Eating healthy is privilege of the rich?

Options

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I'm broke as ****.

But my grocery bill went for $100/wk to about $30/wk when I started eating healthier. Clean is cheap. It's all that processed **** that makes your bill go up.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    personally my grocery bill is triple what it used to be because of my change of diet... which is a bummer but worth it
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    disagree. we're certainly not rich, but i think we generally buy pretty healthy food!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Disaggree completely.

Healthy eating does cost more than stuffing your face with KFC, but you by no means have to be rich, by any definition of the word.
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    our bills went up significantly eating healthier choices. I also think so many runs to the grocery store for fresh fruit, etc. It's annoying as we used to do once a week. Now we're there 2 or 3 times.

'annoying' that you have to go more than once a week for a top-up suggests you don't perhaps appreciate how food should be a pleasant part of your life.

Wow, you are really rude. Yes it's annoying and no, I'm not lazy. I exercise at least 1 hour a day and work about 12 hours a day. So yes, it's annoying to have to keep running to the grocery store. Especially when I cannot drive right now due to a medical condition. I'm perfectly fit and in shape as is my husband. We obviously appreicate how food should be a part of our lives. Sometimes I wonder why I am on here.

Yes, it's something we have to do to survive, but like breathing, is eating really such a chore? I love my food, I really do, and I want my meals to be exciting and full of flavour. I spend time thinking about what I want to eat, and get pleasure in innumerable trips to the shops to pick up little bits. Food is the source of LIFE and should never be anything but pleasurable. The Chinese believe that your intent and emotions go into your cooking - I think the same could be said from taking the time to source the food that keeps us alive.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    Disagree. I recently read a stat that 40% of the average food spending in the US is done at restaurants. Take that money and spend it at the grocery store on healthy, fresh food and you will spend less.

If you are already doing that, it comes down to careful choices. Yes, fresh fruit is more expensive than a can of Coke, but there are lots of options to cut the food bill. Consider frozen veggies. Nutritionally, they are almost, if not as good as fresh, and provide good value for the dollar without a lot of added sodium. I buy most of my bread in the day old section, and pop it into the freezer. We just toast all of our bread from frozen, so the expiry date doesn't matter. Purchase a cheaper cut of meat, and break out the crock pot. Eat root veggies in season, like potatoes, carrots, etc. which can be very affordable.

There are ways to do it, but it takes work. We do it, and I'll admit I shop without a lot of consideration of the cost, we are not rich by any means.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I completely disagree.

But I guess it depends on where you live.... It seems like vegetables in america are really expensive?? Or that the junkfood is just that much cheaper.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    disagree

my shopping bill has went down ALOT this year. We plant most all our vegies during the summer months so really just the cost of seeds and some water for when we where low on rain.
    Meats I buy in bulk at Sams club come home portion them up into serving size amounts (freezer bags) and stick them in the freezer
    of the few vegies I don`t grow or in the winter I will buy fresh and do the same as meat freezer bags they last longer that way and taste just as good

fruits are pricie but still much cheaper than the pop I was buying before so still saving money since I know longer purchase pop for our home

water we bought a filter to go over the tap and just drink it right from there (30.00 start up one time and 9.95 every 3/4months for a new filter)

Milk I buy in NY state for about half the price it is here in PA plus thats where our closest Sams club is so its not out of my way at all
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    There are certain foods that are more expensive and some are less. I've noticed that the little Koren market store in my area has much better deals in meat/produce than the big chain down the road. It's about 50% difference. And it's so much fresher! Can you imagine buying ground beef that's red from the outside all the way to the inside? The big brand store always has it pink and icky brown in the middle. So why does it cost more?

I also try to buy bulk. Meat and fruit that spoils fast can be divided up in containers and frozen!

Hope this helps.
  • craftzilla
    Options
    Completely agree! I work in an urban high school. Kids who are lower income levels (and their families) have more to think about/more stress in their lives. Life isn't about making good food choices; it's about survival. When you have to focus on survival and where your next meal comes from, you don't always care what it is. Also, so much of eating healthy is a socio-economic value. Our value system, as wealthier people (in comparison with most of the world, for example), is to eat healthier. This is not typically a value passed on among those living in poverty. My parents, even if it didn't work, tried to stress healthy eating. In my students from lower-socioeconomic status, I see a complete lack of knowledge about what it means to eat healthy!
  • craftzilla
    Options
    Disagree, but with reservations. I don't think it's as simple as rich or poor.
    I think the issue is not so much about money, as about education, time and lateral thinking.
    I believe that you can eat healthy on a budget but you need to be aware of where to shop, have transport options to shop around, hunt out healthy recipes, make time and have the equipment and resources to cook at home, think creatively about changing your ideas of what makes a meal etc.
    Not everybody has these skills/resources and being poor often (but not always!) goes hand in hand with less education and a less stable living situation.
    Completely agree! Great points.
  • Cornpuff32
    Options
    I totally disagree

It depends on where you shop. I can get a box of cherry tomatoes from Sainsburys for £1.50 or from a local market for 39p - no contest. It all depends on where you shop and if you buy in season or not.

Shopping in season is definitely key! I'm getting sad now that the growing season is almost over and we only have a month or so of abundant fresh local veggies at the farmers market. Just like the poster above it definitely depends on where you shop as well. Buying fresh veggies and fruits that are in bulk is cheaper then the fresh bagged or boxed versions. My boyfriend and I don't mind the skin on carrots, so we buy the bunches and cut them up instead of buying the pre-processed baby carrots. A vegetable peeler is only 1-2 bucks for a cheap metal one!

Taking the time to plan ahead, and plan meals out for the week, help us keep our grocery bill consistent.

Bananas, apples (in season or in a region that grows them) and grapes seem to be some of the cheapest fruits.

I don't think eating healthy is a luxury for the rich...but being able to shop without planning definitely is.

Craftzilla had some of the same points! Good post!
  • Nishka09
    Nishka09 Posts: 33
    Options
    This is an interesting argument. I think that most are arguing over semantics though. It is well documented that in the U.S. healthier, lower calorie, nutrition dense food is more expensive. Here is one study (by the gov't no less):

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/newsroom/impact/2008/nri/03191_food_prices.html

Not sure if this is true in Canada and England though. In Canada it seems packaged shelf food is much more expensive than in the U.S, and fruits and vegetables are much more affordable.

It also depends on what you are buying, for example beans and brown rice vs. asparagus and salmon, farm raised vs. wild, regular vs. organic, etc. But I think it is pretty well documented that healthier foods, in general, are more expensive.
  • michaelachallis
    michaelachallis Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I feel like living In New Zealand we don't have as much of a range of really healthy food (excluding fruit and veg) and what we do have is significantly more expensive than the unhealthy options with are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper.
  • litlpineapple
    litlpineapple Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    ... It all depends on where you shop and if you buy in season or not.

Totally agree! If you work your meals around buying fresh produce that's on sale/in-season and fresh cut meats on sale/from a good butcher, I find you spend less on more fulfilling healthy meals. And left-overs! Prepping and cooking fresh is more laborious, I get lazy and eat out frequently :( , but I would say "healthy eating" is definitely do-able on a budget.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting argument. I think that most are arguing over semantics though. It is well documented that in the U.S. healthier, lower calorie, nutrition dense food is more expensive. Here is one study (by the gov't no less):

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/newsroom/impact/2008/nri/03191_food_prices.html

Not sure if this is true in Canada and England though. In Canada it seems packaged shelf food is much more expensive than in the U.S, and fruits and vegetables are much more affordable.

It also depends on what you are buying, for example beans and brown rice vs. asparagus and salmon, farm raised vs. wild, regular vs. organic, etc. But I think it is pretty well documented that healthier foods, in general, are more expensive.

That's a very interesting piece of research. I suspect, though, that they turned a blind eye to nutrient rich, high calorie density foods like nuts and olive oil because they didn't fit the pattern they were trying to find, as they cost so much.

What I found rather ridiculous was the conclusion that education was the answer. They had worked out that on $3 a day, in order to get 2000 calories a day, people had no choice but to eat low cost, high calorie foods. That's not a situation you can educate away. Economic problems require economic solutions, such as switching subsidies, but such moves would be unpopular with the electorate.

It also said that the average spend was $7 a day, which is where education should come into play. If it costs $3 to get 2000 calories of junk, to be as heavy as they are, some people are clearly getting more than $3 a day in junk. Plus, maintaining a high weight requires far more than 2000 calories a day.

I hate good research with illogical conclusions. Either clever researchers become stupid, or, more likely, they feel their conclusion has to be the one their paymasters (in this case the US government) wanted them to find.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Craftzilla, you are a very empathic person with a difficult job. Sometimes there is a time/affordability payoff. Cheaper often means more energy/time expended to prepare. Some people are very time poor as well as income poor, so they perhaps do not have the resources to source/prepare and store food. It does take a lot of planning to eat healthy on a budget.

Bananas, did someone mention bananas? They are still hovering around $10/kg here in Australia :-(

GG
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Ouch to the bananas! I get 6 bananas for about £1.36, I think... And they're fair trade!
  • sbeasty1
    Options
    I have to say, I agree. I walk into my local supermarket and there are mutiple packs of chocolate bars on offer for £1..head to the fruit section and one punnet of strawberries is almost £3! And a chocolate bar would fill me up more than strawberries! also nuts and things are v.expensive.
    "Bad" foods are so much cheaper. I could head to Iceland and have a whole freezer full of frozen junk food alot cheaper than a fridge full of fresh food...but as another member commented, if you cut out takeaways and a bit of eating out then you can spend the pennies elsewhere and have treats which are good for you, such as nice, good quality meat, vegetables and fruit. You will soon feel better and feel, as i now do, it's money well spent.
  • MuffinMan25
    Options
    the Wife and Myself spend about $1000.00 a month in food. We always have fresh meals including vegetables and fruit, and lots of fish. Im kind of addicted to subway as well. lol. I view our spending on food an investment of our well being. Your health IS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IN YOUR LIFE!!!!! REMEMBER THAT!!