why do some people only eat the egg whites, not the whole eg

Options

Replies

• c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    My husband gets really annoyed that I throw the yolks away, especially because we raise our own chickens. But I have a lot of heart disease in my family. I really shouldn't be eating cheese either, but I eat it sparingly. I had a registered dietician tell me I should only have 2 eggs per week, with my family history of high cholesterol. And it is extra calories that I don't want, so I have whites whenever I can. My dietician says that's where the protien is at anyway.

We skim the fat off our soups, so I don't see what the big deal is about getting rid of the fat.

My husband insists my dietician is wrong, and that eggs are meant to be eaten whole, but I trust her and her degree and experience. I don't put him or anyone else down for eating whole eggs. But for me, I say "not so much".
  • c2sky
    Options
    It's actually very GOOD for you. But people overreact about the calories and cholesterol. People who disregard the yolk are cheating themselves out of some great nutrient-dense food. :frown:

People that skip the yolks, like me.... won't have to take Lipitor any longer either. While I appreciate your point of view, I am not overreacting to my own circumstance by cheating myself of egg yolks.

From my understanding, if your cholesterol is normal or low, you can indulge in all the yolks you like. However, when I was diagnosed with high cholesterol, my doctor referred me to a registered dietician who recommended no more than two yolks per week.

My cholesterol is genetic and my HDL is VERY high, so I refuse to take the meds, but I certainly trust an RD's recommendation that also jives with things I've read on the subject from some very reliable sources (that weren't Internet message boards). :-)

I'm kind of confused about the people trying to convince everyone we should be eating yolks if we don't want to ...

Thank you, yeah I was trying to say what you said.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    To those that avoid the egg yolk:

You're eating it anyway in other products, baked goods, pasta, processed foods...
  • Onesnap
    Options
    It is immoral to eat something that could have been a lifeform. Would you eat an aborted fetus?

Not human , but any other animal I'd probably give it a try if it was prepared in a tasty manner.

For those of you that watch Anthony Bourdain's 'No Reservations' you see that many animal parts are served up in a tasty manner in many cultures. :) Never be afraid to try something new.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You're eating it anyway in other products, baked goods, pasta, processed foods...

Oh my gosh! Really??? I had absolutely NO IDEA until you just told me that there is egg yolk in those things. THANK YOU SO MUCH for being my great savior! I will stop eating all of those things IMMEDIATELY!

Whew!
  • c2sky
    Options
    I have about 4 eggs a day with the yolks to help get my protein and fat in for weightlifting. A lot of the data about food consumption and its effects on the body is outdated and only continued on due to the general lack of public knowledge on the subject. Example here would be Coconut Oil. It was pretty much public enemy number 1 when it was found to have caused higher cholesterol in rabbits. But it turns out that oil was partially hydrogenated purposefully to increase the rabbits cholesterol for testing. 10 years later Coconut Oil has actually become a health food with many benefits over standard oils.

With that said here is an article on a recent egg study: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7882850.stm

Most RD's are required to "study" all the latest studies, and they have very credible resources to back up their recommendations. I'm a personal trainer, and I have to stay up on all the latest exercise information, but it always amazes me that people think they know more because they heard it or read it on a study. Science evolves, and yes sometimes things are found new, but I will rely on my RD"s PERSONAL recommendations for me. In the same way, I hope my clients rely on the PERSONAL recommendations I make for them.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Actually, only when I chose to as I eat little to know baked goods, pasta, processed foods. My son and I are allergic to gluten and soy and in order to avoid these things I pretty much make all of our processed foods. Anywho, that's just an aside because I like to be difficult. I don't eat the egg yolks because I'd rather have the cheese, so I have a 3 egg white omlette with cheese. But when I don't have cheese I eat 2 eggs, 1 with and 1 without. I need the protein, not the fat or calories.
  • Onesnap
    Options

Oh my gosh! Really??? I had absolutely NO IDEA until you just told me that there is egg yolk in those things. THANK YOU SO MUCH for being my great savior! I will stop eating all of those things IMMEDIATELY!

Whew!

No need to be annoying and mean. I was only putting a friendly reminder out because often people that avoid egg yolks forget it is in so many things.
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the world, a baby is born every 1.7
    seconds. This means, that in the time it takes to fry an egg in
    a conventional frying pan, over 137 babies have been born.
    Unless you like your egg really crispy and golden brown on the
    outside like I do, in which case you could have over 200 really
    crispy, fried babies. Or, if you're cooking on gas, about 194.

An important lesson for us all there I think
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Whew!

No need to be annoying and mean. I was only putting a friendly reminder out because often people that avoid egg yolks forget it is in so many things.

"Annoying and mean" are generally my reactions to condescension. :-)
  • Onesnap
    Options

Actually, only when I chose to as I eat little to know baked goods, pasta, processed foods. My son and I are allergic to gluten and soy and in order to avoid these things I pretty much make all of our processed foods. Anywho, that's just an aside because I like to be difficult. I don't eat the egg yolks because I'd rather have the cheese, so I have a 3 egg white omlette with cheese. But when I don't have cheese I eat 2 eggs, 1 with and 1 without. I need the protein, not the fat or calories.

Thank you for posting that. That is what I was getting at. For people that have to restrict certain things from their diets it can be tough because that particular food (even if it is soy or nuts or something they do not like to eat) may be found in a lot of products.
  • Onesnap
    Options

"Annoying and mean" are generally my reactions to condescension. :-)

See my above response. I was not attempting to be condescending in any regard. You took my response the wrong way and over-reacted.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It is immoral to eat something that could have been a lifeform. Would you eat an aborted fetus?

That is a very harsh thing to say!!!

I assume you don't eat meat either? More so, I would hope you don't. Because you can't make a remark like that and then go and eat chicken for your protein. Meat was a life form.

I eat eggs and meat. :) Although I don't eat ground beef anymore due to the fat. I haven't eaten a egg yolk either. However, this forum is making me feel like I can. Which would make a huge difference for me. I love the egg yolk but was under this impression it's not good to eat while trying to lose weight. Hmmmmmmm.....
  • cheri0627
    cheri0627 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't like yolk in my omelets or scrambled eggs. I don't know why, I just don't like the way it tastes as much.

If I fry my egg, I like the yolk a lot.

For me, it's just a taste preference thing.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Although I don't eat ground beef anymore due to the fat. I haven't eaten a egg yolk either. However, this forum is making me feel like I can. Which would make a huge difference for me. I love the egg yolk but was under this impression it's not good to eat while trying to lose weight. Hmmmmmmm.....

Ground turkey works out well in place of ground beef (for lower fat and calories). You can also buy the 90% lean ground beef from small family farms (organic, grass fed etc.) The 'happy meat' as we call it in my house is actually better for you overall Vs grain fed beef.

For me personally (healthy cholesterol levels at this point) eating 2 eggs/week with the yolks has not hindered my weight loss. My husband is also at the perfect weight for his height and eats a lot more than 2 eggs/week. It's different for every person though...
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Somewhere in the world, a baby is born every 1.7
    seconds. This means, that in the time it takes to fry an egg in
    a conventional frying pan, over 137 babies have been born.
    Unless you like your egg really crispy and golden brown on the
    outside like I do, in which case you could have over 200 really
    crispy, fried babies. Or, if you're cooking on gas, about 194.

An important lesson for us all there I think

Eat babies not eggs?

Cuz that's what I read.

mmmmm BBQ covered baby *drool*
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I'm (mostly) vegetarian, so I have very little cholesterol in my diet. I eat 2 egg omelets around once a week. The cholesterol doesn't make me bat an eye.

I used to not like the yolks all that much. They would taste weird to me. But we switched to organic, vegetarian fed, cage free eggs (long name!), and I can really tell a marked difference in yolk quality. The yolks are darker, more of a deep yellow instead of that neon yellow that I thought was normal.
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Aside from my cholesterol being super high (like over 300mg last time it was measured), I don't like the texture of yolks, no matter how they are cooked.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of confused about the people trying to convince everyone we should be eating yolks if we don't want to ...

Really? It happens all the time on these boards. Try posting that you don't eat greek yogurt and see what happens. It's as if you've said you don't like puppies or support terrorism.

Thanks! The Greek yogurt thing really made me laugh! LOL
  • Onesnap
    Options

I used to not like the yolks all that much. They would taste weird to me. But we switched to organic, vegetarian fed, cage free eggs (long name!), and I can really tell a marked difference in yolk quality. The yolks are darker, more of a deep yellow instead of that neon yellow that I thought was normal.

Agreed! :)