What was your wake-up call to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• momcindy
    momcindy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    a picture tagged on Facebook of me. I hadn't seen 'me' in a long time. I realized then that I usually just looked at my face in the mirror and never the rest of me. Then when I started MFP, I realized I was less than 10# from being 'obese'. EEK. I'm so glad I started this and plan to contine eating better and exercising forever.

I've told my kids that I do not want them posting pictures of me on their FB pages without my permission! lol! They understand my struggle so I don't think they'd post anything embarassing but still...
  • momcindy
    Options
    when i hit 218 and realized I was 30 p0ounds heavier than I was the day BEFORE I had my 3rd baby! OMG.. aweful feeling of failure and shame. When I found out I had thyroid cancer, I really let myself go. I just didn't care. I felt horrible and I looked as bad as I felt. I had to be strong to take care of my kids, mostly on my own, so I couln't outwardly complain, so my way of telling everyone how I was feeling was showing it on the outside. BAD. The change came when my thoughts about myself and life changed. I'm worth the effort. My kids deserve a mom who has fun WITH them, not just watching them. Here i am 45 pounds gone and I feel so great. I'm not to my goal yet, but I'm on my way!!

I'm inspired by your success so far, especially after thyroid cancer. You are definitely worth the effort. I think sometimes when we feel bad we forget to give ourselves the same grace we extend to others.
  • momcindy
    Options
    Earlier in the year, my cycle became very erratic. After some tests, the doctor said I wasn't ovulating and that it was almost certainly due to being so overweight.

I was devastated. I had never even thought about wanting children, but the thought of that choice being taken away from me because I was too lazy to look after myself really hit home.

Since that visit with the doctor, I have lost 30kg (I'm Australian - not sure of the pounds) and everything is back on track with my new body :)

Good job! Proof that a wake-up call can have a positive outcome!
  • hockeymom180
    hockeymom180 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Realizing that my actual weight was 20 pounds over what I thought my (already overweight) weight was. It was an instant and firm conversion -- something needed to change. Now I'm approaching the weight I thought I was, and am exciting to keep the loss going.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    When I found out I have type 2 diabetes & then later on hypertension that caused me to be rejected in a job that I was applying for.
  • momcindy
    Options
    Omg the Superman thing totally happened to me too like a few years ago. It was so embarrassing! My wake up call has been trying to get out into the dating world only to find that being fat just doesn't do it for most guys... Also I want to shop anywhere! I hate having to shop for big ugly clothes, I want tiny pretty things! So really it's just been a build up for me and, and seeing myself in pictures, also huge, literally! Hopefully with the support of the great people on MFP and some real commitment on my part I can lose the weight.

Clothes are a good motivation. I'm ready to trade in "Omar the Tentmaker" for a more stylish designer.
  • momcindy
    Options
    When I found out I have type 2 diabetes & then later on hypertension that caused me to be rejected in a job that I was applying for.

As I get older, health is a huge motivation for me. I'm still a mom at home but to be honest, I'm not sure I could get a job either because of my weight even though I'm qualified to do a lot of things.
  • bens_mommy
    bens_mommy Posts: 219
    Options
    My wake-up call was that I didn't have enough energy to keep up with my toddler son. I got so overwhelmed so quickly because of how exhausted I was, and he doesn't deserve to be put through that because mommy was so stressed. It's been gradual, but I'm able to keep up with him now (even if I still crash like a freight train after he's down for the night!).

That, and my sister is 5'11" and weighs 128 pounds. I'm 5'8" and weigh 185. Frankly, I was tired of feeling like a blob next to my gorgeous sister (even if she loves me no matter what and would kill me if she knew I was comparing myself to her :blushing: ).
  • momcindy
    Options
    Realizing that my actual weight was 20 pounds over what I thought my (already overweight) weight was. It was an instant and firm conversion -- something needed to change. Now I'm approaching the weight I thought I was, and am exciting to keep the loss going.

Me too. Every time I got on the scale until recently I convinced myself there was something wrong with it, not me.
  • momcindy
    Options
    My wake-up call was that I didn't have enough energy to keep up with my toddler son. I got so overwhelmed so quickly because of how exhausted I was, and he doesn't deserve to be put through that because mommy was so stressed. It's been gradual, but I'm able to keep up with him now (even if I still crash like a freight train after he's down for the night!).

That, and my sister is 5'11" and weighs 128 pounds. I'm 5'8" and weigh 185. Frankly, I was tired of feeling like a blob next to my gorgeous sister (even if she loves me no matter what and would kill me if she knew I was comparing myself to her :blushing: ).

I totally understand. I used to be the skinny one in the family, now I'm the fattest. I'm not in competition with my siblings or anyone else, but I don't want to hold that title anymore. Also, a few years ago I babysat for my great-nephew from 3 months old until he started daycare at 7 months old and it just about did me in carrying him around and then trying to keep up with him when he started crawling. I adored him but just couldn't take it physically.
  • theresamommyof4
    theresamommyof4 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    1) diabeties
    2) high blood pressure
    3) pmr
    4) lupus
    5) photos of my retirement party
    6) my 5 year old grandson asking if nanna had eaten all the pie
    7) i could carry on but don't want to bore you,

Oh! #6 cracked me up! I love it! My kids used to always ask if I had gobbled up what was left of the sweets! Of course, I always had :) Now, everyone knows it was Daddy who did, not me :D
  • sweetsapphire85
    Options
    1) outgrowing my moderately "skinny jeans"
    2) looking at the scale knowing I should get on it but never wanting to look at that number
    3) Seeing double digit sizes in pants that are cut bigger than most brands
    4) When stepping on the scale i was over 150 at 5'1" and promised myself I'd never go over that even if I was pregnant (which is definitely NOT the case)
    5) taking multiple pictures to find the most slimming ones, and cropping photos before i let people see them.
    6) high blood pressure (which i'm realizing is not controlled by weight or sodium sadly :frown: )
  • momcindy
    Options
    I couldn't wipe myself after going to the bathroom. I cried and cried over that.

I've been close to that situation too. The good news is, we're no longer there.
  • fatgirl1984
    Options
    I am a newly-wed girl,

I knew I had to get those pounds off when my husband lovingly said to me "I love you. I want to grow old with you and live a long, healthy life with you."
    I needed to change my lifestyle to lose weight. I knew that but I needed something more to sustain that change, to accept that change and to live with that change.

And that something more came from my marriage.
    I have been writing a blog about my weight-loss too.
    You can read more about my wake-up call in my post called "The Change"
    http://fightingmygenes.blogspot.com/2011/07/change.html

If you like it, do comment & follow me on my blog.
  • momcindy
    Options
    1) outgrowing my moderately "skinny jeans"
    2) looking at the scale knowing I should get on it but never wanting to look at that number
    3) Seeing double digit sizes in pants that are cut bigger than most brands
    4) When stepping on the scale i was over 150 at 5'1" and promised myself I'd never go over that even if I was pregnant (which is definitely NOT the case)
    5) taking multiple pictures to find the most slimming ones, and cropping photos before i let people see them.
    6) high blood pressure (which i'm realizing is not controlled by weight or sodium sadly :frown: )

I remember years ago sitting on the floor of a dressing room, in tears, because I needed a size 14 jeans. What I wouldn't give to be back in that size now! lol But seriously, I do know what you mean about that and also the pictures.
  • Tegan74
    Tegan74 Posts: 202
    Options
    My oldest daughter graduated from high school this year. When I realized that I had NOTHING but jeans and crappy t-shirts to wear, I was upset. When I went to buy something and was a size BIGGER than I thought I was, that did it. I had been saying I want to go to the gym and change what I eat, that night I went home and told my hubby I'm going to join the gym tomorrow. The pictures that were taken that night are painful too look at for me ~ an I hate to say this but I look way to much like my mothers pictures when she was my age. She is now somewhere over 300lbs and refuses to do anything about it. I refuse to let me self get that over weight!
  • momcindy
    Options
    I am a newly-wed girl,

I knew I had to get those pounds off when my husband lovingly said to me "I love you. I want to grow old with you and live a long, healthy life with you."
    I needed to change my lifestyle to lose weight. I knew that but I needed something more to sustain that change, to accept that change and to live with that change.

And that something more came from my marriage.
    I have been writing a blog about my weight-loss too.
    You can read more about my wake-up call in my post called "The Change"
    http://fightingmygenes.blogspot.com/2011/07/change.html

If you like it, do comment & follow me on my blog.

I'll check out your blog. I'm a blogger too.

Being married to someone who really cares is a good motivation. I've been married 33 years and my dear hubby is so supportive and has never criticized me. I really want to give him back the healthier girl he married years ago.
  • momcindy
    Options
    My oldest daughter graduated from high school this year. When I realized that I had NOTHING but jeans and crappy t-shirts to wear, I was upset. When I went to buy something and was a size BIGGER than I thought I was, that did it. I had been saying I want to go to the gym and change what I eat, that night I went home and told my hubby I'm going to join the gym tomorrow. The pictures that were taken that night are painful too look at for me ~ an I hate to say this but I look way to much like my mothers pictures when she was my age. She is now somewhere over 300lbs and refuses to do anything about it. I refuse to let me self get that over weight!

I can hear the determination in your "voice" and I know you'll succeed. Pictures are a great motivation.
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    There wasn’t ONE thing that made me suddenly decide to do something about my imposing bulkitude as such; it was more a series of events that had been brewing for a while.

For full details you can visit my Blog post on this issue, is you're curious :bigsmile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/kyle4jem/view/so-why-the-sudden-change-of-heart-139431
  • CaitlinMyers428
    CaitlinMyers428 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Not being able to wear my clothes I had before I got pregnant and my boyfriends ex called me fat. Plus, I want to be healthy and set a good example of eating right for my daughter.