if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Options

Replies

• kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Eh. I disagree. Some people think expressing different opinions from theirs is the same as being "rude" and is "not saying anything nice". I say communicate how you want to communicate, as long as it's functional and effective and/or thought provoking.

But that's just me.

If I only ever heard from people who agree with me and kiss my butt and are scared to tell me the truth, even if it's harsh, I'd probably puke.

Exactermondo. life is full of opinions and is made up of people from different backgrounds, with different experiences, different ways of communicating, different motivations. Embrace it. It does no one any harm to hear something negative once in a while! When it becomes bullying thats a different story, but if you have managed to go you entire adult life without being offended once in a while, then you need to get out a little more and grow a thicker skin!
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    I would want someone to tell me when I am wrong about something or being stupid..whether it be in a rude way or not. It is there intentions that count, right?
    Not everyone can express themselves like a Hallmark card.

And just as you think rude folks are coming to the board, I think overly sensitive folks are coming onto the board. Sensitive folks who can't or won't face the facts that what they are doing or have been doing is just plain wrong..instead they want someone to coddle them and tell them "good job, keep your chin, it will all change" when it won't because they have no clue what they are doing.

Depression is not cured by people being nice to you the whole time. It is an internal depletion of serotonin which causes a chemical imbalance. If you are feeling depressed it is not anyone else's fault any more than it is your own. And yes I do understand it, many in my family have it so I have dealt with it all my life.

Yeah I am sensitive, I have depression - so what is that any of your business? No? Don't like what something write you can simply not reply rather than being rude can you not.

so what you wrote is not rude? I stated an opinion to your complaint of folks being rude. I dont know squat about your personal issues nor did I take the time to go look but it sounds like you posted it for the world to see. Did you think everyone would be teddy bears and roses to you? Not likely, there are always those who love to see misery in others and use that to make themselves feel better.
    Like it is stated before me, maybe write a personal journal or something to purge.

And no matter what it is, it gets better, promise you that.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    "Depression is not cured by people being nice to you the whole time. It is an internal depletion of serotonin which causes a chemical imbalance. If you are feeling depressed it is not anyone else's fault any more than it is your own. And yes I do understand it, many in my family have it so I have dealt with it all my life."

I'm not saying it is a cure, but just saying it doesn't exactly help...
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    so now i don't get it. are we talking about you and your mental health issues, or are we talking about people's attitudes?

sometimes people write things on here that are just plain rude. i personally don't post many topics because i don't want to have to deal with that response. i'll generally stick with asking my friends. but when someone else posts a topic they're usually asking for opinions. and if i want to respond then i will. and if someone is being a ****wit, then i'll tell them. it's not my responsibility to protect someone else's feelings.

if you're particularly sensitive at the moment other people aren't going to know that unless you say (but i haven't read your other posts). and even then it's probably not going to evoke too much sympathy because everyone else has their own lives to deal with too, and cannot take any responsibility about how you may or may not respond to something you may or may not want to hear.

if you need someone to listen, a depression specific website may be more useful to you (we have one called depression.org.nz) to talk to other who have been there. or counselling. or a psychiatrist.

but as much as it pains me to say it, you probably aren't going to get the sympathy or empathy you may be needing from here.

the other thing is that i'd stay away from asking stuff about your personal life- this is 'myfitnesspal', not 'myreligiouspal' (i really hate when people start to preach about god), or 'mylifesuckspal'. it's a support place to ask about diet and exercise- get tips, use the search function for eating back exercise cals, ask about how to improve your running times. that is what this is about. and when you ask those questions (apart from the exercise cals ones) people can only be supportive and give useful advice.

i hope you find your happiness, and always hold onto that hope that things will improve- things have been better before and there's no reason why they can't get better again. good luck with your journey.
  • Lizzy_Sunflower
    Lizzy_Sunflower Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    So many more rude ppl are making there ways onto the message board.
    You have MAYBE half of the picture, so what gives you the right to be so freaking rude?

kthx

Jeez... not YOU again... :grumble:

you sure do complain a lot... how about this for a thought

try not using the forums for your personal therapy/venting board

it's the interwebs, people are mean, sarcastic, and misinformed

want an answer to a specific question???? try google

just sayin
  • EuroDriver
    EuroDriver Posts: 254
    Options
    You have MAYBE half of the picture, so what gives you the right to be so freaking rude?

kthx

just sayin

true... and true about everything else people have said... don't sit on forums if you are so sensitive u get ur feelings hurt by people who live 8500Miles away from you!!!

like previous poster already said.. some like to be cuddled and snuggled told they are number 1 little sweetie pies that never do anything wrong and blame everything on "issiues" and someone else because thats how they were raised by their parents.... well the other half.. when we were younger we were told to smarten the *kitten* up and get *kitten* done or we are not going to get anywhere in life... and thats though love.. works for me... works for many others... thats what i believe in and thats just my oppinion....

as for your post.. yeah ur doing same things as rest of us are.. YOUR TELLING US YOUR OPPINION!!!
  • RocketsGirl75
    Options

kthx

just sayin

bwaahaaaaa! go get 'em Lizzy!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options

kthx

just sayin

^^what she said
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    (Just kidding - I couldn't resist).
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    I would want someone to tell me when I am wrong about something or being stupid..whether it be in a rude way or not. It is there intentions that count, right?
    Not everyone can express themselves like a Hallmark card.

And just as you think rude folks are coming to the board, I think overly sensitive folks are coming onto the board. Sensitive folks who can't or won't face the facts that what they are doing or have been doing is just plain wrong..instead they want someone to coddle them and tell them "good job, keep your chin, it will all change" when it won't because they have no clue what they are doing.

Yeah I am sensitive, I have depression - so what is that any of your business? No? Don't like what something write you can simply not reply rather than being rude can you not.

Actually sweetheart, I'd like to point out that he may not have been talking about you. I think at this point, you're the one being rude for getting snotty when he was simply stating his opinion, and never said anything about you specifically being sensitive.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I think there are some threads that are more serious than others, and those threads should/could be taken with a little more caution, but overall, this is a forum and there are going to be a vast difference of opinions. It happens. If you do not want to deal with it, don't post something on here, because everyone is going to have and give their opinion, epsecially when asked to give an opinion.

I was recently told I am skinny, so I could not possibly know anything about health and nutrition. Um.... really?!? But, see, I actually DO know about it, but do you think I let what that one simpelton said about me ruin my day/week/life? Nah. I laughed it off. That person didn't/doesn't know me, what I know, where I've come from or where I'm going.

Honesty does not equate to rudeness. Being silly also does not equate to be rude. In other words, it is what it is - wonderful world of webs. Choose your battles.....
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Eh. I disagree. Some people think expressing different opinions from theirs is the same as being "rude" and is "not saying anything nice". I say communicate how you want to communicate, as long as it's functional and effective and/or thought provoking.

But that's just me.

If I only ever heard from people who agree with me and kiss my butt and are scared to tell me the truth, even if it's harsh, I'd probably puke.

I agree with this. I dont want to be told what I want to hear, but what I need to hear, plain and simple.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options

kthx

*THEIR* not there......just sayin'
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options

kthx

just sayin

Yep.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    OP, you're being childish with your Mary Poppins wisdom.

yeah. i said it.
  • futurefitgirl88
    Options
    uh oh its like I'm having a de ja vu!!! There was a similar thread yesterday that got deleted.

Advice to OP: MFP is not the place for you if you cannot stomach opinions.....
  • brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Also, I found the post you were talking about. He wasn't being rude. He was trying to say that it's not a job shortage, it's a skills shortage. If your skills aren't high enough right now, you're going to get laid off and replaced with someone who can do the job better, for the same amount of money. It's a simple fact. People right now are trying to get as much work done as well as they can for the least amount of money. Just to make it clear, I am not, nor do I think that person was saying that you are unskilled--just not as skilled as someone else. There is always going to be someone better than you at something, even if you're really good at it yourself, which you may be.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Two words...

Grow up.

That is all.
This discussion has been closed.