :tongue:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Nobody's trying to convince anybody that they should be eating Yolks if they don't want to.

Elliebellie asked why people don't eat the yolk and there have been a variety of reasons why.

Albumen (egg white) is almost entirely protein (in fact the Dutch word for protein is eiwit (egg white) :happy: )

I actually don't like egg white in fried egg. it's ok in poached or boiled.

And if you're a yolk eater and want to know what to do with the whites... get some splenda and make meringues :tongue:

Actually, more than one person posted something to the effect of, "Eat the yolks. They're good for you."

They didn't answer the question, and they didn't offer what THEY do. They gave orders. It seems to happen a lot on this site. But then, I guess it happens everywhere, so I shouldn't be surprised. :-)

I'm also not going to argue that they're good for you. I don't think they're not. But they do add calories and fat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Not human , but any other animal I'd probably give it a try if it was prepared in a tasty manner.
  • blue04711
    blue04711 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    LMAO - This made my day ;)
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options

From my understanding, if your cholesterol is normal or low, you can indulge in all the yolks you like. However, when I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, my doctor referred me to a registered dietician who recommended no more than two yolks per week.

My cholesterol is genetic and my HDL is VERY high, so I refuse to take the meds, but I certainly trust an RD's recommendation that also jives with things I've read on the subject from some very reliable sources (that weren't Internet message boards). :-)

Amen! I did my own research and talk to my doctors. I think I rely on that more than someone through in their bias opinion that is not backed up by any bit of sceintific data other than their "opinion".
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Really? It happens all the time on these boards. Try posting that you don't eat greek yogurt and see what happens. It's as if you've said you don't like puppies or support terrorism.
  • rml_16
    Options

Really? It happens all the time on these boards. Try posting that you don't eat greek yogurt and see what happens. It's as if you've said you don't like puppies or support terrorism.
    Ha! If I did eat Greek yogurt, I'd become a one-woman bomb. lol

If those people have an issue with it, I'll eat some and they can lock themselves in my office with me and see how long they last. Which is sad, because it is quite tasty ...
  • Sirchunx
    Sirchunx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have about 4 eggs a day with the yolks to help get my protein and fat in for weightlifting. A lot of the data about food consumption and its effects on the body is outdated and only continued on due to the general lack of public knowledge on the subject. Example here would be Coconut Oil. It was pretty much public enemy number 1 when it was found to have caused higher cholesterol in rabbits. But it turns out that oil was partially hydrogenated purposefully to increase the rabbits cholesterol for testing. 10 years later Coconut Oil has actually become a health food with many benefits over standard oils.

With that said here is an article on a recent egg study: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7882850.stm
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Actually there is an amino acid found in egg yolks and nuts that actually fight the bad cholesterol.