Eating healthy is privilege of the rich?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• 8rules
    8rules Posts: 169
    Options
    definitely costs us more to eat properly, especially in the winter months. at this time of year, we have fabulous produce, being very close to areas that grow stuff (foodland ontario, etc) but over the winter, the prices climb and climb, and there is some stuff that you simply cannot get.

I have the same problem, living in North Bay. Your fresh food is now always trucked in from the USA so costs a bit more, however, I can still get a huge head of cabbage for 1 buck, a huge bag of raw baby spinach for 3 bucks, etc... I would bet I only spend 10 bucks more every 2 weeks total as a result of following seasonal foods. Family of four.

I think, in the winter, grain products seem to get very inexpensive, so the fresh foods seem more expensive by comparison as well.
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't agree. My grocery bill for two adults is about £30-40 per week (not including non-food items). This gets us a whole lot of fresh fruit, we have an allotment so I'm hardly buying any veg at the moment and my freezer is full of veg I have frozen.

Meat is more expensive if bought fresh rather than frozen, but check out offers in supermarkets, the quantity of meat we eat has dropped when I started upping the veg content on the plate, last week I made a chicken dish using 2 large chicken breasts from the butchers and it fed 6 adults, comfortably- that's got to be good value for money!

Also if you can, find a good local butcher. Invest in some of the cheaper cuts of meat, that although have more fat content, are tastier and I would say healthier than meat that has been pumped full of water and god knows what to ensure it freezes and can be cooked from frozen! We regularly buy breast of lamb, for about £5 for two - we get about 5-6 meals out of that! I used to buy mince from the supermarket and I would use about 500g for two adults, because there was no fat on it and it would be swimming in water when cooked, now I get it from the butchers, 1kg (about 2lb) for £5 and per 2servings I use 150g, so that is much more cost effective.