When it's that time of month.. (WOMEN ONLY)

Options

Replies

• shockrina
    Options
    In answer some of the peeps who suggested going to the doctor, I did, and here's what happened.

First she suggested going on the pill, which I won't do, for personal reasons (no, I'm not religious and I don't have any kids). She did an ultrasound, she found nothing, but that doesn't rule out endometriosis. She finally just suggested that I take 4 advil and 2 tylenol at once, every 6 hours, as needed, not exceeding something or other, I forget now.

OK, so I did that for awhile and there was less pain but I was still incapacitated because I was totally drugged out. And all that advil then caused my tinnitus to get way worse so I wanted to quit doing the advil.

I read Dr. Lee's book, "What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Pre-menopause" because I heard someone talking on the radio about the symptoms of being "estrogen dominant". So I read the book and got myself some progesterone cream (this is over the counter because it's natural, not synthetic like estrogen, so it can't be patented) and WOW what a difference! I still get some doozies once in a while, especially if I forget to use the cream, but it's way better now.

And I think that my weightloss/better nutrition/quit caffeine altogether has also helped.

Might have to look into that creme! I know my cramps are not worsen by caffeine as the only caffeine I have is what is in my midol pills I take. I use to take the 4 advils but they stopped working so using Midol currently even if it takes a few hrs to work. I try to sit as still as possible at work. :) LoL
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I'm on birth control. I STILL bleed heavily enough to have to err... "change things" every 30-45 minutes (for 1 day out of 6-8). I STILL get cramps that make me sick to my stomach, thankfully I've stopped the actual vomitting. Is it "normal?" Maybe not, but barring a hysterectomy at 31 (without kids, it's "elective" so insurance won't cover) there's not a whole hell of a lot I can do about it. Sometimes, for some people, sucking it up just isn't enough.
  • mjmoore8480
    Options
    Honestly, it totally depends on how I feel. Last month, I felt alright and did my scheduled workout. I felt great! However, I'm exhausted this month and might skip tonight's workout. I tried to workout last night and didn't get through the whole thing so I think I need some rest. Listen to your body. However, make sure you can differentiate between the "I just don't feel like it" and the "I really don't have the energy for it."

I was going to say the same thing- we can all offer advise, but the best advise is to listen to your body and do what you feel up to- whether it be a full workout, light walk, or laid up on the couch with your feet up- I have done all of these during my TOM depending on how I've felt. Good luck!!
  • ginny1214
    ginny1214 Posts: 338
    Options
    I had bad cramps and irregular periods, but when they would come, would last up to three weeks, heavy heavy flow, so after my daughter I opted to be on implanon and I've had it for a yr and a half and maybe three periods only lasting a few days. Do you have endometriosis?
  • toniRAD
    toniRAD Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Damn, people are brutal on here. She's just asking a question.. If I were you, I just wouldn't workout on those days if your body isn't feeling up to it. You don't have to workout every single day, especially when you're feeling like that! As long as you're still eating good, you'll be fine. :)
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    This may sound extreme, but you might want to try cutting dairy out of your diet for an entire month. Some women have found that cutting out dairy has greatly relieved their symptoms. I get migraines for 1-2 days during my cycle, so I don't workout if I have one, even if my medication has worked. But when I am past that I do workout. As was mentioned, even something gentle would be good. I also second the list one of the posters gave of trying to avoid sugary and salty things and basically eating a healthy diet. For some women the very types of foods they are craving will actually make their symptoms worse. If your symptoms are that bad, and a doctor hasn't found anything medically wrong, then I would start looking at your diet and experimenting - cut out sugar the entire week before, and during; another time try cutting out extra sodium (as in don't eat packaged stuff; keep trying this to see if you can identify foods that mek things worse. It's time consuming, but worth it if you are serious about decreasing your symptoms. (If you choose to experiment with eliminating dairy, I would go a bit longer, at least two weeks if not a full month),
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I'm on birth control. I STILL bleed heavily enough to have to err... "change things" every 30-45 minutes (for 1 day out of 6-8). I STILL get cramps that make me sick to my stomach, thankfully I've stopped the actual vomitting. Is it "normal?" Maybe not, but barring a hysterectomy at 31 (without kids, it's "elective" so insurance won't cover) there's not a whole hell of a lot I can do about it. Sometimes, for some people, sucking it up just isn't enough.

Have you considered trying a different pill? If your still having those side effects, it may not be the right one.. OP, same goes for you.

I lucked out with mine.. Loestrin 24 FE.. totally took care of everything.. and I was like OP.. Cramps that started in the front, wrapped around to the back and down to my tailbone.. and got so bad that I couldn't even walk, let alone move outta bed. I'd take Advil, and then conk out while it took hold... I was also changing things every hour or 2.. and now there is none of that thank goodness. I only get a little bit of cramps and one day of heavy bleeding.. everything else is light.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options

Have you considered trying a different pill? If your still having those side effects, it may not be the right one.. OP, same goes for you.

I lucked out with mine.. Loestrin 24 FE.. totally took care of everything.. and I was like OP.. Cramps that started in the front, wrapped around to the back and down to my tailbone.. and got so bad that I couldn't even walk, let alone move outta bed. I'd take Advil, and then conk out while it took hold... I was also changing things every hour or 2.. and now there is none of that thank goodness. I only get a little bit of cramps and one day of heavy bleeding.. everything else is light.

I've tried a dozen or so different ones throughout the years. It's frustrating, for myself and my gyno. :grumble: When I switch, it'll work great for 6-18 months and then gradually get worse. I can't do the "Seasonale" types because I've already got issues with breakthrough bleeding. Right now I'm on NuvaRing, and that's been the best in a while. We will see how long it works (it's been a little over a year). Next step would be an IUD, not normally recommended for me (no kids) but in this case it would be.
  • dovesgate
    dovesgate Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. The first day of my TOM is hell and the next couple days are Purgatory. If I don't catch it right away (with Midol or Advil) the pain wraps from between my shoulder blades down past my tail bone and around my ovaries and then causes a lovely case of nausea. Once in a great while I have to leave work to go home. At those times, I simply drug the heck outta myself with Midol, Tylenol, Advil, whatever is handy (preferably an 800mg Motrin which I hoard from my RX any time I get hurt or sick enough to be prescribed them). My husband handles the kids and I curl into the fetal position in my bed and wait for the meds to kick in or I die. Whichever makes the pain go away! I've also started using a heating pad and it helps relax all the muscles while I wait.

I cannot imagine trying to exercise through it. Orgasm only makes it worse. I would say if you can, try. But don't beat yourself up for not being able to. You may find exercise helps and you may find it makes it worse. So, try it and see which makes you feel better.
  • suzannekatherine
    suzannekatherine Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't quite understand the warrior woman mentality when it comes to exercise. Is there some law that says that you have to work out until you heave every day of your life? I mean, if that's your thing, then great. And I don't think someone should just drop off the earth once a month for mild cramping. But, personally, I say exercise if you feel like it and if it makes you feel good. I see no reason for anyone to be a hero. But then I don't really understand people who feel the need to labor without an epidural, either. Props to those who can, though. Major!
  • Prestonsmumma
    Prestonsmumma Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    i still workout regardless, but it all depends on how ur feeling, i'd say workout but jst do as much as u can do, dont push yourself too hard and make yourself even worse!!

good luck!! :happy:
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    One answer: Birth Control.. go to your GYN about the pill, and I promise, you'll feel so much better

I was like you that during TOM, I couldn't hardly do anything because I was so sick.. and now after being on bc for two years, I don't feel anything at all and it's wonderful.

My problem with pills was that I didn't feel a thing. And I mean in any aspect of my life. Caused nice "little" depression for me (being completely numb is not fun :( ), so I'm not gonna use any more pills. I might try some local ones (like NuvaRing) if I ever need any birth control, but then again, it looks very unlike that I would need any.
    Just trying to tell that pills aren't always the right answer, unfortunately :(

To OP's question, I would do light workout and listen to my body. I have noticed that little movement (if I'm not too much in pain) will help a bit with the cramps :)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    One answer: Birth Control.. go to your GYN about the pill, and I promise, you'll feel so much better

I was like you that during TOM, I couldn't hardly do anything because I was so sick.. and now after being on bc for two years, I don't feel anything at all and it's wonderful.

My problem with pills was that I didn't feel a thing. And I mean in any aspect of my life. Caused nice "little" depression for me (being completely numb is not fun :( ), so I'm not gonna use any more pills. I might try some local ones (like NuvaRing) if I ever need any birth control, but then again, it looks very unlike that I would need any.

I didn't mean I didn't feel anything as in depression.. believe me, I still have mood swings, but the cramps and heavy bleeding went away.
  • dolphin9803
    Options
    I normally skip the first 2 days with my TOM. But Only because its like I have morning sickness all over again and it last for 2 days all day. I just don't fuction well. The TOM for me sucks majorly, this may sound strange but I have found that Icy Hot works wonders...lol Just apply to crampy areas and it works atleast for me. I wasn't always like this, I had my tubes tied about 8 1/2 yrs ago and they have progressively gotten worse over the years. Tried the whole BC thing and non of it worked for me so I gave up and now I just deal to the best that I can. When I take those 2 days off I try to make up for it on the weekend ;) I say whats it going to hurt if you take a day off just try to make up the day that you missed. But thats me :)
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Do you ever feel so bad that you can't do your normal workout sessions?

I know for me all through high school I would throw up once a month from the cramps. Just to get going in the mornings I have to take either four Advil or lately been doing 2 Midols the first two days. Then I feel a little better in the evening.

Just trying to decide if I feel up to working out tonight. I know people says it helps with the cramps but I sometimes feel fine during then worst after I'm done.

What do you do?

Hey girl, from a trainer pov let me give you some important facts and I hope you look them up yourself to verify:

I workout as soon as I know I can get my flow and cramps under control with tons of ipruprophen to stop the flow - it usally takes about 600mg for me to stop my heaviest flow on day 2 - and get a good cardio workout in. Try that. Don't workout while you are cramping or nauseated.

If you are nauseated, that's your hormones! Take a magnesium and calcium supplement - don't worry about ODing on that! Nausea is a symptom of being deficient in Magnesium and B vitamins. Migranes are another clue. So, day 1 and 2 hammer the Magnesium and water!

Your hormones that cause you to shed your lining during your shark week (http://totallylookslike.icanhascheezburger.com/2009/03/03/shark-brain-totally-looks-like-vagina/)
    are also going to cause you to be weak in your muscles. DO NOT STRENGTH TRAIN on your day before and during your period! Muscles will be so weak that you can actually cause stress to your ligaments and tendons. Once those are stretched, unlike muscles, they do not repair themselves.

Do cardio, aerobics, and toning only during shark week.

I also make sure that my flow is normal throughout my week and monitor flow with a menstrul cup. Good luck and happy workouts.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I use to take the 4 advils but they stopped working so using Midol currently even if it takes a few hrs to work. I try to sit as still as possible at work. :) LoL

Caffeinne causes increased circulation in the uterus. You should take painkillers that reduce swelling, with out caffeinne to prevent cramping. There is a large vein that passes through your uterus, and if you digest alcohol, caffeinne, too much vit. e, and other foods that cause your circulatory system to dialate (open up), your flow will increase and it will be difficult to stop cramping.

Also, if you have cramping for more than a few minutes at at time throughout one or two days at the top of your shark week, you should get a doc to check to make sure you do not have cysts or internal plumbling obstructions that the body is trying to naturally eliminate. I had that problem, and what a difference after a clean up surgery!
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I have a chronic pain condition and my pain is very bad, despite the bevy of medications that I take, so I suck it up just to get through life every day. Still, I don't workout the first couple of days of my cycle.

The reason is twofold. My cramps are bad the first day, along with extreme fatigue and the cramps are even worse the second day. I can barely sit up. I take three Vicodin, two Neurotin, and 9-12 Advil per day for the pinched nerve that I have along my spine, so if my cramps are so horrible with my taking that much medication, then you know it's bad.

And even if I didn't have cramps, the flow on day two is so ridiculously heavy that it's gross just to walk. I already feel disgusting on that day and there's no way I'm going to exercise and cause the flow to increase, along with sweating heavily. Just ugh.

Anyway, if you don't feel like working out, just don't. There's no law and missing a day or two out of a month won't kill you. Or you could make the days up when you're feeling better. I always make up one of the two days that I miss.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Do you ever feel so bad that you can't do your normal workout sessions?

I know for me all through high school I would throw up once a month from the cramps. Just to get going in the mornings I have to take either four Advil or lately been doing 2 Midols the first two days. Then I feel a little better in the evening.

Just trying to decide if I feel up to working out tonight. I know people says it helps with the cramps but I sometimes feel fine during then worst after I'm done.

What do you do?

This is not normal or typical. I would recommend a birth control that stops or lightens your period, if you are really experiencing these symptoms. Women often hear that the TOM is a huge inconvenience but don't know when it's serious enough to seek medical intervention. In your case, I would talk to a gynecologist about mitigating your symptoms.

I had a similar case. Super tired...10 day periods. I was ALWAYS anemic. I couldn't prevent accidents, no matter how many different products and solutions I tried. Medical intervention has changed my life.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

It's not rude. We're how old? How long as we been bleeding every month? And we STILL need to cry about it? REALLY? It'll be over in a week. Suck it up.

If it's honestly that freakin bad, go to a doctor. Get on birth control to help lighten your period.

If you have a problem with people seeking support and advice for their medical complaints and other issues, then you don't have to read them and you certainly don't have to respond. You were rude, and neither supportive nor helpful in any way. If you can't see this, you really should ask yourself "We're how old?" and think about how much more mature you should probably be by now.

Grow up.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options

To OP's question, I would do light workout and listen to my body. I have noticed that little movement (if I'm not too much in pain) will help a bit with the cramps :)

I agree, BCP are not the answer to everything. A friend of mine cannot take any form of them - they just make her crazy. I do not use hormonal birth control. There are alternatives that are better for your physical and mental health, as well as for the environment.