Wendler 5/3/1

Options

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Bent over rows week 2, 145lbs x 7. I almost hit my goal of 4 sets of 10 reps on chin-ups. I did 3 sets of 10 and 1 set of 9. I probably could've "kipped" the last one but I figured I'd get it next week.

Nicely done.

I'm in deload week. I've already configured my workouts (new assistance exercises) for the next 8 weeks. I stick with the same assistance work for 8 weeks and then switch it up.

That's cool. I'm having a hard time getting away from a 6-day split, I just love having two days where I can focus on other stuff. Right now one day is Lat's and Bi's and then the 6th day is upper back but I use 5/3/1 for bent over rows and then assistance work. I'm feeling really good so I'm going to stick with it for now. 5/3/1 is a solid system but it's relatively easy on the joints, at least for me.

I'm still struggling with deadlift day to a point. The Sumo Deadlift is definitely saving my back a little but I'm not sure about the assistance work, just been playing with something until it feels right. Next week I'm thinking of trying,

Deadlift 5/3/1
    Power Cleans from the Hang - possibly in a 5/3/1 style, not sure. Perhaps just 5 sets of 3.
    Broad jumps 5 sets of 8-10
    Box jumps 5 sets of 8-10

Basically keep the deadlift workout focused on more explosive work. Thoughts?
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    I'm still struggling with deadlift day to a point. The Sumo Deadlift is definitely saving my back a little but I'm not sure about the assistance work, just been playing with something until it feels right. Next week I'm thinking of trying,

Deadlift 5/3/1
    Power Cleans from the Hang - possibly in a 5/3/1 style, not sure. Perhaps just 5 sets of 3.
    Broad jumps 5 sets of 8-10
    Box jumps 5 sets of 8-10

Basically keep the deadlift workout focused on more explosive work. Thoughts?

I use a trap bar for deadlifts a) because I have one and b) because I have no desire to compete in a meet. Otherwise, I'd use the sumo style.

I don't see a problem with the deadlift workout. Heck, Wendler himself uses the Prowler after some of his workouts so I don't see the plyo work you're doing beating you up too much.
  • JNick77
    Options
    That's cool, I wish my gym had a drap deadlift otherwise I'd probably use that too.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    I've decided to up my game. I'm going to add a few more hours walking to my workout and drop Wendler's deload week (after finishing this week), for now. Unlike HIIT & distance running, I'll be able to walk as much as I want without losing valuable muscle.

I'll add the deload back once I feel that I'm starting to stall. So I'll be doing 3 weeks, restart, etc....

My main goal is to shed fat while retaining as much size as possible, gaining some if possible.
  • JNick77
    Options
    I've decided to up my game. I'm going to add a few more hours walking to my workout and drop Wendler's deload week (after finishing this week), for now. Unlike HIIT & distance running, I'll be able to walk as much as I want without losing valuable muscle.

I'll add the deload back once I feel that I'm starting to stall. So I'll be doing 3 weeks, restart, etc....

My main goal is to shed fat while retaining as much size as possible, gaining some if possible.

I have pretty similar goals. I'm just trying to get leaner and add some strength which is working very well for me right now.

Today is my week 3 and I feel great. Did OHP with 160lbs for 6 reps. Not a ton of weight but considering where I started the year off I'm pretty happy with that and I think I can hit 200lbs for a single by the end of the year, barring injury of course.

I totall agree with your choice on the Deload; I think Deloads need to be auto-regulated and just not automatically forced. At least not for more experienced lifters. Let your body tell you when you need to deload. There are varying opinions on this but you just need to find what works for you.

Cardio-wise I'm keeping it simple and low-intensity. Right now I'm doing cardio at least 4 times a week for 30 minutes on a treadmill with a number 4 incline. I want to get the cardio in but I don't want to risk losing any muscle in the process. I use to do a weekly 5k on Sunday and I'm considering adding that back in but I'm not sure.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    I totall agree with your choice on the Deload; I think Deloads need to be auto-regulated and just not automatically forced. At least not for more experienced lifters. Let your body tell you when you need to deload. There are varying opinions on this but you just need to find what works for you.

Cardio-wise I'm keeping it simple and low-intensity. Right now I'm doing cardio at least 4 times a week for 30 minutes on a treadmill with a number 4 incline. I want to get the cardio in but I don't want to risk losing any muscle in the process. I use to do a weekly 5k on Sunday and I'm considering adding that back in but I'm not sure.

I don't mind the deload but I'd rather just keep going. I'm so fired up with the constant progress that the deload seems like letting the air out of my balloon. I scale it back when I NEED to. Just want to get super strong while retaining mass. I eat Paleo so I don't know exactly how much mass I could add. Plus I'm 43 years old.

What actually prompted me to increase the walking was a recent article in T-Nation. You probably already saw it. Great site. Just like BB.com you have to weed through some broscience...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/get_ripped_get_walking

Also a good OHP article...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/are_you_ready_to_overhead_press
  • JNick77
    Options

I don't mind the deload but I'd rather just keep going. I'm so fired up with the constant progress that the deload seems like letting the air out of my balloon. I scale it back when I NEED to. Just want to get super strong while retaining mass. I eat Paleo so I don't know exactly how much mass I could add. Plus I'm 43 years old.

What actually prompted me to increase the walking was a recent article in T-Nation. You probably already saw it. Great site. Just like BB.com you have to weed through some broscience...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/get_ripped_get_walking

Also a good OHP article...

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/are_you_ready_to_overhead_press

When I tried the Deload before as scheduled I felt like I lost something when I was back for the next phase. I plan on going until I feel that it's needed.

Yeah there are a lot of good articles on T-Nation. I love it because so many high level experts contribute to the site. Dr. Lonnie Lowery also has a good article on fasted cardio from a few months back.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Yeah there are a lot of good articles on T-Nation. I love it because so many high level experts contribute to the site. Dr. Lonnie Lowery also has a good article on fasted cardio from a few months back.

Martin Berkhan (LeanGains) posted that article awhile back and I've been using those methods, with success, for a few months now.
  • JNick77
    Options

Martin Berkhan (LeanGains) posted that article awhile back and I've been using those methods, with success, for a few months now.

I'm really good that these guys have posted such articles because as much as I like sprinting I really just don't have the time for it. Doing some low-intensity steady state cardio after lifting is just perfect for me.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Pretty jacked to start my 3rd wave of Wendler 5/3/1 tomorrow. Changing up all of the assistance exercises.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Pretty jacked to start my 3rd wave of Wendler 5/3/1 tomorrow. Changing up all of the assistance exercises.

Nice, sounds fun. Anything particularly interesting?

Today was my deadlift session and I went ahead with assistance work focusing more on power / reactive work. I did Cleans, Box Jumps and Broad Jump Series and it went well; I like how it felt so we'll see how it goes.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

Nice, sounds fun. Anything particularly interesting?

Today was my deadlift session and I went ahead with assistance work focusing more on power / reactive work. I did Cleans, Box Jumps and Broad Jump Series and it went well; I like how it felt so we'll see how it goes.

Can't remember all of the specifics but I know I'll be subbing out flat DB presses with inclines and I'll also be doing some cable rows which I haven't done in ages.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    MONSTER bench press day as I got 11 reps on my last set of 5. Felt VERY strong and probably left 2 in the tank. This was after adjusting my working max up 10 lbs instead of the prescribed 5. This new bench press stance locks my delts in and I don't feel the pain a bit.
  • JNick77
    Options
    MONSTER bench press day as I got 11 reps on my last set of 5. Felt VERY strong and probably left 2 in the tank. This was after adjusting my working max up 10 lbs instead of the prescribed 5. This new bench press stance locks my delts in and I don't feel the pain a bit.

Damn nice work, 10lb increase and you doubled the reps! Hell yeah.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    Did squats yesterday and it seems like I'm almost hitting the wall for 5's. Only got 6 reps on my last set. May need to deload soon.
  • JNick77
    Options
    Did squats yesterday and it seems like I'm almost hitting the wall for 5's. Only got 6 reps on my last set. May need to deload soon.

You may just need to reset although a deload isnt a bad thing. Just recalc your est 1RM based on JW calc and use the 90% of that number as your new training max. I may take a deload after this phase myself, we'll see. I really want to push hard through the end of the year.
  • BR1986FB
    Options

You may just need to reset although a deload isnt a bad thing. Just recalc your est 1RM based on JW calc and use the 90% of that number as your new training max. I may take a deload after this phase myself, we'll see. I really want to push hard through the end of the year.

BP, DL & OHP isn't even close to needing a deload but squats? :explode:
  • JNick77
    Options
    I hear ya, its frustrating. Maybe you just started too heavy and need a reset then.
  • BR1986FB
    Options
    I hear ya, its frustrating. Maybe you just started too heavy and need a reset then.

Quite possibly.

This morning was OHP and I got 7 reps but I was dragging. Went to bed later than usual because I was waiting up for this buffoon to deliver the new Synergy Green Camaro (it didn't arrive) that I ordered from out of state. Got up for the workout at 3:30am. Cut the cardio (usual 45 minute walk) short to 30 minutes. Felt like a walking zombie. Thursday DL's will be better.
  • JNick77
    Options

Quite possibly.

This morning was OHP and I got 7 reps but I was dragging. Went to bed later than usual because I was waiting up for this buffoon to deliver the new Synergy Green Camaro (it didn't arrive) that I ordered from out of state. Got up for the workout at 3:30am. Cut the cardio (usual 45 minute walk) short to 30 minutes. Felt like a walking zombie. Thursday DL's will be better.

We all have our ****ty days. Gratz on the Camaro, I'm seriously jealous.