Did you lose weight after having the Mirena taken out?

Options

Replies

• carmenstop1
    carmenstop1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Google Mirena and Thryoid function.... I posted one link, there are hundreds out there!

Did you keep scrolling down the link I provided and read all the interactions listed? Including weigh gain. I know lots of people that had thyroid problems for years before they got tested and found out that was the problem.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Google Mirena and Thryoid function.... I posted one link, there are hundreds out there!

Did you keep scrolling down the link I provided and read all the interactions listed? Including weigh gain. I know lots of people that had thyroid problems for years before they got tested and found out that was the problem.

I would be glad to read any peer-reviewed studies linking the Mirena with changes in thyroid function. I am not going to read Yahoo questions and blog/forum posts.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Terreidh: I'm sorry to hear about your story. My heart goes out to you and I will pray you can return back to normal. You probably already took alot of tests, but it's true, test your thyroid. I think Mirena causes thyroid problems. Also maybe you need to take something natural to help build your natural progesterone back since Mirena messes with hormones. Maybe you already looked into all of this, but just wanted to put that out there.

No it doesn't mess with your thyroid.

Mirena is a low dose BC method and has less hormones released than the pill.

Odd a member since April 2011...finally found this post...most interesting.

I'm sorry to tell you my dear, but yes the Mirena does mess with thyroid function....

http://www.drugs.com/disease-interactions/levonorgestrel,mirena.html

It messes with a lot of things!

Read what this poor woman has been through before you keep putting the rest of us down.

http://lifeaftermirena.blogspot.ca/2008/02/update.html

What does when she found the post have to do with anything? I have been a member since 2010 and just found this post in January....???

No it doesn't...I have read the trials on Mirena and no where is thyroid issues cited as a side effect

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=12313

Anything you site was a blog or what that person felt happened with no proof

I am not putting anyone down but I won't let you spread misinformation either.

And if you were familiar with clinical trials you would know that anyone participating is told to report anything out of the ordinary to the researchers. Thyroid conditions are not listed in the side effects of almost 100k women who participated in the trials.

So weight gain during clinical trials of mirena mean nothing esp when it was less than 4% and they were not on a calorie controlled diet. As well Mirena actually has less hormones than oral contraception so if women were going to be affected by Mirena they would be affected by all BC that has hormones.
  • angierosed
    angierosed Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Regarding Thyroid issues. I saw some people had indirect thyroid issues after taking Mirena form reading blogs. My point was to check your thyroid just in case. The end.
  • carmenstop1
    Options
    Terreidh: I'm sorry to hear about your story. My heart goes out to you and I will pray you can return back to normal. You probably already took alot of tests, but it's true, test your thyroid. I think Mirena causes thyroid problems. Also maybe you need to take something natural to help build your natural progesterone back since Mirena messes with hormones. Maybe you already looked into all of this, but just wanted to put that out there.

I'm sorry to tell you my dear, but yes the Mirena does mess with thyroid function....

Read what this poor woman has been through before you keep putting the rest of us down.

What does when she found the post have to do with anything? I have been a member since 2010 and just found this post in January....???

No it doesn't...I have read the trials on Mirena and no where is thyroid issues cited as a side effect

And if you were familiar with clinical trials you would know that anyone participating is told to report anything out of the ordinary to the researchers. Thyroid conditions are not listed in the side effects of almost 100k women who participated in the trials.

So weight gain during clinical trials of mirena mean nothing esp when it was less than 4% and they were not on a calorie controlled diet. As well Mirena actually has less hormones than oral contraception so if women were going to be affected by Mirena they would be affected by all BC that has hormones.

What misinformation am I spreading? How is any link that you provide any more reliable than one I provided?

I also have some personal experience with this....I had horrible side effects from this thing, and no one ever told me that if I was having side effects to contact researchers...that was never mentioned to me! There is also a whole aspect of the Canada vs Mirena Lawsuit about how the Canadian labeling was inferior to the US labeling....I live in Canada!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-headlines/popular-contraceptive-device-mirena-target-of-lawsuits-in-canada-u-s-1.1832588
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I just wanted to add to this and say that the release of hormones by Mirena is localized to the uterus anyway, unlike birth control pills. I think if more people understood how Mirena actually works, they wouldn't blame it for problems that have no way of interacting with the Mirena.

Seriously, did anyone take the time to read this when they got it put in?

http://www.mirena-us.com/about-mirena/how-mirena-works.php
  • SezxyStef
    Options

What misinformation am I spreading? How is any link that you provide any more reliable than one I provided?

I also have some personal experience with this....I had horrible side effects from this thing, and no one ever told me that if I was having side effects to contact researchers...that was never mentioned to me! There is also a whole aspect of the Canada vs Mirena Lawsuit about how the Canadian labeling was inferior to the US labeling....I live in Canada!

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/health-headlines/popular-contraceptive-device-mirena-target-of-lawsuits-in-canada-u-s-1.1832588

mine would be peer reviewed and you can tell that by the nih.gov

and you don't contact researchers unless you are part of the trial...and I live in Canada too...my ob/gyn (my aunt) wouldn't give me anything that would harm me.

The mis-information is about it causing thyroid issues it doesn't and if you read the clinical trials you would be better equipped to add helpful information to this thread. Such as 98000 women participated in them and only about 4200 reported weight gain therefore it HAS to be listed as a side effect. Anything unusual is reported and listed..and no where on any of the medical lit for MIrena is thyroid issues mentioned...hence out of the 98000 trial participants in two different trials had issues with the thyroid.

I am not saying there are no side effects there are...I just didn't suffer from most. I did however stop having a cycle...and there was some breast tenderness etc...my weight gain was from me eating too much...how do I know that..cause when I stopped I lost weight.

@Jcast...no they don't read it nor do they read any lit pertaining to the trials just blogs and posts on forums to "confirm" what they think. Personal opinions are not facts....or they would also know that Mirena releases I believe 20 units of hormones locally where the pill releases 150 units throughout the body....and that is a day...
  • amreadarrens
    amreadarrens Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Oh my.. I am planing for it, It is a good thing I have not decided yet. and thanks for this post I will continue the natural diet
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    Options

mine would be peer reviewed and you can tell that by the nih.gov

and you don't contact researchers unless you are part of the trial...and I live in Canada too...my ob/gyn (my aunt) wouldn't give me anything that would harm me.

The mis-information is about it causing thyroid issues it doesn't and if you read the clinical trials you would be better equipped to add helpful information to this thread. Such as 98000 women participated in them and only about 4200 reported weight gain therefore it HAS to be listed as a side effect. Anything unusual is reported and listed..and no where on any of the medical lit for MIrena is thyroid issues mentioned...hence out of the 98000 trial participants in two different trials had issues with the thyroid.

I am not saying there are no side effects there are...I just didn't suffer from most. I did however stop having a cycle...and there was some breast tenderness etc...my weight gain was from me eating too much...how do I know that..cause when I stopped I lost weight.

@Jcast...no they don't read it nor do they read any lit pertaining to the trials just blogs and posts on forums to "confirm" what they think. Personal opinions are not facts....or they would also know that Mirena releases I believe 20 units of hormones locally where the pill releases 150 units throughout the body....and that is a day...

Seriously!! Regarding the hormones though, I have better news. 20 mcg, or 0.02 mg, are released by Mirena initially, and this amount decreases by about 50% over the 5 years. And remember we're talking about release into the uterus, so if any of it makes it into the bloodstream it's only a fraction of those 0.02 mg.

In contrast, a typical low dosage birth control pills releases 0.180 mg of hormones into the bloodstream on the lower dosage days. That's a huge, huge difference.

Here are my sources for anyone who still thinks Mirena makes you hormonal:

https://www.thepill.com/sites/default/files/pdf/Tri-Cyclen_Lo_PI.pdf

http://labeling.bayerhealthcare.com/html/products/pi/Mirena_PI.pdf
  • carmenstop1
    Options
    I may not have a medical degree, but here is my peer review....this little piece of hormonal coated plastic almost ruined my life! I have always been a positive, happy person and suddenly I was suffering from depression. Then one day I had a moment when I was driving home from work on the highway and I had a sudden urge to turn my truck in front of a semi. I drove home and sat in my truck and cried. That is the moment I started to question what was wrong...the only thing I could come up with was the Mirena. I started research when that night and what I found shocked me!

Since removal, my life has turned around 180 degrees. I am sleeping at night, my hair stopped falling out, my skin cleared up, my breasts stopped aching, my sex drive came back, I have more energy, my sense of humor came back and I don't look and feel like I am 6 months pregnant. I started to care about my life, my house, my kids and my friends again. Weight gain is only a small part of the problem I had with this thing.

Everything was great in my life before Mirena, absolutely sucked for the 19 months I had it in, and then improved 100% when I removed it....coincidence? I think not! I did love the no periods for the 17 months, I enjoyed that perk.

If you honestly think that pharmaceutical companies are looking out for your best interests, I am truly saddened for you. I have a friend who worked as a rep for a pharmaceutical company and she could tell you stories about drugs that would never let you sleep at night.

To those of you defending this thing...I am honestly happy that you have not had any problems with it. I wouldn't wish the bad parts on my worst enemy. But you have to realize that you are not in the majority. I hope that you never suffer any side effects or long term damage from it! I just found out a friend of mine had it in for years before they decided to have kids. They just decided about a year ago to take it out and start trying. It had perforated her uterus and now the doctors think that she will never be able to have children of their own. My heart is breaking for them.

To those of you who have had problems with the Mirena, you aren't crazy and you aren't alone!

Peace and love to all of you.
  • angierosed
    Options
    My major problem with Mirena was MAJOR stomach Bloating! It stretched out so much and it made me feel like I ate a HUGE Turkey dinner. I looked 3 months pregnant! It was very uncomfortable. So I would like to say that the Bloating DID finally go down about 4 weeks after I got it removed, just to give you guys some hope that had this same issue. It took some time, but it went away.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    If you like the IUD get the non hormonal ten year copper old school one, it is the added hormones in Mirena that **** with you.

There is no need to add hormones to an IUD as they are as effective without them.

I had the non hormal IUD for many years and not one single problem other than heavier periods.

The hormones in BC really **** with some women, my sister gained a ton of weight on hormonal BC.

I agree they can cause issues I have never disputed that. What I do dispute is the assertion that they cause thyroid issues and more than lets say 15lbs of weight gain. They don't.

Mirena is not for everyone but to blame it for gaining 50+lbs is just well...ludacris...

AS for the non hormonal one I personally couldn't use it...the reason I need the hormones is to stop my cycle...if not I can't leave the house, I become anemic and have major issues to the point where surgery was the next step.

@ carmenstop1 no one is disputing your personal symptoms unless you are claiming it caused 25+lbs in weight gain. It is unfortunate that you had that serious of an issue but your doctor should have been monitoring you all along and if they weren't then they are at fault for not catching it earlier. Those of us with good experiences actually are in the majority. AS for your friend again that's too bad but any item inserted in a womans uterus and left there has that chance including the old copper T iud and the paraguard....but there are maybe what....on these boards 400 (and I am being generous) stories of women who have blamed it for weight gain and maybe 10 who have had worse symtoms such as yourself...correlate that outwards and yah no...Mirena has a good track record...

As you note in my last post I said Yes there are side effects but thyroid issues is not one of them. But mostly these threads are about weight gain...which is why I am here to post. Mirena can cause some weight gain but for most of these ladies that isn't the reason they are 25+ lbs over weight...it is because they are consuming too much food.
  • passion3flower
    passion3flower Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    There's a very informative site with lots of information on how to lose weight and get rid of the mirena iud side effects and find other natural birth control options. Check out: http://mirenadetox.com/mirena-weight-gain/ Her detox has also been immensely helpful to my recovery and I seriously recommend it
  • passion3flower
    passion3flower Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hope this helps! :smile:
  • galooshka28
    galooshka28 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    All i can say that the weight gain has stopped after i had taken the mirena out but the other symptoms are still here
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    All i can say that the weight gain has stopped after i had taken the mirena out but the other symptoms are still here

do you think that might be because one of the side effects of Mirena is "increased appetite" as well..and you aren't eating as much now...

Even if you are active if you don't log accurately which means weighing solids measuring liquids you don't know if you are in a deficit.

And chances are your diary was open we could see the issue.
  • galooshka28
    galooshka28 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Mirena didn't increase my appetite. The chances are that the extra hormones that are supposed to stay local got in to the blood stream. My doctor told me that it takes about 6 month to a year for synthetic progesterone to leave the body.I am a nurse and done my research on this topic.
  • angierosed
    Options
    I highly feel that Mirena caused my bloating and weight gain. I did not change my diet. In fact I eventually went on a gluten and dairy free diet for 3 weeks and still didn't lose the bloating or weight. I completely believe that it messes with your natural progesterone making you gain weight and have other symptoms related to a pregnant lady or menopausal lady. It even made me moody and snappy. Some people are just fine on Mirena (like my cousin). This message board is a group where us that do have issues can vent and get help and support from each other.
  • carmenstop1
    Options
    So Sezxy Stef, you have no problem admitting that the Mirena causes all sorts of hormonal imbalances, makes your hair fall out, causes depression, bad skin problems, sore boobs, no sex drive...and on and on, but you have a problem with the weight gain??? Why exactly? You do realize that one of the ways that it works is that it tricks your body into thinking it's pregnant. When I was pregnant, I gained a lot of weight!

I read on another post where you were exulting the wonders of Mirena that you don't even have one.... you had it removed because you had problems with it! Do you own shares in the company or what exactly is your end game in defending this thing?

As for the majority/minority, I am going to disagree with you again, I have had no less than 9 private messages or friend requests from ladies that read my post and identified with my problems, none of them have commented on this post. Not everyone wants to put their problems out in public, especially when there are people like you that are judging and making them sound crazy for blaming this thing for their issues. There are more forums than Myfitnesspal on the internet, google "problem with Mirena" and see how many hundreds/thousands of posts are out there from other women, Sparkpeople has a really good discussion going on about it....but of course it isn't peer reviewed and can't be believed by ordinary people...right?