Sugar in milk

13»

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    You really need to learn to read! The advice isn't mine, it's by Phil Learney (which I said at the end of my first post!) who is one of the most respected Strength and Conditioning coaches and educates in the UK.

Kellogg's isn't the only brand that makes corn flakes. And since when were corn flakes healthy?

I'm not trying to "shoot smack". I'm just giving opinions which I agree with and work for me. If yours work for you, then by all means go and continue doing it. Don't argue with people and name call.

EDIT: Also, I note that you have no reply to my first two sections of the post and therefore admit you were wrong.

This is my final say on the matter. Goodnight.

I didn't address your first two sections because they were asinine. Not because I was wrong. But, here you go:

I used corn flakes as an example of a product made by Kellogg's. I never addressed whether or not they were healthy. I simply made the observation that apparently a particular brand of food is illegal in this country where smack is legal. I did not accuse you of trying to use intravenous drugs and don't understand what that has to do with you giving opinions.

It might have made the source of your post more clear if you had started by saying it was the opinion of some anti-milk guru you blindly follow rather than placing a vague line at the end.

Whey protein powder is made by taking out one of the proteins that exists in .... wait for it..... MILK. It is protein from milk so yes, it is a better source of protein than plain milk but only because it is just the fcking protein from the milk.

Water is not a good alternative to milk for anything.

There.

I'm going to assume since you said you weren't going to respond any more that you are admitting you were wrong.

But I bet you'll be back. Almost everyone who says they're done in a thread is a liar.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Great, I've reached my limit on sugar for the day and its only lunch time. Why? Because I had a cup of milk. 16 grams of sugar. 16! Is there milk out there that has less sugar? Perhaps organic, soy, almond milk? Or is milk sugar natural and not as bad as processed sugar? HELP!

Why are you limiting yourself to 16 grams of sugar? Are you diabetic? If so, then check with your doctor. These days, the common wisdom is to watch total carbs, not just sugars. And the general rule is no more than 30-40 grams in one sitting, not to exceed 120 grams per day.

ETA: And if you're not a diabetic, then don't bother tracking sugar at all.

And even if you are..... I'm a type 2 diabetic and have never track sugar period... My Nutritionist told me in the beginning, use the KISS method "Keep it Simple Stupid" so when watching my macro's my Carbs are first, followed by Protein, and lastly Fats..... Beyond that she always told me if I am eating right the rest will fall into place... Best of Luck

Good point! :flowerforyou:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    It's lactose. It has a high glycemic index, but a low glycemic load.
    And most people can't digest it anyway after a certain age. The Almond milk would be a better option.

That is just not true, especially for people of European descent.
  • I too go over on sugar every day. I have Gastroparesis and on my diet (low fat and low fiber) I have to eat 5-7 times a day. I have to watch my portion size, fat, and fiber it's also recommended to watch the sugar because it can feed the bad bacteria in your gut. But if I eat one yogurt it has 14g of sugar, add a glass of 2% milk is 10 or 12 that's already 3/4 of my sugar for the day. It's tough because I can't eat a lot of fruits and veggies.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    I like milk. :love:

gisele-got-milk-e1280846285360.jpg
  • nickiog
    nickiog Posts: 187 Member
    this.
    Skim milk has more sugar than whole milk. That's why I never drink sissy *kitten* skim milk.
  • The reason I went to 2% is because I have to watch my fat intake. It's kind of hard to spread everything out over 5 mini meals a day and make them all nutrient rich. But I'm learning :happy: Another thing I'm finding is that I am low on calories every day.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member

no problem using whey protein and water as a substitute for milk.

Because whey comes from the organic whey bush only produced in the highest regions of the Himalayas and handpicked by specially chosen Monks?

Whey is one of the most processed dairy products you're going to get!
  • imjustdelaney
    imjustdelaney Posts: 1 Member
    I wouldn't touch milk as a source of protein, carbs or as a rehydration source. It has insufficient enzymes due to pasteurization and/or heat treatment. The protein isn't high quality for the same reasons and WAY too low for most people’s requirements; even if it's high enough you can't digest it without the suitable enzyme activity. Lactose is a BAD source of carbs and poor sugar (for the same above reasons, most westerners can't tolerate lactose) and by skimming it you increase the net content of them. As for it being isotonic there are very few studies collaborate this and the bioavailability of those nutrients is VERY questionable. I don't allow ANY of my clients’ milk for this reason. Cereal and Milk are one of the major catalysts to the health state we are in IMO and you're also funding companies that thrive on profit before welfare of its consumers. Kellogg’s products have been banned in Denmark since 2004 as an interesting point.

If you do have to have milk: Almond Milk, Oat Milk or plain old water to make oats I see as valid substitutes. Certainly not Soy or Soya milk. If it was my kids I would have no problem using whey protein and water as a substitute for milk. Get a nice natural type. This would create uproar am sure but considering whey is one of the main ingredients in baby formula I wouldn't hesitate to bring down the people saying 'oooohhh you can't give a child that'. To me that just shows the ignorance and lack of attention you had when bringing up your child as to 'What' you where actually feeding them.

Phil Learney's advice!

Milk is bad because it's so highly processed so let's use whey protein powder.

Sounds legit.

What the fck do you think whey is? How is it less processed than the jug of milk in the store?

If you have to have milk use water? Really? That sounds almost as intelligent as suggesting iceberg lettuce for a good filling source of protein.

Where are your facts that "most westerners can't tolerate lactose"?

Note to self: avoid Denmark. No cereal and milk allowed.

Fact: Cow milk was designed to grow a calf to 1000 pounds. That's why I drink more of it on leg day.
    It's science, yo.

This reply, plus a rifle in the profile pic...I like this dude! :-P
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Okayyyyy... 6 month old thread.
  • totally agree with this - i drink soya lattes from starbucks, so much nicer than skimmed milk and only 8g of sugar over 16-18! I only realised milk had sugar in it today, but I don't get enough dairy so i'm not going to cut it out completely..