How do you tell your child that Santa isn't real?

Options
124»

Replies

• PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    My mom still likes to act like Santa is real - I am 34 years old and I am the youngest.

What is the need in telling him?

We didn't always get the name brands or exactly what we wanted and no one cared and was thankful for what we did get. My parents made sure of that by having us take a Christmas dinner and presents to a less fortunate family.

Don't take the magic away from Christmas! Doesn't matter if Santa is real or not...there is a more important reason we celebrate Christmas after all.

THIS! When I had the whole "Santa" discussion with my oldest, he already knew, but he really enjoyed playing along for his younger sister. ;) I always have them take tags off the Salvation Army trees and we make regular donations to our local domestic violence shelter.

I will probably have the same talk with my daughter and then we'll come up with a "let's play Santa" activity! :)
  • countrydarling1
    countrydarling1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Don't do anything!!! Once the magic of Christmas is gone the holiday just won't be the same. Let him believe as long as he can, the world is jaded enough without taking that away.

I totally agree!! I know my oldest knows, he is 11, but my kids have to believe in Santa, atleast the spirit of Santa, if they dont believe or atleast pretend they dont get any presents from Santa & that is usually the biggest 1! When i was a kid i told ppl i believed up until i became a parent & i still believe in the spirit. Teach your kids to stand up for themselves, dont coddle them. They r gonna get picked on at 1 point in there lives, teach them to deal w it & not be the victum.
  • Kalrez
    Kalrez Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    2158.jpg-254x300.jpg

QFT.
  • jjbraid
    jjbraid Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Don't know what to day here. My daughter freaked out at an early age that a "stranger" was in her house while she was sleeping. The Easter Bunny, Santa, and especially the Tooth Fairy didn't exist at an early age. My daughter wouldn't even look under her pillow because she thought someone came in her room when she was asleeep. Makes total sense when I think about it. Why do we tell our kids that someone comes into their room when they are sleeping?
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Santa gives the best gifts ever!! Santa is alive and well!!! He just isn't some old fat guy with a nappy beard. She's a sexy siren who ate one too many of those cookies and is now on mfp lol!
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    My child believed for quite some time because I used to tell him "Santa brings the presents, but he sends Mom and Dad the bill".

You might try getting the text of "Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Clause" and read it to him.
  • leasah
    leasah Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I will never deny the existence of Santa to my daughter. :laugh:

I'm gonna stay up late and stick presents under the tree until she is in college! :drinker:
    [/quote

Love it, Im with you! My daughter is 9 and has asked some and we just tell her that it is a magical time of year, reminder her of the real reason for the season and leave it at that.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    My mom still likes to act like Santa is real - I am 34 years old and I am the youngest.

What is the need in telling him?

We didn't always get the name brands or exactly what we wanted and no one cared and was thankful for what we did get. My parents made sure of that by having us take a Christmas dinner and presents to a less fortunate family.

Don't take the magic away from Christmas! Doesn't matter if Santa is real or not...there is a more important reason we celebrate Christmas after all.

I can't believe that the magic of xmas will be lost because the man in the suit is a lie??? I still find xmas magical and i was never lied to!!!

y lie to your children???

I agree. My kids always understood that the real reason we celebrate Christmas is because of the birth of Christ. They still look forward to opening one gift on Christmas eve and the rest on Christmas morning.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    Oops. I read the rest of the posts. Running to get some shin guards. :bigsmile:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

wifeteeny.gif
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    i am looking forward to reading the answers to this
    my kids aren't at the age to tell them the truth yet.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

*LOL* Always come prepared :)
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My son accidentally found the list of "Santa" gifts at his grandparents home when I shipped them for Christmas morning. I then explained that we are all part of the magic of Christmas..... children are the receivers of the magic and those of us who are older create the magic.

Oh, and I had a boss who told her kids if they stopped believing in Santa, there would be no gifts. They were 10/11 at the time, don't know how that's working now that they are teens.
  • teri1956
    teri1956 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    You don't need to tell him. He has either figured it out or he will soon.

My daughter used to leave a Ham Sandwich and a double bourbon on the rocks out on Christmas Eve for Santa. She's 17 and she still does.

That's one cool Santa!
  • Katherine1687
    Katherine1687 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Ask him what he really thinks about Santa.

My children used to ask if he was real. I never answered but asked them what they thought. At first they said they thought he was real. When they said they thought it was us I said they were correct as they were ready.

I suspect you son already knows or has at least heard rumours. I agree that you need to tell him before he goes to secondary school but it needs to be done gently. Does he have younger siblings or cousins? Can you recruit him into the secret keeping side to keep it special?

Even though my boys know the truth they still get presents from Santa. It keeps it fun.
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    you could do what my mom did when she got sick of it. i was in 2nd grade, happily tearing into my gifts when i noticed a price tag from toys r us on a yatzee game. i asked why it had a price tag when santa had all the elves to make everything. she calmly asked me what i thought it meant. after a minute of staring at it i got it and then asked if that meant the easter bunny and tooth fairy weren't real either. she killed 3 birds with 1 stone!