What was your wake-up call to lose weight?

Options
I've had several such as discovering I was borderline high with blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure, plus seeing the reality of what I really looked like from photos taken at my daughter's wedding last year. Also getting stuck briefly in a booth at a restaurant. No one else noticed but for a minute I wasn't sure if I could get out.

Another big one was when I discovered I was just a few pounds away from 300.

What was your wake-up call?

Replies

• christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    weighing myself the morning of January 1st, 2011 and realizing I was 210 pounds and not happy about it. Also seeing TERRIBLE pictures of myself. Now that I'm 170, I never want to go back there!
  • HisBeloved65
    Options
    I've had a few such as discovering I was borderline high with blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure, plus seeing the reality of what I really looked like from photos taken at my daughter's wedding last year. Also getting stuck briefly in a booth at a restaurant. No one else noticed but for a minute I wasn't sure if I could get out.

What was your wake-up cal?

Not being able to fit in my 1X jeans. I promised I would never get to the x's. Also taking the stairs at work and having to take a long break when I got to the top because I couldn't breathe. Also couldnt keep up with my grandkids and that breaks my heart. Now I am doing the slip and slide, playing duck duck goose and bike riding :-)
  • momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    weighing myself the morning of January 1st, 2011 and realizing I was 210 pounds and not happy about it. Also seeing TERRIBLE pictures of myself. Now that I'm 170, I never want to go back there!

175 is my goal. I'm inspired by your success!
  • kristinaohno
    kristinaohno Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I didn't fit into my bridesmaid dress I have to wear at the end of September for my sister's wedding. My mom said to me last Friday, "you're sister will be so heartbroken if you cannot be in her wedding because you can't fit in your dress". And it hit me the next morning, she's right. I would never want to hurt my sister on her day. And since last Saturday morning, I've counted all my calories, exercised everyday but one day (my body wasn't having it), lost 2.5lbs and lost a lot of inches. It was a great motivation and I'm going to keep going even after the wedding. I have to be in my other sister's wedding (they're twins) and I want to look great in those pictures. And for my health. I have MS and I was told last May, when I was diagnosed, that I had to lose a sufficient amount of weight. I am proud to say, I finally feel great and can't wait to see what I can do with my weight loss journey.
  • momcindy
    Options
    Not being able to fit in my 1X jeans. I promised I would never get to the x's. Also taking the stairs at work and having to take a long break when I got to the top because I couldn't breathe. Also couldnt keep up with my grandkids and that breaks my heart. Now I am doing the slip and slide, playing duck duck goose and bike riding :-)

I don't have grandkids yet but I do want to be able to be a fun grandma when that happens! And I look forward to being out of the "x's" too.
  • mazza2marilyn
    Options
    1) diabeties
    2) high blood pressure
    3) pmr
    4) lupus
    5) photos of my retirement party
    6) my 5 year old grandson asking if nanna had eaten all the pie
    7) i could carry on but don't want to bore you,
  • momcindy
    Options
    I didn't fit into my bridesmaid dress I have to wear at the end of September for my sister's wedding. My mom said to me last Friday, "you're sister will be so heartbroken if you cannot be in her wedding because you can't fit in your dress". And it hit me the next morning, she's right. I would never want to hurt my sister on her day. And since last Saturday morning, I've counted all my calories, exercised everyday but one day (my body wasn't having it), lost 2.5lbs and lost a lot of inches. It was a great motivation and I'm going to keep going even after the wedding. I have to be in my other sister's wedding (they're twins) and I want to look great in those pictures. And for my health. I have MS and I was told last May, when I was diagnosed, that I had to lose a sufficient amount of weight. I am proud to say, I finally feel great and can't wait to see what I can do with my weight loss journey.

Great motivation to lose weight. Weddings will do it every time! lol I'm glad it is helping you manage the MS as well.
  • momcindy
    Options
    1) diabeties
    2) high blood pressure
    3) pmr
    4) lupus
    5) photos of my retirement party
    6) my 5 year old grandson asking if nanna had eaten all the pie
    7) i could carry on but don't want to bore you,

Nothing boring about your list. Good for you for deciding to do something about it!
  • TheShelterCat
    Options
    Seeing pictures of myself and people asking if I was pregnant. :grumble:
  • evanslawn
    evanslawn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Seeing pictures of myself - had no idea I looked like that - see something different in the mirror!
  • antioneca
    Options
    Realizing that somewhere between the first of the year and now i put on 15 pounds. It was heartbreaking because i really want to be happy with my outer appearance as i hit 30 next year. I think i figured out that i can be an emotional eater which is not good.
  • antioneca
    Options
    Realizing that somewhere between the first of the year and now i put on 15 pounds. It was heartbreaking because i really want to be happy with my outer appearance as i hit 30 next year. I think i figured out that i can be an emotional eater which is not good.
  • momcindy
    Options
    Seeing pictures of myself and people asking if I was pregnant. :grumble:

Most people realize I'm probably too old to be pregnant but the sad truth is I look more pregnant than pregnant women. I carry most of my weight in my middle.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    When i was asked if I was prego and I've never been. I new I was a little over weight but it just didn't occur to me how much. then I when for my yearly physical and my Dr. told me I was considered obese. Oooch. That was my wake up call that I was unhealthy.
  • momcindy
    Options

I struggle with emotional eating too. Yesterday was so bad I ended up deleting my food diary for the day and have started fresh today. We always get a chance to start over.
  • kirsty0911
    kirsty0911 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think it was a combination of a few things -

Seeing pictures of myself and HATING them
    Knowing not only was I big, I was actually obese
    Sick of putting on a 'face' to everyone to hide the fact I hated my body so much. I always tried to be the funny, jokey one
  • momcindy
    Options
    Seeing pictures of myself - had no idea I looked like that - see something different in the mirror!

Isn't that the truth? I confess I sat down and cried when I looked through the photo proofs from my daughter's wedding. I was stunned.
  • momcindy
    Options
    I think it was a combination of a few things -

Seeing pictures of myself and HATING them
    Knowing not only was I big, I was actually obese
    Sick of putting on a 'face' to everyone to hide the fact I hated my body so much. I always tried to be the funny, jokey one

Me too. I totally get what you're saying.
  • momcindy
    Options
    When i was asked if I was prego and I've never been. I new I was a little over weight but it just didn't occur to me how much. then I when for my yearly physical and my Dr. told me I was considered obese. Oooch. That was my wake up call that I was unhealthy.

I've had to face the word "obese" too. It does sound worse than "overweight" but I have to face the truth.
  • jnurse44
    Options
    I am tired all the time, joints hurt walking up the stairs and I hated the way I look in pictures! I have never been athletic and at 44 realized I want to be strong, healthy, and looking good for the 2nd half of my life!