Anyone else feel that earthquake on the East coast?

Options

Replies

• ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I guess not too many people realize there are fault lines all over the country......

I wouldn't say that, I would say that we just don't get earthquakes here like that very often

Last time was in the 1700s.

I'm just by the USGS building in Reston.
  • Hattie2879
    Hattie2879 Posts: 131
    Options
    That was just me jogging through town...

That made me laugh out loud, but I shouldn't have. :smile:
  • Syreeta6
    Syreeta6 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Definitely felt it in Charlotte!!
  • Crystals422
    Crystals422 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Felt in here in Virginia Beach. I know it was not a big one but I have lived here all of my life and have never felt one before.
  • curvyniki
    curvyniki Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I'm in central NC and I felt it.. a bit shaken ( hahaha) but really, it freaked me out a bit.
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I was doing my Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred exercise and heard the ceiling rattling and my immediate thought was that it was my fat *kitten* cat running around. When one starts mistaking an earthquake for their cat's saunter then one must seriously consider putting their cat on a diet.
  • TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    yeah I have lived here off and on my whole life and never felt an earthquake

I'm in Maryland, and they evacuated our whole building. First time I ever felt one, too. Funny thing is I stood in the hallway at work for a full 30 seconds watching the walls shake and wondering what the heck it was -- not really the best approach, but I was kinda like a deer in headlights.
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    When one starts mistaking an earthquake for their cat's saunter then one must seriously consider putting their cat on a diet.

Bwaaaa ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaa...!!! :bigsmile:
  • TinaDay1114
    Options
    That was just me jogging through town...

That made me laugh out loud, but I shouldn't have. :smile:

Me too!

Or it coulda been my stomach growling...I'm having one of those DAYS.
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    felt it in our office in Columbus, Ohio!
  • before20
    before20 Posts: 28
    Options
    I felt it in New Jersey! My first thought was that it was an earthquake, but then I thought that it didn't make sense because we don't get earthquakes in NJ lol... But I kind of enjoyed the rocking...is that weird? My Mom though the foundation on the house was going >.< haha
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    I'm in central PA (Hershey) and felt it, no mistaking. Very alarming.

I mean, I'm having a fat day, but seriously, I thought I tipped the world on its axis.
  • sh3lby03
    sh3lby03 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I guess not too many people realize there are fault lines all over the country......

People realize there are fault lines but it is scary when you are in an area that never experiences them and not prepared for such things. For example I would never bash a texan for freaking out during a blizzard even though we get them all the time on the east coast because it would be a shock for them and they wouldn't be prepared.
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    As a southern California native all I can say is: 5.8? Ehhh... Wake me up when it starts to shake.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Felt it here in columbia, MD (near Baltimore). Really scary, I've never experienced an earthquake. I bet everyone in CA is laughing at us right now...

No, actually, the whole Pacific Rim is laughing uncontrollably. I peed my pants. Twice. But that has nothing to do with this. Hope everyone is safe, and remember, there is no earthquake SEASON.
  • ennaejay
    ennaejay Posts: 575
    Options
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and we felt it. I'm on the 4th floor of an office building. Not fun!

BTW, I would love to see the people laughing at us Easterners in south california come to the east coast and experience 4 feet of snow. They may not bat an eye at earthquakes, but I bet they would be the ones running out in the storm buying all the milk and bread.

Hahaha!!! You know it. We might be pansies when the windows rattle, but we can drive in the snow :-D
  • firegirley
    firegirley Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and we felt it. I'm on the 4th floor of an office building. Not fun!

BTW, I would love to see the people laughing at us Easterners in south california come to the east coast and experience 4 feet of snow. They may not bat an eye at earthquakes, but I bet they would be the ones running out in the storm buying all the milk and bread.

Hahaha!!! You know it. We might be pansies when the windows rattle, but we can drive in the snow :-D

Baaahhahahahaha!!! You got that right!!! LOL
  • MacSkillz
    MacSkillz Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Felt it in Cambridge, MA!
  • GinaKurtz
    GinaKurtz Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm in Lynchburg, VA (about an hour & a half from the epicenter) & we felt it! We had to evacuate. The windows rattled, building swayed, & vault door (work at a bank) moved! We got outside & could hear it rumbling!
  • pope369
    pope369 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I live about 135 miles NE of the earthquake’s epicenter. I felt a pre-shock, a very strong 30 second tremor, plus a small after-shock. The whole event lasted about a minute. The good news is that there was no damage.